Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TexasRattler, BonesD, Rick K, hankscke123, Tim Jeske
15942 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15942 Members
36 Forums
36607 Topics
498655 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19811
Dave Davidson1 13831
Bill Cody 12796
Who's Online
23 registered (Clay N' Pray, BLUE72CAMARO, C Peasy, Augie, s252101, DrLuke, Vortex 4, SetterGuy, Custom 68, wbuffetjr, Theo Gallus, Quarter Acre, DavidDunn, Shorty, roundy, ColdSpringsFarm, anogard, Matzilla, Chris H, Tim Jeske, Lando, bassmaster61, BrianL), 229 Guests and 519 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 43 of 56 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 55 56 >
Topic Options
#502049 - 02/15/19 07:45 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: Bill D.]
Pat Williamson Offline

Loc: Oakwood,Texas
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Congrats Pat! I guess that solves the mystery of what happened to all your BCP!

Yes thatís kinda what I thought Bill... shame too cause I want BCP more than I do bass... oh well when you get delt lemons then make some lemonade.... itís all good.

#502052 - 02/15/19 09:06 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Bob-O Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Butler In. Very NE corner
Pat, that is great. They sat that a pic is worth a thousand words. I say a C&R of a fish like that to pass on it's genes is worth a thousand pics. Ya done good !!!

#502067 - 02/16/19 07:48 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
Well done Pat! A 10lb lmb can eat a pretty big CP and most likely did eat a few of them smile What did you catch her on?

Edited by TGW1 (02/16/19 07:51 AM)
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#502071 - 02/16/19 09:30 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: TGW1]
Pat Williamson Offline

Originally Posted By: TGW1
Well done Pat! A 10lb lmb can eat a pretty big CP and most likely did eat a few of them smile What did you catch her on?

Big bite cane thumper / 3/0 flashy swimmer ..... they canít resist ......watermelon red ghost
As tough as your Florida are to catch that might be the cure

#502074 - 02/16/19 10:13 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
FireIsHot Offline

Loc: Emory TX
Very cool Pat. Congrats.

Since we're kinda sorta talking about swimbaits, I've really, really become a big fan of soft swimbaits and molded gliders over the last few years. In clearer water like mine, they attract larger LMB better than anything with a rattle. That's just my experience here though.

#502078 - 02/16/19 10:19 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: FireIsHot]
Pat Williamson Offline

Thatís two 10# on those around here and countless 5-8 # the other great bait is Rebel Pop-R caught 2 back to back 8s last fall in the pond across from me last fall. Charlie(Stickem ) turned me on to the cane thumper

#502079 - 02/16/19 10:52 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
FireIsHot Offline

Loc: Emory TX
The Pop-R's a classic for sure. There's no telling how many poppers were based(copied) on Rebel's design.

#502080 - 02/16/19 12:09 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Mike Whatley Offline

Loc: Louisiana
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/zCgn32AxHVGhQTLY9[/img]

I got up this morning and decided to rake some FA from around the spawning area of the pond. In the process, I raked up this little guy hiding in the FA. My dad used to call them pumpkin seed, but I've since learned that species doesnt exist around here. I'm thinking it's a Longear. Regardless, it sure is a pretty little fish. Actually raked up two very near to each other. I've never seen more than just a handful swimming around in 2 1/2 years.

#502085 - 02/16/19 01:26 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: Mike Whatley]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
That is a pretty fish. Too bad they don't get very big.

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

#502086 - 02/16/19 01:30 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: Pat Williamson]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson

Yes thatís kinda what I thought Bill... shame too cause I want BCP more than I do bass... oh well when you get delt lemons then make some lemonade.... itís all good.

Well it goes to show, even trash fish (LMB) can be fun. grin

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

#502089 - 02/16/19 01:38 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: snrub]
Pat Williamson Offline

Originally Posted By: snrub
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson

Well it goes to show, even trash fish (LMB) can be fun. grin

Ouch! They are fun to catch though Iím having better luck with LMB than my preferred fish ( unnamed) smile More lemonade John

Edited by Pat Williamson (02/16/19 01:39 PM)

#502092 - 02/16/19 02:51 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: Mike Whatley]
jpsdad Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/zCgn32AxHVGhQTLY9[/img]

I got up this morning and decided to rake some FA from around the spawning area of the pond. In the process, I raked up this little guy hiding in the FA. My dad used to call them pumpkin seed, but I've since learned that species doesnt exist around here. I'm thinking it's a Longear. Regardless, it sure is a pretty little fish. Actually raked up two very near to each other. I've never seen more than just a handful swimming around in 2 1/2 years.

The ear tab is long like a longear but isn't as bright an orange as I am used to seeing. I was wondering if it may be a dollar sunfish given the small mouth and olive coloration. There is a lot of variation in longears though where each native drainage seems to have longears of distinguishable appearance. Below are some pics of a Dollar sunfish.

Dollar sunfish pics

Edited by jpsdad (02/16/19 03:05 PM)

#502093 - 02/16/19 03:47 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Mike Whatley Offline

Looking the attachment, could very well be dollar sunfish. And yeah, they dont seem to get much bigger than the two I raked up this morning.

#502094 - 02/16/19 04:35 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: Mike Whatley]
jpsdad Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
Looking the attachment, could very well be dollar sunfish. And yeah, they dont seem to get much bigger than the two I raked up this morning.

Should you make a positive ID, don't forget to add them to the list smile .

The BG are starting to bite better here in N. Texas. When the cold front was coming in yesterday, just couldn't talk my daughter into going home until we ran outta bait. It was her birthday yesterday and I couldn't have been happier when she demanded to spend her birthday walmart cards on a rod and reel of her own. She's 8 now and she bought a serious rod and reel for her age ... no princess or Barbie pole for her!

#502258 - 02/20/19 12:56 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
John Fitzgerald Offline

Loc: S. end of Elkins, Arkansas
O.77 inches of cold rain last night. New pond is overflowing again. Old pond is 6" below overflow. Creeks are roaring again. With the saturated ground, it does not take much.

#502262 - 02/20/19 02:54 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
wannapond0001 Offline

Loc: Ohio
My new pond is still a few feet from full for the rain last night. No leaks.

#502398 - 02/23/19 07:59 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
ShortCut Offline

Loc: Cisco, TX
Todays 7'Lx5'Wx4'T mesquite log fish crib made it to the end of the dry dock 8ft from shore and got stuck in the mud. So I went swimming. That is one way to put it. Another way is that I fell out of the boat head first. It was my dog Apollo's fault of course. Long sleeves, jeans, leather gloves and boots make a pretty good wet suit. Had to call it a day at that point. Also cut a dozen cedar trees. Dragged a few to the tank. Some will be fluffy stuff and others will be bound for use as dense cover. The wind was howling and blew one off the dam into the tank.

Attachments
Small Crib.jpg (62 downloads)

#502421 - 02/24/19 08:24 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
TGW1 Offline

I spent the late afternoon setting on the pier for awhile hand feeding Aquamax lmb to my HSB and LMB. I slowly added a few chunks at a time to the water so I could get a close up look at the fish as they feed. What surprised me was at the two different places on the pond where I feed I went through 150+- cubes at the pier and 300+- cubes at the other spot. I feed for about 30 min at each spot but I only feed as much as they wanted to eat. I enjoyed the feeding time but if I feed that much every day my feed bill would go up two fold. 100 chunks weigh about 1 lb 4 oz so I feed around 6 lbs +-.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#502422 - 02/24/19 08:28 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Flame Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas
Shortcut...how do you plan to anchor that wood down? Also it may surprise you how fast that wire will rust and give way allowing your logs to float away. Might think about lashing together with some type of poly anchor rope. I really like what you did. Just hoping it stays together for you.

#502423 - 02/24/19 08:53 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
ShortCut Offline

Loc: Cisco, TX
It is staked down mostly submerged right now just to saturate. Probably going to tie two blocks together and hang a pair on both ends. I'm hoping the galvanized twisted fence wire will out last the logs!

#502439 - 02/24/19 03:02 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Mike Whatley Offline

It's such a beautiful day here today, I spent a couple hours soaking some dough balls. Caught a few decent BG, and another BGxWM hybrid about 7".

After I got Mr Jones satisfied I took some readings. At 1:30 pm the air and surface temps were 68*f. PH measures 7.5 and visibility is about 36".

Trying to decide when to turn the aeration back on. Trees are budding out and pine pollen is really thick on the windward side of the pond. I'm afraid it's just a matter of time now before I get an algae bloom. Hopefully it wont be BGA.

#502452 - 02/24/19 11:59 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Bobbss Offline

Loc: Jefferson County Missouri
The last 3 days I got my FHM to come up and feed some. The pond had been frozen over for a few weeks, and it still had ice covering about a 3rd of it the first day they feed. I was surprised to see it.

I hope I can do more stocking soon!

I Subscribe To Pond Boss

#502511 - 02/26/19 08:06 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
TGW1 Offline

Well, a Bald Eagle showed up yesterday. Pretty bird to say the least. Lets see, This year I have had a Bald Eagle, an Osprey and Cormorants and 3 dead Otters. Whew! Mother Nature can put a hurt on your pond fish!!!

Note, No cormorants on the pond and I thought I was the reason but now, I am guessing the Eagle has declared my pond his pond and is the reason no more of those darn fish eating black birds.

Edited by TGW1 (02/26/19 08:09 AM)
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#502513 - 02/26/19 08:35 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Flame Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas
Tracy, I do have 2 pairs of wood ducks staying at the pond again. They have been scouting out my homemade wood duck house again!! Maybe I will have a good hatch again this year. I cleaned and refilled the house a couple months back in preporation for them to return. I watched yesterday as the feeder goes off (yes, I got my feeder working again) and the ducks don't even fly off! Hope they stick around.

#502515 - 02/26/19 09:20 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: TGW1]
nehunter Offline

Loc: SE, NE
TGW1 do you think it is the bald eagles or osprey keeping the cormorants away. I have a lot of cormorants at my lake and this fall 3 bald eagles are showing up 4 or 5 times a week. If they would keep the cormorants away I would gladly feed 3 eagles than 40 cormorants.

Page 43 of 56 < 1 2 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 55 56 >

Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
8 acre pond at 10,000' - lots of aeration ?s
by wbuffetjr
20 minutes 32 seconds ago
Zero activity when feeder goes off??
by SetterGuy
30 minutes 6 seconds ago
Drone footage of pond build - Livingston Co., MO
by s252101
35 minutes 46 seconds ago
CNBG Growth Update
by ColdSpringsFarm
49 minutes 19 seconds ago
Lots of rain now a muddy pond what do I do?
by Quarter Acre
Today at 01:26 PM
Rosie Red Minnows - Can They Be Maintained?
by BrianL
Today at 12:51 PM
Pictures of Bass Eggs, Prolarvae and Larvae
by Custom 68
Today at 12:12 PM
Hello From Mesa, Az
by brisket
Today at 11:32 AM
RES/GSF hybrid in full color spring display
by dlowrance
Today at 11:27 AM
Happy Birthday Scott69