Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus), 746 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Me too, BPM - but a guy like Scott will interpret this temporary setback as a direct challenge and he will likely come back with improvements to the available shoreline following drawdown and BG 3x the original size...maybe a zip-line, too. He's wired like that...I suspect a lot of us are.

3x the original size would be awesome, haha. last spring my friend and i were trying to catch some culls (females) to move to his pond. he caught one that weighed 1.5 lbs.. a few months later i caught one that weighed 1.9 lbs. mine was a female and surely she had eggs, but she didnt have that look like she had just swallowed a golf ball. she was just a big fish! no doubt some of these would have topped the 2 lb mark. the one i posted here while back dead that i layed on the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket was a stud.
alabama holds the world record bg. so that means i can't just shoot for the state record, i have to aim for the world record..it sure would be interesting to put about 100 males in my pond and no females. fed them well and see what happens.

Last edited by scott69; 02/08/19 07:07 PM.

Scott Hanners
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
I took three fish to Auburn University to be examined and 3 water samples. The water samples were from the pond, from the stream entering the pond, and the stream below the dam that i used to top off the pond during dry times. Below is the final answer that I received.

we confirmed the bacterial isolate as Aeromonas hydrophila, a common opportunistic pathogen. We didn’t see anything unusual in the water samples although the pH was a little low (6.3) but that could be due to organic decomposition occurring between the time you took the sample and the time we measured it.
From our analysis, I can confirm that at least one of the fish had a systemic bacterial infection but because of the nature of the pathogen, I won’t recommend antibiotic treatment.

I’m sticking to my gut feeling that you had too much organic matter in the pond due to either high stocking rates or too much feed (although you probably weren’t feeding them in January, right?). It is important that you remove as many fish as you can (and bury them, don’t leave them out in the open) and try to reduce the organic content in the pond (I know that’s easier to say than to do).
Be careful when you handle the dead fish (wear protective gear). Aeromonas hydrophila can cause infections in humans, it’s rare but it can happen if for example you puncture yourself with a fin/spine.

Scott Hanners
S
S
Dang Scott, sorry to hear that! sounds like it's fixable though so all is not lost.

J
J
Scott, are you going to electroshock survey now or what's the plan going forward?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Could it be that you reached carrying capacity and that plus fertile water resulted in overcrowding stress and bacterial infection ? Same as when deer get too abundant around feeders and spread pathogens. I assume they did not indicate fatty livers.

So sorry to hear about your results, Scott. If you dont have any on hand, I'd suggest you acquire at least a couple of cloverleaf traps and start trying to reduce numbers. You could avoid handling them completely if you've got a hole ready to dump them into, but you could also selectively cull out what you want to keep. Sounds like you may want to invest in some good rubber gloves, too.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
jludwig-I don't think I'll do any electrofishing. I am just going to watch feeding activity around the feeder. If we have a warm spell for a week or so they should really turn on at the feeder. my gut feeling is I have lost most of the adults. I have seen some coming to feed in the last week that looked like 6 inches or so. there are very few of them, but I don't think they are used to the feeder. They never had a chance while the big ones were alive and taking most of the pellets.

Ewest- I think that is exactly it. Plus the 30-0-0 fertilizer runoff back in the summer. Water really got green quick a week or so after rain fell on the fresh fertilizer. I just don't see how it could keep from being overcrowded. Stocked 2500 bg and nearly everything we caught was well over a pound. weighed one that was 1.5 lbs and another 1.9lbs. No telling what some of these weighed that we removed that were dead. I think the ammonia from the fertilizer and decaying fish caused a snowball effect quick.

Mike-We aren't handling any of the fish, just mainly raking them out. the buzzards are pretty much living here now. I am not too worried about exposure to them. What is the largest fish you all have caught in a clover leaf trap?

Scott Hanners
Scott, I have the vertical openings cut to about 6" top to bottom and about 1 1/4" wide. I built my own and have trapped BG around 6". If you've been feeding pellets, that's what I'd use for bait, but flour tortillas, bread, dry dog food all work to varying degrees of success.

If the dead numbers are that heavy , it sounds like you probably don't need a trap as mother nature is reducing your herd already. Dang man...I really feel for you.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 02/12/19 05:48 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good news is the genetics are still there and a new crop will grow quickly. If you still have most of your LMB they will be thinning the heard. Watch your predation numbers.

S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
I didn't lose any lmb or res. I assume the bacterial infection was just something the bg were susceptible to. I really need a week of warm weather to see what comes up at feeding time. I feel like the bass are going to be kinda hungry for a while. I never caught a bg under 8 inches that I can remember. I know some are there and I have seen a few feed recently that look like they may be 6 inches or so. Plenty of fingerlings around the shore on warm evenings. I am curious how I will be able to get some past the size the bass can eat. I do have a fish cage. I may try to grow 100-200 off in there and release them. I am not going to add any until I see what comes to feeder come warmer weather.

Scott Hanners
S
S
Could you throw some temporary shore line cover out? Maybe cedar tree tied to a rope so easily removed when no longer needed?

Last edited by snrub; 02/14/19 07:21 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
J
Originally Posted By: snrub
Snipe I am no pro but have been reading on this forum for a few years and manage 5 ponds of my own....

Stocking a relative small number of BG can actually lead to more fish rather than less. In some very old research papers, stocking only as few as 5 pair of BG produced enough offspring to completely provide fish to reach carrying capacity of the pond quickly. In fact, stocking more initially actually led to lower overall fish populations, the reason being the initial stocked fish became predators for newly hatched fish of the first and subsequent spawns. So the 5 pairs produced more spawned reproduction than say if the a hundred fish were initially stocked, because of lowered predation.

grin

I don't care how old this research is ... it's definitely true, repeatable, and will never be "out of date".

Last edited by jpsdad; 02/14/19 09:21 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday