Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic, Brev), 714 guests, and 197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
MN uses a modified fyke net with brilliant design I covet in a big way enabling it to be deployed solo. Since he won't take the credit for its design genius, I'm bestowing it on him. He's doing a lot of creative projects up there...his modesty apparently prevents him from posting on them more. Aeration, solar, fyke nets, who knows what else he's got rolling. MN is a huge asset to the forum. He is hereby ordered to post more often.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

"Shallow overall depths,8’ max with average depths of 4’, high % of organic bottom"

MNfish,

Of everything you said, this has me the most curious. Why do you prefer water no deeper than 8 feet? I would think in Minnesota deep water would be preferred.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Some BCP pics as requested by MN...

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
This is great information and good examples for other members to see what you crappie growers are doing. If you are catching nice sized crappie, you may not be doing the all traditional things, but you must be doing some things correctly to grow some decent crappie. We should be looking for repeating patterns of correct things that produce quality sized crappie. IMO one thing we should pay attention to is how much manual removal of small crappie is needed in each situation. For some pondowners manual removal of small fish is not practical or desired, and some people may find more hands on "fish squeezing" efforts are part of the pond management fun.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/12/15 01:44 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
P
OP Offline
P
Do your crappie ponds have a lot of vegetation and if so did you plant it or natural occurring. Mine is void of any yet

Pat

Lunker
Lunker
Selecting to stock HBCP have resulted in robust fish for me - average size after 4 years is 13", and several over 15" have been caught. So far, no population management issues to report. They have worked out very well in my fishery, and serve as another BG population management device.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
MN uses a modified fyke net with brilliant design I covet in a big way enabling it to be deployed solo. Since he won't take the credit for its design genius, I'm bestowing it on him. He's doing a lot of creative projects up there...his modesty apparently prevents him from posting on them more. Aeration, solar, fyke nets, who knows what else he's got rolling. MN is a huge asset to the forum. He is hereby ordered to post more often.

TJ- Thank you for the kind words!!! I am going to show this post to my wife. I'm fairly confident, in the 21 years of marriage, she has never used the words "Genius" or "Modest" to describe me. I also guarantee she will ask me how much I paid you to type those words!! grin grin

Lunker
Lunker
Keep the checks coming, amigo.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
"Shallow overall depths,8’ max with average depths of 4’, high % of organic bottom"

MNfish,

Of everything you said, this has me the most curious. Why do you prefer water no deeper than 8 feet? I would think in Minnesota deep water would be preferred.

I love the question Bill and would enjoy discussing my reasons. There is a lot to your question, maybe more information than you wanted. But mostly having nothing to do with BCP's so we should probably discuss some where else on the forum. Probably in the aeration section. Again, this is some non traditional thinking that is challenging what people thought they knew. Especially, IMHO, the fish experts in the northern states.

P
OP Offline
P
TJ
Mine were4-5" last February when stocked and am now catching and releasing 8"-12" after a year mine are plain BCP. Am hoping they will spawn this spring for the first time I think..... Not sure how old 4-5"ers are . Do you think the YOY BCP will be sized enough by next fall to catch?

Pat

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Mnfish
Got a dumb question, how do you trap crappie, CNBG will go into a minnow trap but what about BCP. As I haven't had my first spawn yet ( that I know of) when would you trap to see how the spawn went? And the only plants in pond so far is FA

Pat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40iIIxdT-io

I posted this last year (I think). My kids got involved and told me to do a you tube video. Pretty fun experience for our entire family. It's a little long but the music is dramatic! Enjoy grin

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Great video showing your creative method for using a fyke net. Too bad your dog can't help, he/she is sure interested in what you are doing. Thanks for taking time to make and share this video.
PS - this thread is now in two locations about crappie in the archives.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/12/15 03:10 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
P
OP Offline
P
mnfish
Nice job did you build or buy that setup? Do you restock other lakes with the bi catch or other

Pat

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
TJ
Mine were4-5" last February when stocked and am now catching and releasing 8"-12" after a year mine are plain BCP. Am hoping they will spawn this spring for the first time I think..... Not sure how old 4-5"ers are . Do you think the YOY BCP will be sized enough by next fall to catch?

Pat

Yes those 8-12 should pull a spawn this year, never know how recruitment will go - varies from year to year. First generation are often the best performing - less competition and usually highest level of available forage for fast growth. I think you'll see a slowdown in growth of subsequent year classes, but as long as the population is being managed I think you could see 4-8" by Fall - but this is a guess on my part. Hard to expect YOY to achieve 8-12" in a few months.

I encourage you to harvest liberally as fish conditions dictate. Typically one can't overharvest. Might consider leaving some outstanding 12"ers in to reach trophy status [15"+], and liberally harvest those 9-11" fish.

Originally Posted By: mnfish
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

MNfish,

I love the question Bill and would enjoy discussing my reasons. There is a lot to your question, maybe more information than you wanted. But mostly having nothing to do with BCP's so we should probably discuss some where else on the forum. Probably in the aeration section. Again, this is some non traditional thinking that is challenging what people thought they knew. Especially, IMHO, the fish experts in the northern states.

MNfish,

Thanks! I have started a thread in the aeration section on Minimum Pond Depth requirements. Looking forward to your thoughts! smile

[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
TJ
Thanks

When should harvesting start- when the first spawn reach catchable- leaving the stocked broodstock alone?

P
OP Offline
P
Also what do yall think of adding tilapia to the mix for additional forage to jumpstart crappie growth

Lunker
Lunker
I think you can start harvest now, be thinking your 9-11" fish. If you see a runt, skinny 8 from same year class add him to the bunch - doing nothing but tying up carrying capacity. Maybe give the 12" fish a chance to keep going and return them. I don't think you could possibly affect their population through casual angling where it was negatively impact reproduction. It only takes a few adults, and infrequent successful spawns or low recruitment helps you with future management, so I'd say harvest away.

P
OP Offline
P
TJ
Even the broodstock? I put in 300 a year ago. Or leave them?

Lunker
Lunker
You're fine leaving them be for a season or two, and you're fine to begin harvest now. Either way, there's no written rule for this - many factors come into play which would influence my advice such as your overall fishery makeup, your goals for fishery, balance of species populations, forage base type and density, species of predators and their density, etc. Since I don't know any of these factors, I'm trying to provide general and casual advice only. But this advice too will vary depending on the size and frequency of your harvest. If you're talking about removing 5-8 fish once a month for a meal, you are fine harvesting 9-11" fish now, or any that are underperforming, you want them out anyhow. Plenty will remain to pull a spawn if thats what you want. Again, I'd leave the 12"+ fish, or those that are exceptional WR, and allow them to grow into trophies and pass along their genetics. Even if you fished daily for crappie, I doubt you would manage to extirpate the population. So, generally speaking, if you want crappie dinners over the Spring and Summer, I think you are fine harvesting 9-10 or 11" fish and culling/filleting any runts and you won't have to worry about impacting your population negatively. I believe eventually you'll likely experience population management issues with BCP in a smaller BOW - at least the vast majority of smaller pond managers report this issue - so might as well enjoy the fish now and help curb that issue. I am not reciting any scripture here, just saying I think you're fine with immediate harvest of slot fish provided you don't go crazy with numbers. Is this helpful? I promise I'm trying to be!

P
OP Offline
P
TJ it is helpful and I thank u. This might not have been as big a problem had someone not dumped LMB in the mix before my CNBG got large enough to spawn, I guess it's learn as you go sometimes. Every situation is different. I definitely welcome input.

Pat,

I see a BCP and LMB dinner in your near future. Better get that Falstaff on ice! Nothin better than beer battered fried fish and cold beer grin Don't forget the hush puppies!

Edit: I know those BCP are your babies my friend, and I can relate to that as I have never even wet a line in my puddle yet, but you can't keep them all.

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/12/15 08:58 PM.

[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Maybe after the spawn I can sample some of the goodies

Lunker
Lunker
Your fish should be bedding soon, mid to late March?

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Pat- I wouldn't worry about your crappies pulling off a spawn. Quite the opposite. Bon appetite with some of those beauties grin

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images