Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mjfrey, emactxag, thoki, VitalinA23, Farmpond5343
15686 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15686 Members
36 Forums
36099 Topics
491336 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19590
Dave Davidson1 13600
Bill Cody 12520
Who's Online
6 registered (dreams of ponds, VitalinA23, sprkplug, bigpullerman, Theo Gallus, Mfitzs70), 123 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#498398 - 11/05/18 03:34 PM New Pond Aeration
bcraley Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have a 1/2 acre pond dug in March of this year, with average depth of 8 feet. Deeper 'swimming hole' of about 14 feet. Clay bottom. Need about 8 inches of water before full. Currently stocked with FHM.

Water is currently turbid and fertile. Best Secchi disc reading I've seen is about 16", which was in Oct after the first few frosts and a few weeks of no run off.

I plan to install bottom aeration and maybe surface aeration. Question is about when to actually start aeration. I plan to get the system installed early in spring.

Is there advantage to NOT aerating a brand new pond? Or should I get it install and running as soon as possible this spring?

#498401 - 11/05/18 04:15 PM Re: New Pond Aeration [Re: bcraley]
Quarter Acre Offline

Loc: West Central Missouri
I am fairly new to aeration myself (started my system in early summer this year and the pond had only been full for one year) and I will be starting my system back up next spring as soon as the air temps warm up above the water temps. I take water temp readings at 6" down, 18", and at the bottom (7 feet) from the end of my dock and will look at those readings for when the coldest water temp is below the coolest daytime temp. Once the daytime temps get above the water temps, it makes sense to start up aeration. I am trying to use the aeration system as a water warming mechanism as well as O2 provider. My theory is if I can warm the pond just a few days/weeks earlier and keep it warmer a few days/weeks later in the fall...I have added a week/month of a warmer environment which should result in a longer growing season. I may be splitting hairs with this theory, but using the air to water temp comparison makes good sense either way. There is no reason to cool the pond down early in the spring, just wait for the warmer weather. Now, switching to night time aeration instead of daytime during the heat of the summer can be important especially for small ponds.

I'm not convinced that my theory is really worth while because changing the aeration timing from night to days in the fall really messed with their feeding habits which could have nullified what warmth that I conserved. Next year is a new year and I will start the system up in the spring on days as soon as the air temps get above the water temps and switch to nights once my pond surface temps approach the low to mid 80's.

Whatever you do bring it up slowly...you know what I mean? If not, just say so and someone will advice on the proper start-up procedures. Bringing it up all at once can a bad deal.

#498437 - 11/06/18 01:08 PM Re: New Pond Aeration [Re: bcraley]
Mike Whatley Offline

Loc: Louisiana
I've shut my system down as well since the pond isn't threatening to boil any more. I've noticed my feeding has improved some, but it still isn't what I expected with surface temps around 70*. I'll keep throwing pellets as long as something is eating it...just not as much.

Today's Birthdays
Brett, CATMANDEW, Dennis, RERBABS
Recent Posts
What a difference a year makes.
by Audrey
Today at 04:56 AM
They're back!
by Audrey
Today at 04:54 AM
What are the chances?
by Audrey
Today at 04:52 AM
It's that time of year, again....
by Audrey
Today at 04:48 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by DrLuke
Yesterday at 07:55 PM
Pole saw
by 2Old2Soon
Yesterday at 12:29 PM
Hall of Fame 2018
by Pond Boss
Yesterday at 10:50 AM
Flocculant effective clearing
by DannyMac
Yesterday at 10:14 AM
My pond full of outcast
by bigpullerman
Yesterday at 08:06 AM
Fish delivery
by Mfitzs70
Yesterday at 06:40 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
My recent haul
Hello From Lufkin Texas!
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID
Vegetation ID
Our new pond

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide