Pond Boss Magazine
Newest Members
LaBassmaster, Andrew Epperson, Steve Grasberger, sriley, munsterlander
16216 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16217 Members
36 Forums
37122 Topics
505192 Posts

Max Online: 2022 @ 10/09/19 11:25 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19971
Dave Davidson1 14046
Bill Cody 12949
Who's Online
0 registered (), 696 Guests and 522 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#4980 - 04/14/05 10:14 AM Can I convert conventional into bottom draw
Fishhead Offline

Registered: 05/20/03
Posts: 103
Loc: Central Iowa
I have an old pond 50+ yrs. It has a conventional overflow system 12"-14" Dia. culvert. Is there a way to convert this system into a bottom draw. I was thinking I could run 12" HDPE down to the depth I wanted to draw from and either make a good seal at the junction of tin intake, or run 10" down inside the original and attach it to the intake tube. Is this a possibility or wishfull thinking? I will eventually have to put in a new system but wanted to do something on my own, soon.

Thanks, Fishhead

#4981 - 04/27/05 07:32 AM Re: Can I convert conventional into bottom draw
Fishhead Offline

Registered: 05/20/03
Posts: 103
Loc: Central Iowa
Anyone? :rolleyes: Just wondering if this is possible?

#4982 - 04/27/05 08:36 AM Re: Can I convert conventional into bottom draw
Theo Gallus Offline

Registered: 05/14/04
Posts: 12463
Loc: Central Ohio
I have no experience with this, but am willing to give a "Plumber's Son" (Grandson, too) opinion. I believe it should work IF you can get a good seal between the existing drain pipe and the new descending pipe.

Two things I would worry about: 1) reducing the outflow too much with resulting increase in water backing up during heavy rains if you have to use a smaller pipe, and 2) making sure the bottom of the descending pipe is clear/not stuck in or sucking mud.
"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling

#4983 - 04/28/05 07:01 AM Re: Can I convert conventional into bottom draw
zhkent Offline

Registered: 03/18/04
Posts: 229
Loc: Burlington, Kansas
I like the idea of running 10" through the existing pipe. I would suggest running the 10" the full length of the existing pipe and cementing it in. Your existing corrugated metal pipe is probably starting to rust out. This would give it a permanent fix. Then go ahead with the siphon off of the 10"
Make it look easy,

#4984 - 04/28/05 07:21 AM Re: Can I convert conventional into bottom draw
Fishhead Offline

Registered: 05/20/03
Posts: 103
Loc: Central Iowa
zhkent, I didn't think about pouring cement down the drain to use as a seal. I guess the only thing that muddies the water with running 10" down the entire length is the fact that at some point my overflow does a 45 out to the spillway. There is no way I'll be able to make that corner.

There's a good 6" of water entering the overflow at this time so I will have to wait until we have some kind of drought, or make an over the dam siphon to draw it down.

I do have an emergency spill way that does in deed work. As we found out two summers ago after a 6" down pour in 3 hours. It trashed the pond for the year as it washed every corn cob in the county (seemed like) into it.

Thanks guys, I was thinking it should work but needed some reassurance. If I get it done this summer I'll take pictures so it can be documented and shared with others.


#4985 - 04/28/05 05:58 PM Re: Can I convert conventional into bottom draw
Ric Swaim Offline

Registered: 04/24/03
Posts: 1902
Loc: Surry Co NC
I wouldn't be afraid to do the work now. The concrete will set up fine under water. Once you insert the smaller pipe into the larger simply tamp some old rags, hay or whatever back as far in & between the pipes as is possible. The smaller pipe will then take the water flow & you can tamp the cement in around it.
Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!

#4986 - 04/30/05 08:24 AM Re: Can I convert conventional into bottom draw
Alligator Offline

Registered: 03/30/05
Posts: 821
Loc: East Texas

I am in the process of replacing my overflow drain with a bottom draw siphon system and adding an emergency spillway. My contractor is recommending to dig out the old drain pipe and install the new system in a different location. My current drain pipe is rusted and is no longer usable. Another option I came up with was sealing the old pipe (versus digging it up) with concrete; however, this was more expensive than just digging up the old pipe since it would take special equipment to push in the concrete + cost of material. Another issue with packing the old pipe is unseen air pockets, although these impact of these was minimal.

In both cases the pond needs to be drained down to the level of the old pipe.

Iím a beginner at this, so there is plenty of room for me to learn, but, I will let you know how it goes.
- Smoke 'em if you got 'em


Today's Birthdays
Recent Posts
Only fish necessary for pond health
by John Fitzgerald
Yesterday at 11:29 PM
by Snipe
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
New Pond in NW KS. (The end of..)
by Snipe
Yesterday at 10:47 PM
F1 Bass in Southern Illinois?
by Andrew Epperson
Yesterday at 09:24 PM
Happy Birthday Catmandoo!
by Bill Cody
Yesterday at 08:21 PM
A Pond Log by QA
by jpsdad
Yesterday at 08:19 PM
Yellow perch eggs algae.
by Bill Cody
Yesterday at 08:16 PM
Anchor chains for rafts/toys
by Bill D.
Yesterday at 07:46 PM
North Texas 1/2 Acre Existing Pond - Few Fish
by DannyMac
Yesterday at 06:45 PM
Do Fry Survive Winter?
by ewest
Yesterday at 05:13 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Personal Record BGxRES
Harry's Pond
pond view
Fishing Colorado...finally
Releasing a quick snack

© 2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide