Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 49 of 183 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 182 183
A friend of mine has caught skunks in the live traps a few times and has found that if you approach the "skunk in trap" with a tarp that hides your body from the skunk and then cover and wrap the trap with the tarp that the skunk will not spray while concealed in the tarp. The tarp may also save you from a direct hit in case it does spray.

It may just be a matter of your standing with the higher power, but...

All I ask is that you post a video should you try this!

Fish on!,
Noel
I had buddy that got a trapped red tailed hawk out of bird netting using a tarp. That was the easy part.

AL

I guess the best recourse is "NOT GET BIT"!

During the first couple weeks following the Sabine River Flood of record in March '16, I killed 13 water moccasins and 2 copper heads ranging from 12-26 inches. I dont typically kill a snake unless it's around the house, but in these cases, they were all around where we were living at the time of the flood. A water snake would typically get a pass, but in the pond, they tend to prey on my few bullfrogs, so they have to go.

FYI...a coral snake doesnt have fangs like a pit viper, and a very small mouth. They secrete venom as they chew. They have to get you either on the finger/toe or on the webbing between them. A neighbor kid many years ago was trying to stupidly catch crawfish by putting his finger down a stack and came out with a coral latched on his finger. Ended up losing two of them. We see a lot of king snakes here that look like corals but you have to remember the old adage....red touches black,friend of Jack (king/corn snake), red touches yellow, kill a fellow (coral snake).

On another note, we got 2.5 inches of rain since last night. That puts my YTD total to 12 inches even. The pond is overflowing into the drain pipe. My color was starting to turn kind of greenish brown, which I think indicates my plankton bloom was starting to die off a bit. Its back to being deep olive green now. Took a few readings to see what all this fresh water did. Surface temp is 70*f (air temp 75), couldn't get a bottom temp because I broke my pool thermometer when I tossed it out. PH measures 7.0. My Alk is still pretty low (20ppm) and hardness is immeasurable again.

Looks like I'm going after another 500# of Ag Lime soon. Shouldn't affect anything spawn wise...should it?

Oh yeah....no snakes!!

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
remember the old adage....red touches black,friend of Jack (king/corn snake), red touches yellow, kill a fellow (coral snake).

That is now in my cell phone directory...thanks Mike.

Al & QuarterAcre: I will bUy a scented tarp! I keep some kind of special skunk-off shampoo at the property in case the dog gets sprayed by a skunk.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Tomato juice is all you need to get the skunk smell off your dog.

It works every time.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
What Quarter Acre has suggested about releasing a live trapped skunk is correct. I've used the following technique over the years to release 20 or more perfume kitties. I've also let friends borrow my live trap and explained the release technique well enough to them that they've successfully followed it. It works for raccoons and foxes, and even rock squirrels.

I approach the trap with skunk with an old blanket hanging in front of me, shielding my image from trapped animal. I drape the blanket over the trap, pick up the trap by grasping the carrying handle through the blanket, and pack the works to my pickup.

At the release site, I place the covered trap on the ground. For extra security, I like to chose a spot alongside a log, large rock, tree or stump, etc. I ease the blanket back from the door end of the trap enough so that I can unlock and raise the door. I have a small diameter wooden dowel which I slide through the wire sides of the trap, holding the door open, then back away several feet or more. The animal nearly always takes part of a minute to realize the now open door means freedom. It then bolts out in the case of a 'coon, or ambles out in the case of a skunk.

In the couple of occasions when a skunk exited the trap immediately, while I was still squatting and positioning the wooden dowel, the animal seemed to pay me no mind and simply wander away, tail at only half mast, to fully erect.

I agree, this would make a good YouTube video. Have fun with it. Once you try it a couple of times, it won't seem scary at all.

T
T
In my younger years I was an avid quail hunter for many years and have had many a Pointer sprayed. I have tried many different concoctions to clean up the dogs and never found anything that really worked to remove the strong skunk odor. And Zep, we have the Diamond back and the Timber Rattler, I don't care for either one. The timber can grow very large when compared to other poisonous snakes around here. And if you want to see a rattler in the wild then travel to the east side of the Caprock on I-20 near Big Springs and Lamesa. When on top of the Caprock take any blacktop rd off of I-20 in the evening just before dark. The snakes will gather on the rd for warmth. Lots and Lots of them smile Or make the Rattlesnake roundup in Sweetwater.

Now for me I don't want snakes at the pond. I will let the Kingsnake and some others slide on by but if it is in or on or beside the pond, a watersnake of anytype that is a different story. I have kids at the pond and dogs and ME so No snakes are allowed.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
My dog got sprayed a few years ago. I googled it (of course) and read about a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and a couple of other things. Dawn dish soap, and maybe baking soda. I put it to him twice, and it really worked.
I had a coon in my trap yesterday. I have the trap by the feeder, on the bank of the pond. When the coon gets trapped they generally rock the trap down into the pond.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Now for me I don't want snakes at the pond.

Tracy I don't see many snakes at my place, but good God I know they are there just waiting to bite me....lol

Fishing has never been about the fish....

V
V
Emergent and shoreline plants are starting to show up from wherever they come from. Some I started with plantings last year (bull rush, pickerelweed and water iris). I have a couple of new kinds of rush and some pickerelweed coming up in the lawn. I dug them up and relocated them to places along the shore or in shallow water. My water iris' are popping impressive blooms.

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18
B
B
Originally Posted By: Vortex 4
Down here we have lots of copperheads, sometimes see several within a few minutes on the trails at East End Park in Kingwood. Also water moccasins. If you spend a lot of time in the woods you'll spot a coral snake. They like to hang out under the pine needles and leaves. Neighbors have been bitten by timber rattlers here, I have yet to see one.

So far I was bit once by a western diamondback near Austin and a Water Moccasin near the San Jacinto river. Both were in tall grass.

I'd like to avoid being bit again.

Having said that I generally tolerate snakes as long as they are not around the house. I've haven't killed any yet. I'm also careful to identify them before bothering them. Hognose snakes and water snakes look scary but really aren't.
Hognose snakes are one of the coolest snakes, I think. When I was a kid,we always went snake hunting and the Hognose was my favorite and hard to find. They are a lot of fun, they play possum and act like a cobra. I heard they won't bite, and none of the ones I caught ever bit me. I even stuck my finger up to their mouth while it was open, and they would just pull their head back.

Last edited by Bobbss; 04/05/19 07:39 PM.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I used to be butt deep in snakes of all kinds, notably rattlers, but no longer. When the pigs moved in, snakes disappeared. I'd rather have the snakes.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
F
I actually killed my first coral snake on my property last year and it was only about 20 ft. from my driveway at my house and 8 ft, from my walkway down to the pond!! I took the close look to see the red and yellow kill a fellow and that was all she wrote!! As a child back 50 years ago I purchased a Havahart livecatch trap for racoons. We had a family farm near Corpus Cristi Texas. I still have and use that trap today!! That is how good they were built back then!! I have several newer ones that work but not built near as well. I might have just been a dumb kid but I caught a few skunks in that trap and just walked slowly up and released them. I was always told a skunk cannot spray unless they can lift their tail to open the musk gland. The doors fall in on the trap and keep the skunk from raising his tail. I did learn one more thing...I decided to shoot one when it left the trap and found that they automatically release the musk as it relaxes and dies!! Won't make that mistake again. Part of our farm was a poultry egg farm and possums,skunks,racoons, all would eat eggs. Also in south Texas I have many tales of encounters with diamondback rattlesnakes!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Originally Posted By: Vortex 4
Emergent and shoreline plants are starting to show up from wherever they come from. Some I started with plantings last year (bull rush, pickerelweed and water iris). I have a couple of new kinds of rush and some pickerelweed coming up in the lawn. I dug them up and relocated them to places along the shore or in shallow water. My water iris' are popping impressive blooms.

We transplanted some wild Louisiana Iris last year and again this spring. Last year's plants have been flowering for nearly a month now and are putting on seed pods. So my Iris are going to be spreading. I still have a patch I can pull from to start in other locations.

The first plantings apparently had some alligator weed piggyback in the roots and I'm having to pull that out as I find it.

I also had some lanceleaf arrowhead start naturally last year and yesterday I counted 20 different plants around the pound several are blooming now so they'll be spreading seed as well.

Also had some widgeon grass start last fall and I'm finding it in several places around the edge.

I also have a lot of some kind of rush all around the pond. Some I leave, some I take the weed eater to.

It's really amazing how much vegetation has started to pop up after just 2.5 years. Hopefully, it'll all wedge out the FA soon and pretty things up. Luckily my little pond gets deep fast so it's all confined to the edges. Just hoping I can keep any unwanted stuff (milfoil, hydrila, cottontail, chara) from getting established.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 04/06/19 07:06 AM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I used to be butt deep in snakes of all kinds, notably rattlers, but no longer. When the pigs moved in, snakes disappeared. I'd rather have the snakes.

Pigs eat snakes. That's probably why they showed up to begin with.

I saw a 2 foot king snake (dark brown with gold rings about every 3 inches the length of it's body) yesterday and thought about removing it, but king snakes eat moccasins and copperheads so I may let it stay. However, they eat frogs too, and I'm seeing several bullfrogs lately, so I have a bit of a conundrum going.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 04/06/19 07:18 AM.

V
V
Possums eat snakes too. Especially the venomous ones. They are immune to snake venom. And coral snakes, like the king snakes, eat other snakes.

Just started getting hog prints here. Prior property owner kept them controlled. So far they haven't caused any damage. We have a huge crop of acorns so they are fat and happy for the moment. I'm sure we'll here the pitter patter of cute little baby swine soon.

I'm not a night person, but I'm thinking there will be some nocturnal firearm discharges here this summer. I understand that is the best way to control these cuddly critters.

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18
B
B
I guess I should say when we went snake hunting as kids , it was to play with them, not to kill them. I used to give all snakes around the house a pass, even copperheads Now I'm an old guy with a 7 year old daughter, so copperheads no longer get the pass,but the rest do. I really don't won't water snakes at the pond so they may not get a pass.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Originally Posted By: Bobbss
I guess I should say when we went snake hunting as kids , it was to play with them, not to kill them. I used to give all snakes around the house a pass, even copperheads Now I'm an old guy with a 7 year old daughter, so copperheads no longer get the pass,but the rest do. I really don't won't water snakes at the pond so they may not get a pass.

That's the way I've always been too. But since we built the pond and it's being managed as a food source, it's hard to not get them out....since they ain't gonna be feeding me. I realize they dont eat much, but I'd much rather eat frog legs over snake, tho rattlesnake does eat pretty good.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Vortex, I am butt deep in hogs. Since they are mostly nocturnal and I’m not, I have given up on controlling them.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
P
Dave set up a feeder close to the house and set it to go off after dark. Buy a motion activated kill lite on the bottom of the feeder and wait till the light comes on and see what is there.. I lay in bed and look up outside at feeder and if it’s something I want to take then I get up and pop it... but I’m lazy

A
A
Originally Posted By: Bobbss

We had water (not moccasin) snakes at our place a couple of years ago. However, when the LMB got big, the snakes disappeared...

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

S
S
Today I stocked 50 4in HBG and 1#FHM in a 4yr old >.25ac tank/pond with "no" fish. It was cleaned out during the drought. In a another tank I added 200 2in BG, 20 2in RES and 3# 3-4in Shiners to a .5ac tank. The second tank was originally stocked 8yrs ago with only CC and BG but now has underweight LMB and some CC. It did not go dry during the bad drought. Yes, the 2nd may be a lost cause but I am not paying. Just having fun. Today we caught some clearly underweight 8-16in LMB and 4-6in BG that looked pretty decent. I did not see any small YOY or BG in near that range. There is a 5'x20' cattail stand recently established, some shallow grasses, FA and some what I believe to be American pond weed. That that is it for habitat. Zero hard structure. This tank had fish trying to eat fallen dove a few years ago. They are starving IMO. Maybe it can be improved. I know it needs some culling!
In a 3rd tank I caught a UW 7in LMB on earthworm, cut it up for bait and caught a very UW 17in CC. Zero BG or FHM were observed. I also hooked 2 nice LMB but am blaming the borrowed equipment on hook set failure.
This was my first attempt to try and help and assess these BOW.

How are you going to know unless you try!

NW TX 2ac main pond fed from 1100ac watershed going through 2 2+ac sediment ponds. 1st filled 10/2018
900BG, 200RES, 200HBG, 100CC and 23# FHM...."Free" BH, GSF GSH, LMB & ??? 75LMB 3/2020
I subscribe!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Pat, I have a feeder about 100 yards from the house but I don't live there. I set up a hanging pipe feeder near the house a week ago with a game cam. Nothing but coons. 5 at a time with no hogs or deer. However, I did get a pic of the biggest coyote I've ever seen passing by.

J
J
It looks like the 5 koi I raised in the sediment pond last year, and then transferred to the old pond are spawning, despite being only about 12 inches. I wonder if any fry can survive in the presence of BG and LMB?

T
T
I learned something related to the pond fishing. So I'll pass this along. When your plastics (worms, lizards, crawfish etc) get wet in their zip lock bags after a rain. And they lose color or become dull looking to where you consider throwing them away, just remove them from the bag and place them in a throw away diapers or kids pull up disposable panties. This removes or absorbs the water but not the oils and returned them to their packaged colors. I never herd of this, it was just something I tried because I had some of those baby pull up panties in the truck. Dumped them in the diaper and I was surprised when I looked the next day. Looked like new baits.

And like you Frank, when my lmb grew to larger size I've seen fewer snakes in the pond.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Page 49 of 183 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images