Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Drew Snyder, Jrtyler, Buz, Abadonger, jsaw
15779 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15780 Members
36 Forums
36292 Topics
494574 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24032
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19702
Dave Davidson1 13699
Bill Cody 12690
Who's Online
13 registered (Snipe, Julian, Drew Snyder, mattmonster1991, Stressless, wannapond0001, wbuffetjr, nbell, Sunil, Quarter Acre, RStringer, Bob-O, Augie), 192 Guests and 500 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#501860 - 02/11/19 10:25 AM Alternate uses for wood duck boxes
DrLuke Offline

Loc: Grinnell, IA
Was out doing a little hard water work this weekend. I have over 12 inches of ice, so I was using my Ranger with a blade to clear off some of the snow cover. I also took this opportunity to open and clean my wood duck nest boxes, and replace the bedding (hint to other duck box owners, you need to do this annually, hen wood ducks don't bring in nesting material). So when I popped open one of my houses, this little guy was 'squatting' in there, for the winter..

Meet the Eastern Screech Owl. Only 8 inches tall, 6 oz. body wt.

#501871 - 02/11/19 01:35 PM Re: Alternate uses for wood duck boxes [Re: DrLuke]
canyoncreek Offline

Loc: West Michigan
Thanks for sharing! Did you make the nest and do you have an easy recipe to follow? I want to put one up this winter but still unclear on where and how high and how big of one I should make or purchase.

I'm told natural holes are better. I was thinking of taking a hollow dead section of old tree laying in the woods and cutting it in half lengthwise so I can more easily hollow out the inside, then create the correct hole size, then screw the halves back together and mount it. I don't know how to hollow out an existing dead tree that is upright yet.

I read they find the holes on the wing by spotting the color difference between the bark and the hole with its dark cavity behind it.

but I also ready they scout their nests in the fall so I might be too late.

#501872 - 02/11/19 02:00 PM Re: Alternate uses for wood duck boxes [Re: DrLuke]
NEDOC Offline
Lunker

Loc: SC Nebraska
You're not too late. I've installed some in the spring and had them in use within weeks. I think they do tend to scout them in the fall, but if they find a good spot they're going to use it.

#501873 - 02/11/19 02:02 PM Re: Alternate uses for wood duck boxes [Re: DrLuke]
canyoncreek Offline

Loc: West Michigan
NEDOC, how were you so successful? Was design of box what attracted them, or proximity or water, or did they feel safe because it was higher off the ground?

#501882 - 02/11/19 04:47 PM Re: Alternate uses for wood duck boxes [Re: DrLuke]
Dave Davidson1 Offline
Lunker

Loc: Hurst & Bowie, Texas
Thatís just neat

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

#501883 - 02/11/19 05:00 PM Re: Alternate uses for wood duck boxes [Re: DrLuke]
RAH Offline
Lunker

Loc: Indiana, Boone County, 25 mile...
My wood-duck boxes have only been nested in by screech owls. The young are really cute!

#501885 - 02/11/19 08:01 PM Re: Alternate uses for wood duck boxes [Re: canyoncreek]
DrLuke Offline

Loc: Grinnell, IA
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Thanks for sharing! Did you make the nest and do you have an easy recipe to follow? I want to put one up this winter but still unclear on where and how high and how big of one I should make or purchase.

I'm told natural holes are better. I was thinking of taking a hollow dead section of old tree laying in the woods and cutting it in half lengthwise so I can more easily hollow out the inside, then create the correct hole size, then screw the halves back together and mount it. I don't know how to hollow out an existing dead tree that is upright yet.

I read they find the holes on the wing by spotting the color difference between the bark and the hole with its dark cavity behind it.

but I also ready they scout their nests in the fall so I might be too late.

CC, I did build this duck house. My experience has been any wood works, but it seems like weathered boards get faster action. DON'T paint your new house, just let it weather. This is why cedar is often suggested, because it weathers well.
I also have two manufactured duck houses (i.e. extruded plastic), and my woodies love them! And I have to admit, they are super easy to put up and use. I tried to get the company to advertise on the PB forum, but I have not seen them do it yet. I can PM you their name if you like.

I don't know if 'natural' holes are better, but the size does matter. Wood duck houses need an oval opening, roughly 3 inches tall by 4 inches wide (looks like a mini football on it's side). And I agree, I think they see that dark opening and go check it out.

#501886 - 02/11/19 08:07 PM Re: Alternate uses for wood duck boxes [Re: DrLuke]
woodster Offline

Loc: Wi
I have 13 boxes and often find a screech owl in them. I like to call my boxes "time share units".There are two color phases, grey as the one in the picture, and a rusty red coloration. I see both colors. I have grand kids coming to "help" me clean them out this weekend, maybe we will find one.

Today's Birthdays
lbianc1
Recent Posts
Stocking pond with crawfish?
by Julian
22 minutes 42 seconds ago
catching crawfish in traps
by mattmonster1991
50 minutes 18 seconds ago
First experience with Cormorants
by Bob-O
Today at 12:39 PM
Building a garage-apartment with a pond view
by Bing
Today at 11:42 AM
KARMEX
by Pat Williamson
Today at 11:40 AM
Revamping 20yo Pond with Light Leakage - Opinions?
by Drew Snyder
Today at 10:21 AM
8 acre pond at 10,000' - lots of aeration ?s
by canyoncreek
Today at 09:52 AM
flathead catfish declining?
by Mike Whatley
Today at 05:37 AM
Happy B-day
by Kelly Duffie
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
ODD thing: