Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
jschmid19, 7hjd2, Aquacide, Jeweti24, corgi
15737 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15737 Members
36 Forums
36210 Topics
493256 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19651
Dave Davidson1 13657
Bill Cody 12621
Who's Online
9 registered (Farmpond5343, ryjohn, Bobbss, cb100, Flame, scampbell, snrub, Pat Williamson, Bob-O), 143 Guests and 425 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#500340 - 01/04/19 02:03 PM Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois
Magshine Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the forum, so any and all advice is perfect. I bought some property (central Illinois) and it has 1 large ravine and a smaller ravine that met at the low end where I'm going to build a dam. I've already had it logged out, all left over trees, brush and everything else has been cleaned up and either burned or completely removed. I plan on doing the damn build myself,I have great soil plenty of clay very close to the dam. I've talked to the Army Corp and the state everything is fine as long as I don't exceed a 25ft. tall dam. I plan to go as high as 25ft, with my fretboard at 22ft. The point of where the dam is being constructed width is a pinch point so from side to side is around 100ft long(dam length). Do I need to run the core deep into both sides(they are all clay) and go as high as my water level(22ft.) Or can I core into both sides let's say 4ft. and build up from that point to kinda lock it into the sides as well? I plan on a 2:1 slope on both sides of the dam. Next question, seeming it's clay everywhere do I need to strip out all(or as much as I can) of the topsoil in the pond area from dam to the shallow end? If not does it all need to be compacted or can I just leave it all along and let it fill?

#500342 - 01/04/19 02:17 PM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
canyoncreek Offline

Loc: West Michigan
Please save yourself a lot of cost and a whole lot of 'WishIWuddas..' and get a consultation and a site visit by a reputable pond builder. Not a dirt mover, a pond builder. A 25 foot dam has unique challenges in its design and construction and I would never ever want you to have this be your first experience with building a pond with a dam. You didn't mention how comfortable you are in building ponds or dams.

This forum is riddled with folks who paid dirt movers who have found just about every way possible to be sure that the pond looked good long enough for them to cash the check and leave the site only to have the pond be a 'leaker' forever afterwards. Fixing it later is WAY more expensive then doing it right the first time. So many people were assured that there was plenty of 'good clay' on site only to find that there are a lot of kinds of clay and it is the way the clay is applied that matters the most. Even one small vein of stone or gravel is all it takes. You need a lot of planning, prep work, test holes, watershed calculations, plans for overflow, siphons, etc etc.

There are too many people aching about how things ended up after hours of work and lots of money and I hate to see you end up in their ranks and with a much larger scale project that didn't turn out as you had envisioned.

But, the good news is welcome to a great forum filled with helpful resources and good people. One of the IL pondmeisters can share with you their experience and also can recommend reputable and SUCCESSFUL pond builders in your area.

Edited by canyoncreek (01/04/19 02:19 PM)

#500345 - 01/04/19 02:45 PM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
Redonthehead Offline
Fingerling

Loc: Missouri
Go to your local NRCS office and ask for them to design it for you. ie primary spillway pipe size, pool level, emergency overflow height and size, watershed calculations, yards of fill needed etc, etc. The acreage of the lake needs to be suitable to the watershed acreage.

They will probably tell you to core a minimum of 3' below the current creek floor, and deeper if required to get to good clay. The core should extend up to the top of the dam with the exception of topsoil on top to grow grass. The core will need to extend into the hillside to good clay.

Edited by Redonthehead (01/04/19 05:54 PM)

#500393 - 01/05/19 05:27 PM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
Magshine Offline

I have never built a dam before but I do have adequate amount of equipment operating experience. The location of my ravine is the very top and beginning of a conjunction of other ravines that eventually goes to a little creek about a mile away. I've done the test holes they all hold water, I've done the compacting of soil(clay) in my hand and it's sticky, holds shape and holds shape in a bucket of water. Literally I have endless amounts of clay soil. I checked on it today and the very bottom of the ravine actually has water holding in it and running a little current thru it. Where my dam is going to go at(the lower part of the ravine) the loggers put in a road at the bottom so it's packed in tight and water is now flowing across it today. It's been wet so I get all that. I have what I can see 7 GIANT rocks like 4ft+in diameter down in where I am going to put the core in. I'm going to pull all the giant rocks out as I go. I'm going to vote as wide as the d6 blade and im going 4ft. Or deeper if need. If i have to pump water out i will. Is a little bit of water going to hurt anything as i build the core up? Do I need to compact the entire pond floor as it's practically trying to hold water all ready? Do I need to push out all the top soil in the pond floor? I appreciate everyone's advice, I like taking on big project and will do this on my own if it epically fails, zero worries I'll hire someone to rebuild it. I wish I knew how to post pictures to give a better idea, someone knows how im all ears.

#500394 - 01/05/19 07:17 PM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
gully washer Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Magshine
I wish I knew how to post pictures to give a better idea, someone knows how im all ears.
Yes, please do post pics, cause we certainly like pictures. The easiest way I know of to post pics is to upload your photos to the free photo hosting website “Imgur” and then copy and paste the provided share-link for each photo directly into your post. Choose the Imgur share-link that says, BBCode(message board & forums)........... Welcome to the forum!

#500490 - 01/09/19 06:26 AM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
Magshine Offline

Ok great I'll try that today!

#500491 - 01/09/19 06:41 AM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
Magshine Offline

Tried to upload pics, but they are all like 5mg+ and I guess you can only upload 2mg? No clue? Amy suggestions would be spectacular

#500492 - 01/09/19 07:15 AM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
snrub Online   content

Loc: SE Kansas
It states on the upload screen the size and total number of pictures per post.

You can resize pictures with a free program like Pixresizer or most email programs (though not all) will ask if you want to resize when you send them via email. So you can email the picture to yourself if your email program supports that.

Edited by snrub (01/09/19 07:16 AM)

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

#500494 - 01/09/19 07:38 AM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
wannapond0001 Offline

Loc: Ohio
just use an image hosting site, it's much faster than resizing and downloading

#500617 - 01/13/19 04:38 PM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
Magshine Offline

Got ya I'll give that a whirl, thanks

#500627 - 01/13/19 08:54 PM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
Dave Davidson1 Offline
Lunker

Loc: Hurst & Bowie, Texas
Whether you decide to do it yourself or not, I would buy Mike Otto’s book “Just Add Water”.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

#500630 - 01/13/19 09:11 PM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
wannapond0001 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Speaking of Just Add Water...is it being shipped from China because I haven't received it yet. Ordered around Xmas.

#500632 - 01/14/19 05:11 AM Re: Ravine Dam Lake Construction Central Illinois [Re: Magshine]
Dave Davidson1 Offline
Lunker

Loc: Hurst & Bowie, Texas
Call the Pond Boss office.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Today's Birthdays
Adam Wagner, Beau White, curt, Turfbum
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Flame
41 minutes 4 seconds ago
Muck liquidation and removal
by cb100
50 minutes 19 seconds ago
BCP MANAGEMENT IDEAS
by Pat Williamson
Today at 10:34 PM
Pros and cons of gas powered golf carts
by Pat Williamson
Today at 10:15 PM
Burying Muck
by John Fitzgerald
Today at 09:07 PM
Aeration System
by Mike Whatley
Today at 05:58 PM
Get Well Soon Bob
by Bill Cody
Today at 05:13 PM
Managing Bull Head without predators:
by bigpullerman
Today at 03:28 PM
Searching for major thread from several years ago.
by RStringer
Today at 03:24 PM
Selecting male lmb not so easy
by ewest
Today at 12:40 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Pond site
Pond dig
My recent haul
Hello From Lufkin Texas!
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID

© 2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide