Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
SlabSeeker, wannapond0001, gameP, Oddo, Marizanne
15702 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15702 Members
36 Forums
36153 Topics
492111 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19620
Dave Davidson1 13632
Bill Cody 12550
Who's Online
2 registered (Dave Davidson1, dreams of ponds), 59 Guests and 443 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#498769 - 11/16/18 02:20 AM American pond weed
Snipe Offline

Loc: NW Kansas
Would anyone happen to have a suggestion of where I could "buy" American pond weed?? I have transplanted a few sprigs from a res I frequent 150 miles from me and in pulling these up, I'm afraid I'm going to introduce a variety of plant that could possibly ruin things. The lake I got my pond weed from, also has milfoil and that's a problem I don't want to deal with.

#498771 - 11/16/18 06:57 AM Re: American pond weed [Re: Snipe]
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
Here is what I did, so I will pass it along. First off I bought plants for the pond and the crawfish ate some of them and some did not survive the transplant so I wound up with no plants and a thinner wallet. I wound up getting some from Highflyers lake, but once again it did not take and I am not sure why other than I had very small amount. I then went to a public lake and gatherer up a good couple of handfuls and wrapped it in wet newspaper for transportation to my pond. I washed each strand using well water and inspected it all VERY Closely. I then transplanted it into some water that was about a foot deep and close to where I could monitor for any unwanted plants. I did this in two spots and today I have a half dozen spots where the pondweed has taken hold and doing well. The new spots started by fragmentation.

Edited by TGW1 (11/16/18 07:27 AM)
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#498787 - 11/16/18 12:51 PM Re: American pond weed [Re: Snipe]
Snipe Offline

Maybe I'll be ok just using the transplants as long as I'm careful then.. Good call rinsing them.
Thanks.

#498788 - 11/16/18 03:58 PM Re: American pond weed [Re: Snipe]
Quarter Acre Offline

Loc: West Central Missouri
My thoughts on purchased plant vs transplants...

You run the risk of hitch-hikers either way you go, especially if you buy online...you do not get to see the trough that the plant came from. Transplanting plants from a friends pond will , at least, give you the opportunity to look around for undesirables in the pond.

Rinsing can make a big difference, but don't count on it making all the difference. I had some online plants show up with duckweed, so I rinsed and rinsed again, but they still ended up in the pond. For some reason, they did not take and I have not seen any duckweed this year.

Your best insurance is to acquire plants from close proximity to your pond and isolate them for a month or so (in a tub or tank)and look for the growth of other types of plants.

The best method to plant the plants is to cover the range of depths that they are "supposed'" to grow well in and widen that range a bit. You will loose some to being too deep and some that will be too shallow, but you should find that some take and supply next years propagation (assuming that you do not have drastic water level changes).

Plants can be a fickle thing, however, and sometimes you get what "wants" to be there and there's not much you can do about it!

#498789 - 11/16/18 07:59 PM Re: American pond weed [Re: Snipe]
Snipe Offline

That's a good idea planting in a tub and see what developes...Great idea.
I have also found your statement about what "wants" to be there, is very true.
Thanks for the help folks, appreciate it!

Today's Birthdays
dennisoates
Recent Posts
My pond full of outcast
by Dave Davidson1
33 minutes 21 seconds ago
Non fed ponds
by anthropic
Yesterday at 11:23 PM
Using tarp for structure?
by anthropic
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by anthropic
Yesterday at 08:17 PM
A couple questions
by Vortex 4
Yesterday at 05:26 PM
Hopeful pond construction spring 2019
by John Fitzgerald
Yesterday at 04:04 PM
Happy Birthday DonoBBD!
by stickem'
Yesterday at 01:55 PM
A Pond Log by QA
by Bocomo
Yesterday at 11:36 AM
Long-time stocked rainbows
by Mfitzs70
Yesterday at 06:00 AM
European (redfin) Perch
by ItalyBASS
12/12/18 05:08 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Pond site
Pond dig
My recent haul
Hello From Lufkin Texas!
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide