Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bobbss, anthropic, Fishingadventure), 519 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
L
What about the good old classics, like an M-80 tied to a rock? Can you get good fireworks (legal or otherwise) where you live? I live in NY, so all we are allowed are LED flashlights and sparklers.

When I did get my hands on those as a kid, 2-3 on a rock and a shared fuse, and anything nearby would float up for easy pickings. Drop them by the corn bag. It only stunned the fish, so most would wake up and swim off later.

I heard stories of when engineers were blasting the shipping channel in the St. Lawrence river in upstate, that simply massive fish would float up. Since they were not caught during angling, they were discounted from the record books. Even sharks would come up, which would regularly come up the river before the Robert Moses dam was built.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Keep us advised as to your success of removing carp. Here is a summary of a new method presented at the North American Lake Management Society annual meeting (Oct29-Nov02 2018, Cincinnati OH) authored by researchers in MN of baiting and trapping of carp.
Using Baited Box Nets to Remove Common Carp to Improve Water Quality in Shallow Lakes
Jordan Wein 1, Przemek Bajer 2, and Aaron Claus 1
1+Carp Solutions, Saint Paul, Minnesota; 2=University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, Minnesota
Website for Carp Solutions:
http://carpsolutionsmn.com/
Common carp are present in many shallow lakes across North America and can have significant negative impacts on nutrient and water quality parameters when in large numbers. Reducing common carp biomass has been shown to increase water clarity and aquatic vegetation as well as decrease phosphorus and chlorophyll levels. Although research shows that lakes can be restored by managing carp, implementation methods have been severely hindered by lack of effective removal techniques. Traditional methods such as lake drawdowns, poisoning, and commercial seining are often ineffective, harmful to native species, cost-prohibitive, and/or rely on a few specialized contractors that are difficult to secure. An innovative method has addressed this need via baiting and trapping using custom “box net” traps. This approach is consistent with scientific findings that common carp can be trained to aggregate in specific locations using corn as bait. The chief advantage of stationary box nets is that carp can be lured into them and effectively removed, even in lakes with debris on the bottom or where carp do not form natural aggregations. Further, baiting is simple enough that citizens can be trained to administer it, increasing the scalability and affordability of this strategy. Carp Solutions conducted proof-of-concept experiments in 4 Minnesota lakes between 7 and 120 hectares in 2017 which showed that 20–50% of carp were removed from each lake using only 1–4 nets, with no non-target impacts. Managing carp can be a great challenge, but the potential benefits are multi-faceted and box netting could be one solution.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/21/18 04:24 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Very interesting and makes good sense. Thank you for sharing!

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
This is very interesting. I know very little, or nothing, about box netting. I need to study up on this. Removing 20-50% sounds worth the effort. Thanks Bill.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Keep us advised as to your success of removing carp. Here is a summary of a new method presented at the North American Lake Management Society annual meeting (Oct29-Nov02 2018, Cincinnati OH) authored by researchers in MN of baiting and trapping of carp.
Using Baited Box Nets to Remove Common Carp to Improve Water Quality in Shallow Lakes
Jordan Wein 1, Przemek Bajer 2, and Aaron Claus 1
1+Carp Solutions, Saint Paul, Minnesota; 2=University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, Minnesota
Website for Carp Solutions:
http://carpsolutionsmn.com/
Common carp are present in many shallow lakes across North America and can have significant negative impacts on nutrient and water quality parameters when in large numbers. Reducing common carp biomass has been shown to increase water clarity and aquatic vegetation as well as decrease phosphorus and chlorophyll levels. Although research shows that lakes can be restored by managing carp, implementation methods have been severely hindered by lack of effective removal techniques. Traditional methods such as lake drawdowns, poisoning, and commercial seining are often ineffective, harmful to native species, cost-prohibitive, and/or rely on a few specialized contractors that are difficult to secure. An innovative method has addressed this need via baiting and trapping using custom “box net” traps. This approach is consistent with scientific findings that common carp can be trained to aggregate in specific locations using corn as bait. The chief advantage of stationary box nets is that carp can be lured into them and effectively removed, even in lakes with debris on the bottom or where carp do not form natural aggregations. Further, baiting is simple enough that citizens can be trained to administer it, increasing the scalability and affordability of this strategy. Carp Solutions conducted proof-of-concept experiments in 4 Minnesota lakes between 7 and 120 hectares in 2017 which showed that 20–50% of carp were removed from each lake using only 1–4 nets, with no non-target impacts. Managing carp can be a great challenge, but the potential benefits are multi-faceted and box netting could be one solution.

Is there any chance that there will be a video of this presentation available?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think one could contact the authors of the presentation after it is presented and they would send you a pdf copy of oral presentation. They might even post a link to their Powerpoint presentation on their website? I think the net method could be down sized for smaller bodies of water.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/22/18 05:02 PM.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Thanks Bill. Are you going to the presentation? I’ve emailed the link at the website you originally linked. I’m excited to hear back.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Not going to the conference. There are numerous good presentations by high qualified water management people. I am co-author for one of the presentations. Too busy working on water sample backlog. I try hard to have a quick turnaround for sample analysis.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/22/18 06:29 PM.

R
R
Back about 20 years ago when it flooded around here we got out are bow fishing gear. These fish normally get pretty big and are easy to hit with a bow.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
S
S
Pitch forks and hay hooks here.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
In smaller and moderate sized ponds, I think one could remove high numbers of carp by properly pre-baiting them (chumming), using good carp angling specialized methods, and then have carp fishing parties. Small prizes could be awarded for the most carp caught the smallest carp and biggest carp, etc. One could create a "running" homemade plaque with names of annual angler of the year award in each category.

S
S
Ditto Mr. Cody's suggestion.. We started doing this several years ago and it's great fun for the locals in our small 15 acre community pond. We also remove everything we can get during electrofishing but it's hard on equipment so we don't overdue it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
Pond needs help!