Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,053
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Layne, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, jludwig, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 631 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
I have an old pond 50+ yrs. It has a conventional overflow system 12"-14" Dia. culvert. Is there a way to convert this system into a bottom draw. I was thinking I could run 12" HDPE down to the depth I wanted to draw from and either make a good seal at the junction of tin intake, or run 10" down inside the original and attach it to the intake tube. Is this a possibility or wishfull thinking? I will eventually have to put in a new system but wanted to do something on my own, soon.

Thanks, Fishhead

F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Anyone? :rolleyes: Just wondering if this is possible?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I have no experience with this, but am willing to give a "Plumber's Son" (Grandson, too) opinion. I believe it should work IF you can get a good seal between the existing drain pipe and the new descending pipe.

Two things I would worry about: 1) reducing the outflow too much with resulting increase in water backing up during heavy rains if you have to use a smaller pipe, and 2) making sure the bottom of the descending pipe is clear/not stuck in or sucking mud.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
Fishhead,
I like the idea of running 10" through the existing pipe. I would suggest running the 10" the full length of the existing pipe and cementing it in. Your existing corrugated metal pipe is probably starting to rust out. This would give it a permanent fix. Then go ahead with the siphon off of the 10"

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
zhkent, I didn't think about pouring cement down the drain to use as a seal. I guess the only thing that muddies the water with running 10" down the entire length is the fact that at some point my overflow does a 45 out to the spillway. There is no way I'll be able to make that corner.

There's a good 6" of water entering the overflow at this time so I will have to wait until we have some kind of drought, or make an over the dam siphon to draw it down.

I do have an emergency spill way that does in deed work. As we found out two summers ago after a 6" down pour in 3 hours. It trashed the pond for the year as it washed every corn cob in the county (seemed like) into it.

Thanks guys, I was thinking it should work but needed some reassurance. If I get it done this summer I'll take pictures so it can be documented and shared with others.

FH

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I wouldn't be afraid to do the work now. The concrete will set up fine under water. Once you insert the smaller pipe into the larger simply tamp some old rags, hay or whatever back as far in & between the pipes as is possible. The smaller pipe will then take the water flow & you can tamp the cement in around it.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Fishhead,

I am in the process of replacing my overflow drain with a bottom draw siphon system and adding an emergency spillway. My contractor is recommending to dig out the old drain pipe and install the new system in a different location. My current drain pipe is rusted and is no longer usable. Another option I came up with was sealing the old pipe (versus digging it up) with concrete; however, this was more expensive than just digging up the old pipe since it would take special equipment to push in the concrete + cost of material. Another issue with packing the old pipe is unseen air pockets, although these impact of these was minimal.

In both cases the pond needs to be drained down to the level of the old pipe.

I’m a beginner at this, so there is plenty of room for me to learn, but, I will let you know how it goes.

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??