Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,075
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 820 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 183 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 182 183
T
T
nehunter, I am not sure if the Eagle is keeping the cormorants away. I did see six of them at the pond a couple of days ago but the next day the Bald Eagle showed back up again this year. And he is observing things from a large tree that is real close to the pond. I have not seen a cormorant since. I can tell you the Osprey did run off a lot of birds including the Great Blue Herron's. He also kept the Kingfisher off the pond. The Osprey seems to be very aggressive and territorial.

Flame, I had a pair of woodies land on the pond yesterday evening. I've had large groups (flights) of them ( 10 to 15 per group and as many as 3 flights at a time ) land on the pond and they would go right after the feeders when they went off. It totally surprised me how they would go right to the feeder. Not sure if they were familiar with feeders or the splash of the cnbg feeding. I removed my wood duck boxes from the pond. I just did not like the possibility of my bass eating the ducklings. I am cleaning and moving the boxes to the bayou.

Last edited by TGW1; 02/27/19 08:30 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
C
CMM Offline
C
I ordered my first batch of fish food for the year! Cannot wait for West Central Missouri to warm up enough to start feeding.

CMM

H
H
Have two ponds next to each other. Shiners are getting plentiful in the one without largemouth. Ice fished for awhile and caught a couple dozen 3.5- 4.5” ones, snipped off about 85% of their tails and put them in the bg lmb pond. Hopefully take a little pressure off the bg for a bit. Was trying for pumpkinseeds, yp and smb in one pond, bg and lmb in the other. The smb aren’t keeping up predation so I’m planning on moving over some of the lmb culls this spring. Tons of shiners, yp and little pumpkin seeds for them. I expect they’ll grow quickly. Still hoping to keep one pond for bg and one for pumpkinseeds. Time will tell.
The sun felt different, days are getting longer. Our local lakes have more ice cover than they have in decades. But it’ll go pretty quickly now.
Looks like I’m going to be eating more little lmb than I’d originally planned. Culling lmb from both ponds is going to become the majority of the fishing done here from the look of it.

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
It was a day of 7s here today. The air temp was 78f, the surface temp was 72f and the Ph measured 7.5. The fish are getting really active. My three LMB were cruising around together, first time Ive seen that since I transplanted them last year. The largest of the three looks to be around 2 lbs now, and they all look really healthy. Actually saw the biggest clear water in hot pursuit of some kind of panfish and all three have been busting heads on and off all day. I'm going to lay off feeding again for a while longer, so my bigger fish will have to feed naturally, but I'm thinking I may start back up around May.

I walk the pond every day hoping I'll see one of my LMB making a bed, but so far...nothing. If they don't do something soon, I guess I either have all boys or all girls. Not a totally bad situation, but I really hope I might get a little recruitment from them. The water temp is definitely warm enough now, but there is no sign of any active beds and since they're all cruising, I'm kinda doubting they're ready yet.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
A
A
Tracy, eagles have stolen fish from cormorants and even attacked them at my place. If that helps move the cormorants along I'm all for it.

Saw five deer and two geese last time I visited. Still want to raise water level a few inches before summer dry spell hits. Moved furniture to place on the lake, so glad we have a ramp!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

A
A
I hit the marsh at Eagle Bluffs conservation area over the weekend in hopes of catching some grass shrimp and scuds.

I didn't find either of those, but I did come across a pool that was absolutely swarming with daphnia. I collected many thousands that I brought home and dumped into my pond.

Originally Posted By: Augie
I hit the marsh at Eagle Bluffs conservation area over the weekend in hopes of catching some grass shrimp and scuds.

I didn't find either of those, but I did come across a pool that was absolutely swarming with daphnia. I collected many thousands that I brought home and dumped into my pond.

It's trips like that that bring out the 10 year old in me! It sounds like it was good day.

Fish on!,
Noel
Just took my afternoon stroll around the pond and found 5 different GSF, all around 7", tending nests. Apparently, one of them had already been visited by a female, as it was loaded with 2-3" raiders, picking the bottom of the nest clean. Still no sign that any of my LMB are interested in spawning.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
A
A
Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
Originally Posted By: Augie

It's trips like that that bring out the 10 year old in me! It sounds like it was good day.

Yeah I was tickled. The only fish in my pond are a couple dozen FHM that I tossed in after going crappie fishing yesterday so the daphnia should have a chance to become established before there's anything in there that wants to eat them.

I also dipped up half a dozen gambusia minnows from the marsh. I put those in my wife's aquarium with the guppies. lol

J
J
We have another warm spell going. The CC are feeding on top again.

B
B
John, it was only about 50 hear today but I threw out a few handfuls of feed and had lots of FHM coming up to feed. The sunshine had some of them on top already. I'm hoping for some good rain over the next few days, so I can stock something besides FHM.lol!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
Looked for curly-leaf pondweed in the YP/SMB pond again yesterday and could not see any. Should this be breaking the surface now in central Indiana? It seems hard to believe that the papershell crayfish have been this effective at controlling it. Water is a bit cloudy from the recent rains, so maybe I am just not seeing it yet.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Curly-leaf pond weed in Indiana normally does not reach the surface in 6ft-7ft of water until sometime in May. However it could by end of March be 2ft tall.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
S
Put up four new Wood Duck houses and maintained 4 put up last spring - one successful hatch in four houses spring '18 in "Beaver" pond named for obvious reasons.

Great time to get them up.

8 Ponds in Mid-East Ohio, three streams that merge to 1.

Fishbowl Pond - 1.5 acre, family swimming hole, 22'
Figure 8 Pond - 1.25 acre, 12'
Crescent Pond - 2 acre 11'
S
S
That is "cool"!

wood duck pics

Last edited by snrub; 03/14/19 05:20 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
I checked on the flooding going on, my pond has come up 3 ft in the last two days due to snow melt and rain, it is getting a thorough flushing. Ice was 12-15" thick this last weekend and has done some funky stuff with the water level rise. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the sudden influx of very cold water does not kill a bunch of my redears.

C
C
I also watched the flooding. Pond came up 3 ft from full capacity . The snow blocked/slowed down the overflow . Buddy came over and built a 4ft snow damn and saved my basement. So thankful. 3 plus inches of rain and snow melt in 24 hours has southeastern South Dakota looking like a waterworks. Thankful we got lucky waters are receding now. Praying for others and the farmers that have calf’s dropping in this mess

B
B
I tried to run off 2 geese from the pond today, but it didn't work to well. lol! They was there yesterday and I was hoping they were just passing through. When I got there today and they was still there and I seen how much crap was all over the dam already, I knew they had to go. lol! I threw some small rocks at them, and even hit one of them with a small rock, but all he did was flap his wings a few times and went back to eating. lol! I have a full auto BB gun that I plan to take tomorrow. It doesn't have enough power to really hurt them, (and I really don't want to) but I hope it will scare them off. If not I will have to go to plan b. I know they can't stay. I might not care so much, if it wasn't for all the goose crap, but there in no way I want that everywhere.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
Paint-ball gun?

S
S
I have found a shotgun with the shot laid out a few feet in front of them gets the message across.

Some of the geese that are used to being around people in places where they can't run them off such as city park lakes have lost all fear of humans. I reinstill their native good sense.

John

So far the geese have left my pond alone. I hope they never find it. I always thought the trees surrounding it kept them away, as there’s not a long stretch for flying in and out. I thought you had trees around your pond also Bob.
I did have 200 wood ducks on it about a year and a half ago. The amount of crap they left around was amazing. Just coated the dock.
Good luck getting rid of them Bob.
Hey, did you get some of this last rain? We’ve had 6” in St Louis already this year. Of course, just half that up at the farm.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
M
MWB Offline
M
Originally Posted By: RAH
Paint-ball gun?

That's what a friend of mine uses for keeping them off of golf course ponds etc. He has a side business doing this. He is also a dog trainer so he was using his labs to chase them off some times, but the only best way is to use paint ball etc.. and harass them early morning or evening especially when they want to rest. Eventually if you keep on them for several days they will seek out a new resting place. Once they hatch a brood you are out of luck. You would have to kill the babies after that time. frown

S
S
I had a pair that was bound and determined to have a nest on a tiny 6'x12' island in the middle of my old refurbished pond. I finally raised the dam and overflow level so island turned into an underwater hump. Problem solved. One reason I'll never have another island in a pond.

John

R
RAH Online Content
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
R
We have a pair that nest on our island and then immediately take the babies elsewhere. They chase the rest of the geese off during their stay. As a follow-up to the curly-leaf pondweed post, I have this coming up thick in my two shallow 3'-4' duck ponds (which have very clear water right now), but cannot see it in the SMB/YP pond where it was previously pretty thick.

Last edited by RAH; 03/15/19 10:19 AM.
B
B
I have my fair share of guns (and then some) but not one paint ball gun. lol! There may be one in my future. lol! Maybe I'll go ahead and take a shotgun with me and try that if the machine gun BB gun don't work. What size should I take 410,20 or 12 gauge? lol! If they would go down to my old silted in pond and stay there, I'd leave them alone.

Jeff, I've got about 7" of rain since the first of the year, but that is over 14 rain events. None of them have been over about 1.25" at one time. So still no gully washers for me. The pond is up about 20" since the first of the year. In the past week I've had 3 rains totaling about 2.3". The last one was Wed. night and was only .60", but the ground was already so wet on top and frozen deeper down, that the pond came up 5". I finally had a little water trickling out of the sediment pond yesterday, and still was so I'm hoping it might of came up a little more. In the last week it has came up about 12", but I really didn't have any rain to speak of the 3 weeks before that so it had dropped a few inches. It's probably almost 11' deep now.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Page 44 of 183 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy