Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
OP Offline
W
Well I finally quit talking about it and started the little aeration project up on the mountain. We worked on it so hard we barely ate some days and definitely didn't take as many pics as I should have. The project took us a solid 4 weeks of working pretty much every single day.

We had to have a place to put all the solar components so we built our first ICF building. A couple buddies helped me stack all the styrofoam and put the rebar in place. 8" thick concrete core. 18 yards of concrete total in the walls alone. 2 by 12s with spray foam for the roof. Inside dimensions of approximately 10 by 16. I say approximately because we had to move the walls around on the footer to get the embedded vertical rebar centered in the styrofoam walls. We made the footer 24" wide just so we would have some cushion for something like this and because I like overkill.

A couple buddies helped me out with the project. The guy in the sunglasses helped us for 3-4 days.

None of my projects would have ever been possible without this guy!

More stacking...

Rain couldn't stop us from stacking!

Finally we got it ready for concrete. Well, plus a ton of "mountain bracing" that I wish I had gotten a pic of. We basically cut a bunch of aspen poles to brace it with.

So we called in the pump truck. Of course it rained the day before and he got stuck.... The driver was ready to say forget it, no way he could make it up there. The little Cat skid steer was just enough to help drag him up the rest of the way. Wish I had a pic of that too! The driver was GREAT and didn't mind giving some guidance along the way to a first time ICF'er.

On to the solar pole mount. It is a MT Solar 9 panel pole mount. IMO, the heaviest duty one you can get. MT Solar recommended an 8" pipe in a 4'x4'x5' hole with ~3 yards of concrete to withstand 90mph winds. I did a 10" pipe in a 5'x5'x6' hole with ~6 yards of concrete. Then we filled the 10" pipe with concrete as well. Did I mention I like over kill? eek

saddled the pipe and welded some 4" drill steel to the bottom to keep the snow from eventually shoving the pipe through the concrete (sounds crazy but it happens all the time up there).

Holding a 17' long 10" pipe plumb while you pour concrete is no easy task!

Some pics of the MT Solar mount and my son helping me tighten bolts. This thing is no joke! I am very impressed! Extremely heavy duty and my Grandmother could adjust the tilt. You leave the center panel out, use the chain hoist to raise the array and lock it down. Then just install the last panel in the hole. Worked just like they showed it on youtube!

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 11/13/18 08:26 AM.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
W
OP Offline
W
All panels installed. Nine 340watt Solar World panels. 3,060 watts.

We knew we weren't going to get perfect sun in that spot due to some trees that need to go. The trees were going to be gone eventually anyway so we went ahead and put it there. Then I noticed the panels were completely shaded by 3:00. Couldn't have that so we sped up the tree removal.

Luckily, my buddy is the master of clean up on the skid steer.

Not too bad looking now. All seeded with Sainfoin and Durana clover.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 11/13/18 08:25 AM.

W
OP Offline
W
Every year as we are bringing up equipment, we pass tons of big boulders so we will grab them and bring them on up to use in the lake or around the cabin. This is what happens when my buddy is backing up and forgets where he temporarily dropped one of the new additions!

On to the electronics....

Wiring up electricity is not my specialty to say the least so I paid a little extra and got my "epanel" prewired. After that it was pretty much plug and play. So easy even a caveman, me, could do it.

Magnum 4400 watt split phase inverter with a midnight solar classic 200 charge controller. All pre assembled as part of the "epanel".

Inverter/epanel/charge controller combo on the left. Sub panel in the middle and a heavy duty, electronic 230v timer on the right.

Timer

690 amp hour, 48V battery bank. We made all the battery cables ourselves out of 2/0 welding cable. It was a little scary making the final connections on this bad boy. It just felt like I was hooking up jumper cables backwards or something. My buddy got way back and I just kind of turned my face the other direction. Luckily I didn't screw anything up!

Wiring needs to be cleaned up but here it is currently.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 11/13/18 08:25 AM.

W
OP Offline
W
A few snapshots of the numbers we are making.

Our highest output so far, but I think we will beat it. The altitude actually allows us to produce MORE than the panels are rated for! Finally, ONE advantage to being on the mountain!

Our best overall day so far, over 10KWH, but I think we will beat it too.

And here is what we are doing in the lake. Trenched in a 750' run of 1" airline from the solar shed to the lake. Built a manifold with 10 valves to regulate Summer/Winter diffusers. Those are Vertex diffusers. A Quad, a Dual and a single. I never got to measure exact depths, but the Quad station is in close to 20' of water. The dual is in 16'+ and the single is in 8'+. They are all in the deep end of the lake because I wanted to attack the biggest problem first. I have a 1HP motor running a Gast 1550 so we are making somewhere around 10CFM. Trying to start out conservatively until I see what the system can handle so the pump is only running 6 hours per day right now. So far it seems the system is in float the entire time the pump is running!

I need to install some more diffusers and especially some shallow ones for Winter. I just ran out of sinking line. I will swap over to a 1/3HP motor for Winter so I can easily extend the run times.

EDIT:Added the video

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/10/17 12:49 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dang!!!!! That WAS a project, and it looks great! You guys worked your butts off didn't ya?

This winter, it would be interesting to see how the solar panels are able to shed the snow.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
OP Offline
W
I had a TON of help from POND BOSS on this deal.

Highflyer spent a lot of time walking me through the stone ages. Picking components, sizing the system and helping me not be scared to tackle it. He even came out and looked everything over and helped me answer lots of questions about the lake!

Esshup has talked to me about this a ton over the years as well. Wouldn't buy my stuff from anyone else! He also reassured me to push through when I turned the aeration on and some Incredible Hulk looking algae started forming!

Phil from Michigan has talked to me about this for years now and is hopefully gonna design me a 3phase motor setup for this Winter! A genius when it comes to anything electrical and IMO a big loss to PB!

Bill Cody has also answered tons of questions about my place over the years.

Can't say thank you enough to these folks and all the others that have provided input as well! I would not be where I am at with my lake if it wasn't for Pond Boss.

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted By: esshup
Dang!!!!! That WAS a project, and it looks great! You guys worked your butts off didn't ya?

This winter, it would be interesting to see how the solar panels are able to shed the snow.....

Thanks Scott!

Images like this give me a good bit of confidence. As you can see anything that faces South just does not hold snow. That little generator shed in the pic doesn't "shed" the snow. There is no pile up under it. Actually, you can see where the snow in a ring around the base of the shed has melted due to the shed putting off heat gained from the sun. It's the same with the boulder in the background. The sun is so intense up there it doesn't take much and the snow melts. The MT Solar mount will let me tilt the panels just a hair shy of totally vertical. I won't put them there but they will be extremely steep. When tilted up like that the bottom of the panels is still 7' off the ground. That combined with them being black and the 10" black steel pipe under them is gonna kill the snow, IMO.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/08/17 08:09 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's a cool picture!!

I was just going to ask you about a 3 phase compressor and a PLC that a little bird told me about.... wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
OP Offline
W
That's a cool picture!!

I was just going to ask you about a 3 phase compressor and a PLC that a little bird told me about.... wink grin

Thanks again! I am crossing my fingers for that! A 1/3HP rig that would only draw 1 amp would be the Silver Bullet for the Winter out there! We could probably come real close to running that 24/7.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: wbuffetjr
That's a cool picture!!

Thanks again! I am crossing my fingers for that! A 1/3HP rig that would only draw 1 amp would be the Silver Bullet for the Winter out there! We could probably come real close to running that 24/7.

I think so! Plug n play will make it easy to install.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Well deserved Hell Ya!

I can't wait for the Jan 18 pics!

Side note, I would redo that cabling. But nicely done!

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Amazing! What a man will do to raise fish in his own pond, I love it smile

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Incredible! Certainly makes a guy appreciate the limitations of his own brain.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Great project and great photo documentation for others to get ideas. I am anxious to see how the solar aeration performs for you during Colorado's winter conditions.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Great stuff!

This would be perfect for an article in the magazine.

M
M
WOW! That is really, really impressive... You have exemplified, Where there is a will there is a way.

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks everyone! It has definitely been an adventure. I am looking forward to seeing what the DO data looks like when I get out there in September. Hoping for a big improvement. After 4 years of failure, I am ready for a win!

An article would be very fun. I would want Highflyer to help me with it.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
awesome project wbufferjr...great pics...thanks for sharing

(headed to Telluride this weekend, cant wait for the Colo temps)

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Very impressive.
Could make a nice article, like Chris says.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
W
OP Offline
W
Thank you Mr. Lusk! We will make it happen!

ZEP - you will be very close to our place. You should find a reason to come back that way in late September and stop by! I'll be back out there for archery Elk season and to collect a bunch of data. Also have a list of loose ends to finish up to prepare for Winter.

I was thinking it would be fun to have a Pond Boss get together at the cabin after archery season in September 2018. For all the folks that have helped, been interested over the last couple years or maybe looking to do their own system.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/25/17 06:11 AM.

W
OP Offline
W
Just a quick update. I went out to the cabin for two weeks last month. Fixed the battery cables and went through the logs. Our high power was pretty interesting. Had a high of 4,024 watts later in the trip but didn't get a picture of that for some reason. Panels are only rated for 3,105 watts. While running the 1HP compressor for 8 hours per day, I only had 4 days since the end of July where the system did not go into float (basically trickle charge).Batteries did not appear to have used any water at all.

Sounds to me like you are on the way to good aeration! Congrats on sticking it out all these years. This may just be the answer you want for that persistent winterkill problem that has plagued you.

Roger

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks Roger! I sure hope this solves the problem. I am trying to look on the bright side.... IF all the fish still die, at least I don't have to deal with a generator to run the cabin anymore! Haha

You got it my friend!

W
OP Offline
W
Figured I'd update this thread with my solar wins and losses.

Here was one of my losses from 2017/2018 Winter. This was a gut punch for sure. Mother Nature enjoys kicking my butt.

Summer 2018 I got the array all repaired and decided I would not give Mother Nature another chance. We took out over 30 Aspen trees that any chance at all to hit the array. The very last tree we cut fell on the newly repaired array. That was definitely Mother Nature Roshambo'ing me. No pics were taken of that.

Besides the twice smashed array everything has worked EXTREMELY well. The system has produced substantially more power than I have needed to run the aeration AND run the cabin during our Summer vacations. The batteries have been so lightly used they have needed very little maintenance. They are flooded lead acid batteries so by maintenance I mean adding water. They have gone half the year at a time and only need a small amount of water added. In order to further protect the batteries, the system is designed to cut off when the batteries are drawn down to ~60%. The system will automatically come back online once battery voltage has recharged back to an acceptable level. We have only seen the system drawn down to that point once or possibly twice I cannot recall for sure.

Heading into Winter 2018/2019 with the solar part of the system working better than ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images