Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,418
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (teehjaeh57, Bobbss, esshup, Boondoggle), 754 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#501474 02/03/19 08:15 PM
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
I have been lowering my pond to retrieve dead bluegill (see my other post-"more dead bluegills") so I thought I would share a few pics of my structure that was placed when the pond was built.

Scott Hanners
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Is that a Crash-Test-Dummie in the 3rd picture???

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
R
Looks like a beautiful place to me. The man kinda threw me off lol.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
TJ, that is actually a little concrete statue of a boy fishing. there is no telling how old it is. My childhood best friend found it and wanted me to have it. the head was broken off, but I glued it back on. He needs a little fishing pole to make him complete.

there are also a few steel targets hanging here and there for me to shoot with my old 22's.

Scott Hanners
B
B
Good Looking place there Scott. I agree that your little buddy needs an ole cane pole with a bobber out there on the pond. Looks like several spawning beds in the pictures also.

Nothing like seeing your bobber bobbing.
1 acre pond with LMB BG GSF BH CC and whatever else I can find
Not after trophies I just like catching and eating fish
Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"TJ ?"

Man alive!!! You sure know how to wreck a guy's morning!!!!

(kidding! But TJ is a freak!)

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #501667 02/06/19 11:38 PM
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Sorry about that Sunil. I have no idea why I said TJ.. Ole TJ is an alright dude though. If not for him and soilfloc my pond might look "lowered" more often.

Scott Hanners
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
bigpullerman- yes there are spawning beds in several places. I saw several in places I wasn't expecting, especially some in deep areas.

Scott Hanners
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
My 'Bama bros watch my six - I'm grateful.

Scott...that water visually sure looks healthy to me...I mean I see no signs of excess nutrients in the way of FA, etc. I'm really eager to see what your pond water analysis yields as we all can benefit from this educational experience.

BTW - beautiful looking place you have there...can't wait to swing by one of these days. I've gotta see your Brutegills feeding.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Water does look good. Time to add more structure if needed. Some new water might help reduce any water quality issues. Remember that the fish still there are operating in much less vol of water until refill.

Last edited by ewest; 02/07/19 01:56 PM.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Scott are you siphoning bottom, anoxic, nutrient rich layers? If so, should help with water quality issues [if any exist] when you refill later. Lusk/Eric often recommend removing a few feet of bottom water with siphon if one suspects quality issues...so that's going in your favor.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
My 'Bama bros watch my six - I'm grateful.

Scott...that water visually sure looks healthy to me...I mean I see no signs of excess nutrients in the way of FA, etc. I'm really eager to see what your pond water analysis yields as we all can benefit from this educational experience.

BTW - beautiful looking place you have there...can't wait to swing by one of these days. I've gotta see your Brutegills feeding.

i should have taken a pic of the 3 bottles of water today. there was way more color to the pond sample than the stream sample. i've had a little fa in the past, but not much. i usually shoot it with cutrine.
you are welcome to swing by anytime. unfortunately i think it will be a while before we get to watch a good feeding event. i do have old videos though of them..ahh the memories.

Scott Hanners
ewest #501730 02/07/19 10:45 PM
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: ewest
Water does look good. Time to add more structure if needed. Some new water might help reduce any water quality issues. Remember that the fish still there are operating in much less vol of water until refill.

i never really wanted any cover much for the bg. i wanted to keep the reproduction rates down with bass predation. i am kinda thinking i may need to add some cover for some of the little ones in there to hide. these warm evening have the bass in high gear. they are wearing the 1-2" bg out.
also i have a really good stream below my pond with an electric pump. i used it to top it off during a dry summer of 2017 and then i put it on a timer in 2018 to run a few hours about dark. that was my aeration-cool water blasting in. i took a sample of that water today also, just to make sure it was pure. there is no ag runoff at all upstream. the closest house is about half mile or more away through the woods. i had winterized the pump, but i started it back up today to help fill the pond for the reason you stated. also, i have a good flow of water coming in the from the stream that feeds the pond.

Scott Hanners
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Scott are you siphoning bottom, anoxic, nutrient rich layers? If so, should help with water quality issues [if any exist] when you refill later. Lusk/Eric often recommend removing a few feet of bottom water with siphon if one suspects quality issues...so that's going in your favor.

i actually have a separate pipe installed in the bottom of my pond. it is 4" diameter with the valve on the dry side. it runs straight thru the dam and pulls from the bottom/deepest point. i have a traditional standpipe and this 4" pipe is buried right beside it. so it pulls right off the bottom. the guy that built my first pond recommended doing that. it wasn't my idea, but i would suggest anyone building a pond to do it. it is so easy to just open a valve and pull bad water off the bottom, i have even opened it during a huge rain event to keep it from going over the emergency spillway.

Scott Hanners
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
the pvc valve on the end of the pipe is just a backup in case the main valve was to go bad. in the second pic you can see a black corrugated pipe sticking up about a foot above the ground. the main valve is down in it. it is kind of underground. i keep a piece of plywood over the top to keep rain out of it and to keep it from freezing. i figured adding the 4" pvc valve on the end of the pipe was cheap insurance in case the other one failed.

Scott Hanners
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Day-um that's some water moving...

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
[quote=scott69]the pvc valve on the end of the pipe is just a backup in case the main valve was to go bad. in the second pic you can see a black corrugated pipe sticking up about a foot above the ground. the main valve is down in it. it is kind of underground. i keep a piece of plywood over the top to keep rain out of it and to keep it from freezing. i figured adding the 4" pvc valve on the end of the pipe was cheap insurance in case the other one failed.

A wise man at work there !! I will never put a valve on the water side of the dam. Back ups and careful thought should go into any water control system - failure is not an option !!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails