Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (BillyE, H20fwler, esshup, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 749 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Snipe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey all, We have a small community pond on the upper smoky hill river here that had running water over the spillway until 2003, when recovery stage of the aquafer no longer supported this system. This impoundment has been a huge attraction in this community since 1951 when it was deeded to the county.
We are looking to seal the bottom in an effort to gain fishing access again.
Our local community totals 6500 people in the entire county and we are literally, in the middle of nowhere, so we have a limited budget before any grants are considered.
We have sent samples to a couple of engineering firms to get some sort of idea as to what will be best as a sealing agent.
As I've mentioned in another post, we have very, very little clay content in our soils in this corner of the state and in most cases in this area, Bentonite will not work.
Because of our location we have not been able to locate a firm with much knowledge to help us with the "how" part, or the "with what" part. I'm hoping that 1 of the 2 firms I sent samples to can determine what compound will be best.
I know there are polymer "spray-in" liners and poly material liners but not sure the expense will allow such.
It seems like we've been spinning our wheels trying to get something done here but we have little guidance on how to move forward. We have an engineering firm here that has attempted to help with some aspects of the start of this project but we can't get a straight answer on how to seal..I feel there is just a lack of experience from the firm we are using.
Does anyone know how the cost structure works to bring a firm "in" to do something like this??
I guess I should also add we have a water source from the State on 3 irrigation wells that they are recertifying 87% for surface rights and have budgeted costs in to lay pipe across the road to have a source of water for this.. That part is a sure thing. This part of the smoky hill river is still under the Navigable stream classification so we are aware of required permits to work in the river basin, we've already met and discussed this part and all parties are on board with the work, we just need to know/decide what that work is.
I guess I'm looking for some suggestions as to whether there are pros and cons to a material based seal such as sodium carbonate vs other methods-perhaps a liner and how those costs would compare. Maybe there's options we are not familiar with, we just don't have the available engineering firm with the right background. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
My dear Kenneth...I help seal ponds all over the country. Ping me let's chat this weekend. Quality [high expansion rate] bentonite is an option if you can till into the pond bottom and then plate high plasticity clay on top, otherwise you're looking at a polymer, and worst case scenario irrigation to keep up with the seepage rate. Happy to walk through your options and some folks to contact in your area.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
Snipe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Heck yeah! Didn't know you did that too!
I'll try and catch ya Saturday.
Thanks!

R
R
If you bring a loader and dump truck you can come get as much good sealing clay dirt mixture you want from my place (make my pond bigger). I have no problems with mine sealing and all I have to do is dig a hole and add water here.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
S
Snipe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
RStringer, that is a concern here..NW Kansas is basically devoid of the clay types you guys have such as you have there. If I had loaded my pickup with clay every time I came by Parsons in the last 12 years I may have had enough to do it! :-))

R
R
Do you have family here.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
S
Snipe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I used to live in Joplin, MO. for 8 years I made about 3 trips a week through your neck of the woods.
My Daughter is back living in Joplin now, so I foresee a few trips back and forth soon.

Last edited by Snipe; 01/16/19 10:00 PM.
S
Snipe Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Concern #2. The top 3ft of our spillway structure (concrete wall) appears to be deteriorating..internally mainly. structure is not literally crumbling but doesn't sound solid when tapped with a large object. I've done a little reading on a resin injection to solidify this type of structure instead of rebuilding. Anyone have any experience with this method??

N
N
I am not an expert but if you tap the wall and it sounds hollow then I would think that there is nothing on the back side of the wall. Concrete walls do not age from the center out. Water maybe traveling on the out side down farther to a crack at the bottom of your spillway, or maybe a rodent dug a hole next to it. How big is your spillway is it big enough to crawl into?

61 acre water shed lake. bass, channel cat, black crappie, wiper, walleye, redear sunfish, blue catfish and bluegill. To many bullhead and common carp
http://www.pondboss.com/news/videos/why-subscribe-to-pond-boss

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023