Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
jschmid19, 7hjd2, Aquacide, Jeweti24, corgi
15737 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15737 Members
36 Forums
36210 Topics
493256 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19651
Dave Davidson1 13657
Bill Cody 12621
Who's Online
5 registered (mattmonster1991, wannapond0001, Farmpond5343, ryjohn, Bobbss), 120 Guests and 423 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 39 of 39 < 1 2 ... 37 38 39
Topic Options
#500547 - 01/11/19 10:28 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
RAH Offline
Lunker

Loc: Indiana, Boone County, 25 mile...
I bet he did not make that guarantee in writing...

#500553 - 01/11/19 12:12 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: wannapond0001]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
Originally Posted By: wannapond0001
I'm just hoping it doesn't leak. My pond builder said he guarantees it won't leak. I hope he's right! I've got his dozer still in my yard. Isn't possession nine-tenths of the law? I could clear some trees with that D6...

If you have good clay with no inclusions of other material that could cause leaks you probably are fine.

We hear about the leaky ponds here on PBF. But likely hear of few that didn't leak even though they may not have had proper compaction. Proper compaction is a necessity with some soils, an insurance policy with others. In our area we don't worry much about compacting the bottom of the pond unless a seam is found. Core trenches and dams normally get attention to proper compaction, the bigger the pond the more attention paid. Small ponds problems are more easily rectified than large projects. Lots of cow ponds in our area are nothing more than the top soil scuffed off the dam area and the ravine cleaned out and pushed up with a dozen. Most work fine, a few have dam seeps and the occasional one that gets into a sandstone seam that is not fixed won't hold water. But that is "here". Our solils and subsoil generally hold water very well. Build a field terrace with a low spot and you have a "pond" till it evaporates.

Many areas are not so "lucky" with their soils water holding capability though.

Edited by snrub (01/11/19 12:14 PM)

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

#500574 - 01/12/19 12:49 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
John Fitzgerald Offline

Loc: S. end of Elkins, Arkansas
We received another 1.07" of rain since very early yesterday. Pond #1 is still about 10 inches low, and #2 and forage pond are running over. At least my first pond looks like a pond again, vs a mudhole.

Wonder how Bobbss pond is coming along with filling?

#500594 - 01/13/19 12:02 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Bobbss Online   content

Loc: Jefferson County Missouri
John no big gains here, just slowly inching it's way up. We got around 9"-10" of heavy wet snow yesterday and over night. It turned my 30-40 minute drive home from work last night into over 7 hours. We had a light mix of snow, sleet and rain most of the day today. I haven't been able to go over and check on the pond yet, but I'm sure I'll have to wait for it to melt to see much gains. They say we should be getting more rain and snow at the end of next week.

I talked to my pond builder a few days ago. I think I'm going to have him come out and work on my watershed area to increase my run off, as soon as things dry out enough.

Edited by Bobbss (01/13/19 12:07 AM)

I Subscribe To Pond Boss

#500601 - 01/13/19 10:06 AM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
wannapond0001 Online   content

Loc: Ohio
I gained 7 inches of snow so far smile More is coming Thursday thru the weekend! Just a small crater of snow.

#500615 - 01/13/19 04:28 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Mike Whatley Offline

Loc: Louisiana
I finally used up all of the AM500 I had. The feeding has been very slow at best for some time now, and with so much forage in the pond, I'm going to wait until the water warms back up before I decide whether to start feeding again. Time will tell.

This last little system dropped another 3/4" of rain and brings my total to 4" this year.

Decided to take some readings while I'm waiting for the Saints to pound on the Eagles (hopefully they show up). At 3:00, the air temp was 58*f, surface temp is 62*f, ph measured 7.0 on a litmas stick, alk is still very low (less than 40) and hardness is non existent. I really need to dump some more lime, and maybe some gypsum. Not sure if I should wait till March, when the rain slacks off or go ahead and do it now. I'd hate to spend $ just to have it flushed out the drain with more rain, since I'm at the pipe now.

Some insight from the chemists here would be appreciated

#500813 - Yesterday at 07:32 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
anthropic Offline

Loc: East Texas, USA
Seven cormorants a fishing, four geese a honking, two eagles a soaring, and a partridge in a pear tree. Okay, so I'm kidding about the partridge.

Folks working on our deck reported seeing a cormorant grab a fish, then one eagle stole the finny feast. The water turkey submerged, but when it came up the other eagle attacked. Unfortunately, the cormorant managed to get away.

Taking a page from our Italian pondmeister, I strung 80 lb test fishing line between a couple of stumps out in the water to trees on shore. They are about 8 to 12 inches above water level. Idea is to make cormorants reluctant to land on water they might not be able to take off from. We'll see, still need to add some holographic scare tape to it.

Fishing was slow, but we did catch six in two hours. Two were 18+ inch fatties and were released, four below 12 inches culled.

Edited by anthropic (Yesterday at 08:09 PM)

There are only 10 types of people; those who understand binary and those who don't

#500817 - Yesterday at 09:35 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
CMM Offline

Loc: West Central MO
Today I checked muskrat traps. I bought and put out 4 colony traps last week. 2 rats down so far. I am learning as I go with this one, I have never trapped anything in the water before. I placed the traps on runs I thought may be active that were in areas I was most concerned about (near or on the dam). I have been been moving them slightly at one location that is in a den to try and get in the main entry/exit run. Today I found some fresh mud near a run and moved one of the traps about 2 feet. If the pond doesn't have too much ice tomorrow, I hope to have at least one more muskrat for the coyotes and foxes to eat.

#500818 - Yesterday at 10:05 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: anthropic]
Pat Williamson Offline

Loc: Oakwood,Texas
Lead seems to deter them (cormorants) not that I would do that.

Edited by Pat Williamson (Yesterday at 10:20 PM)

#500822 - Yesterday at 11:05 PM Re: What did you do at your pond today? [Re: canyoncreek]
Flame Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas
Where you been CMM?? Good to hear from ya'll again.

Page 39 of 39 < 1 2 ... 37 38 39

Today's Birthdays
don strohl
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Flame
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
Muck liquidation and removal
by cb100
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
BCP MANAGEMENT IDEAS
by Pat Williamson
Yesterday at 10:34 PM
Pros and cons of gas powered golf carts
by Pat Williamson
Yesterday at 10:15 PM
Burying Muck
by John Fitzgerald
Yesterday at 09:07 PM
Aeration System
by Mike Whatley
Yesterday at 05:58 PM
Get Well Soon Bob
by Bill Cody
Yesterday at 05:13 PM
Managing Bull Head without predators:
by bigpullerman
Yesterday at 03:28 PM
Searching for major thread from several years ago.
by RStringer
Yesterday at 03:24 PM
Selecting male lmb not so easy
by ewest
Yesterday at 12:40 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Pond site
Pond dig
My recent haul
Hello From Lufkin Texas!
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide