Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
khigh, Ari Rak, Mel-, Sdelaney, Fredly
16182 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16183 Members
36 Forums
37058 Topics
504151 Posts

Max Online: 1679 @ 09/17/19 10:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19959
Dave Davidson1 14028
Bill Cody 12925
Who's Online
16 registered (SSF, NEDOC, Theo Gallus, RStringer, DrLuke, teehjaeh57, Pat Williamson, roundy, snrub, Bill Cody, ewest, KW35, Vortex 4, MOFishermen, SetterGuy, Snipe), 156 Guests and 192 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#499144 - 12/01/18 03:19 AM Best food choice for yellow perch and RES
Snipe Online   content

Loc: NW Kansas
I've looked back a few pages and am not seeing much specific to feeding YP. I'll purchase whatever food is recommended, I have several stores within 100mi (most Purina)..
I like the "idea" of floating but that may not be best for RES or YP, I'm guessing??
Suggestions?

#499156 - 12/01/18 10:00 AM Re: Best food choice for yellow perch and RES [Re: Snipe]
adr Offline

Loc: colorado
fathead minnows, shiners, crawfish pretty much anything that has meat on it. When I was a kid I used to catch them on worms and even small pieces of hotdogs.

#499171 - 12/01/18 02:15 PM Re: Best food choice for yellow perch and RES [Re: Snipe]
Snipe Online   content

adr, I guess I was referring more to supplemental type feeding.. Pond is full of FHM and crawfish and I just stocked brooder GSH a few weeks back also.
I guess I'm wondering about float or sink pellet..

Edited by Snipe (12/01/18 02:18 PM)

#499178 - 12/01/18 04:08 PM Re: Best food choice for yellow perch and RES [Re: Snipe]
4CornersPuddle Offline

Loc: southwest Colorado
Until fall of 2017, the YP in my pond did not come to the surface for supplemental feed. Neither did the BG nor GSF. I had been hand feeding AM 600 and Skretting for a few years.

I switched over to floating Optimal BG fall of 2017. The trout made the change immediately. Soon, both GSF and YP were coming up. Of course, I quit feeding when the water got cold.

This spring everyone bellied up to the feed trough. Trout are really splashy feeders. GSF ease up, study the pellet, then rise to it and dart away. YP come up from a couple of feet below the pellet and hit it with a splash and a turn back down.

A few small LMB and BCP fed with everyone else, too. The big grass carp hoovered in what they could.

I'd try Optimal BG. Maybe hydrate it for a few weeks for the perch. They will figure it out in time.

#499188 - 12/01/18 09:45 PM Re: Best food choice for yellow perch and RES [Re: Snipe]
Bill Cody Online   content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Northwest Ohio - Malinta OH
From experience of many members here, you won't get many RES to eat pellets unless they are pellet trained as young fish (DIY) or you buy them pellet trained. RES like YP are bottom oriented fish and are inherently hesitant to rise to the surface for food items. It is not in their instinct like that of bass and BG.

Unless the YP are pellet trained when you bought them it is fairly difficult to get these close to the bottom oriented fish to rise to the surface for pellets. However pellet trained stocker YP will have a high percentage of the stockers fairly quickly find the feeding area and rise to the pellets. In a new pond setting the new YP will often follow other fish to the feeding area and respond to the pellets.

I am still working on finding the best pellet feed to promote longevity for pellet feeding perch. Many perch growers use Aquamax or Zeigler because it is readily available in the Midwest. The perch grow fast to large sizes with these feeds but they die prematurely when 5-6 years old. Common current feeds used for YP have protein around 40-42% and fat content 10%-12%. I think the fat levels are too high for long lived perch. This summer I am going to test feeding a pellet with 44% protein & 8% fat; a low fat and nutrient rich formulation designed to increase longevity

Edited by Bill Cody (12/01/18 09:50 PM)

#499198 - 12/02/18 05:15 PM Re: Best food choice for yellow perch and RES [Re: Snipe]
Snipe Online   content

I'd be extremely interested in the results of that Mr. Cody. I'd prefer a closer to more "natural" lifespan, and probably like everyone else, I want the cake and eat it too.. Just want to ensure growth continues and there are no "dead spots".
One of the things I noticed during my net samples was my redear were pretty close to 100% WR for the ave size sampled but low WR for those fish sampled larger than ave. My YP were similar, but data for YP WR came from NE charts and WR chart for RES was SE KS so just needed to establish a baseline.

#504910 - 04/26/19 11:40 AM Re: Best food choice for yellow perch and RES [Re: Snipe]
JoeG Offline
Lunker

Loc: Cambridge Springs, PA
http://www.melickaquafeed.com/index.html

I use the 40/10 floating 7.5 pellets and have good luck with my YP.

Be a fountain in life, not a drain....

#509369 - 07/25/19 11:04 AM Re: Best food choice for yellow perch and RES [Re: Snipe]
lmoore Offline
Lunker

Loc: NE Iowa
Bill, Are you testing the YP feed you mentioned above? Any initial thoughts?

#510576 - 08/21/19 12:17 AM Re: Best food choice for yellow perch and RES [Re: lmoore]
Snipe Online   content

Originally Posted By: lmoore
Bill, Are you testing the YP feed you mentioned above? Any initial thoughts?

Interested here as well, Bill.

#510615 - 08/21/19 09:51 PM Re: Best food choice for yellow perch and RES [Re: Snipe]
Bill Cody Online   content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Northwest Ohio - Malinta OH
The pellet feeding test is progressing as noted above. Both control and test YP are feeding well. From just a visual perspective the YP eating the Optimal bass food (44%) appear more "bulky" than those eating Zeigler pellets (Silver 40%). Physical and body chemistry tests will be conducted on both sets of perch this pre-winter.

Today's Birthdays
2catmom, Snoopy
Recent Posts
Grasscarp, not a fan but?
by teehjaeh57
Chronicles of stocking Hybrid Striped Bass......
by Bill Cody
New Pond Project
by MWB
08:33 PM
To Aerate OR Not To Aerate?
by jpsdad
07:10 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake
05:44 PM
How many times can you catch...?
by ewest
03:32 PM
Ohio .5acre Pond Fresh
by klingj8
01:18 PM
Test For Naegleria Fowleri, Brain Eating Amoeba...
by Dave Davidson1
05:30 AM
Effects of winterkill
by Downrigger56304
03:43 PM
Adjusting Feed Rates in BG Rearing Pond
by ewest
11:53 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Personal Record BGxRES
Harry's Pond
pond view