Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BobMoff, unclewilco, audio21, Hidden Acres, GrandBob
15652 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15652 Members
36 Forums
36023 Topics
490082 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19533
Dave Davidson1 13559
Bill Cody 12468
Who's Online
15 registered (jwetovick, snrub, Quarter Acre, LeighAnn, canyoncreek, Bobbss, Theo Gallus, roundy, bigpullerman, Hidden Acres, NEDOC, Brettski, FireIsHot, RStringer, anthropic), 136 Guests and 446 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#497349 - 10/09/18 11:48 PM Hopeful pond construction spring 2019
Keaton72 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hi. New here and was wanting to get some info on various aspects of maintenance a pond and what o expect before during and after construction. So a little background. My wife, three children and I have been living in our current home for almost 2 years and love it. Quiet farm house on 2.5 acres about 2 miles outside of a small farming community in west central Ohio. I have always loved the way ponds look on a property if well taken care of vs. a pool of any kind and enjoy fishing and the wildlife they bring in.

So I have never lived on a property that had a pond so I know next to nothing as far as taking ca of one which is why I joined this forum for future questions. Basically, my side yard to the west of me is about 3/4 acre and I am wanting a small 1/4 acre pond for recreational purposes and possible fishing (not sure what fish work well with this size of pond yet).

I have gotten some quotes ranging from $4500 up to $10,000 all depending on clay content. Hope to learn a few things and prepare myself for the upcoming construction.

Edited by Keaton72 (10/09/18 11:49 PM)

#497351 - 10/10/18 08:23 AM Re: Hopeful pond construction spring 2019 [Re: Keaton72]
Quarter Acre Online   content

Loc: West Central Missouri
Welcome to the club Keaton!

I think you will find plenty of options for a small pond as far as fish stocking goes. Some folks find it difficult to combine the swimming and stocking fish components, however. I'm not saying that it won't work by no means, but catfish tend to muddy a pond and blue gill and/or hybrid blue gill tend to nip at swimmers. It's my opinion that these types of fish best suit a smaller pond. I have stocked HBG, HSB, and RES and am incredibly impressed with the HSB, if I ever have to start over in the pond, I may just do the stripped bass with a stock, grow, remove and restock program...we'll see.

A couple concepts that you will learn pretty quick is that bass (LMB) tend to overpopulate a pond too quickly and the fish can run out of food and suffer growth stunting. Blue gill (BG) can do the same thing. The balance is what we are all after so read, read, read, and ask questions. I'm sure you can develop a pond plan by spring.

Be prepared to test your patience, however. Ponds will take there time to develop and mature. I say this with the first year in mind. I am a true believer that stocking forage fish in the pond for the first year all by themselves. I did it due to advice here at PB and give my first years growth of my stocked fish 90% credit to the massive amounts of forage minnows (FHM) that were available. It was very difficult to not stock the game fish right out of the gate.

Another piece of advice...start a log thread for your pond. Refrain from asking questions in it if you can so that it turns out to basically be a diary of your progress. I wish I had started one when I broke the old dam and started refurbishing the old pond.

Anyhow, before you get the idea that we, here at PB, are all long winded, I'll stop because it's just me (and a few others with the gift.)

#497359 - 10/10/18 01:08 PM Re: Hopeful pond construction spring 2019 [Re: Keaton72]
Bobbss Online   content

Loc: Jefferson County Missouri
Welcome! First of all I'm no pro, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. Lol! Do you know how much water shed you have? You may want to try to get it in before spring, so the spring rains can help fill it. Also spring rains can make things to wet for digging. If you have a very large water shed area, you may be better off waiting til after the spring rains, so you can get some grass growing to keep things from eroding. Maybe someone that knows more than me will put their two cents in.lol!

I Subscribe To Pond Boss

#497360 - 10/10/18 01:27 PM Re: Hopeful pond construction spring 2019 [Re: Keaton72]
Bocomo Offline

Loc: Boone County, MO (pond)
Consider buying the Perfect Pond book from the Pond Boss store. $27 now might save you $1000s later.

Perfect Pond in store

Edited by Bocomo (10/10/18 01:28 PM)

#497362 - 10/10/18 04:37 PM Re: Hopeful pond construction spring 2019 [Re: Keaton72]
Keaton72 Offline

Wow thanks for the reply guys. I will have to look into the book. I donít know the exact amount of watershed in the area but I do now that it is pretty good as the side yard is slightly downhill from my pole barn and house so all runoff from them go right into that yard. As far as fish, well we are doing this pond more so for swimming and rec so I will definitely do my research in regards to what fish I stock and how to properly stock it. Thanks for the advice guys keep it coming.

#497377 - 10/11/18 04:11 AM Re: Hopeful pond construction spring 2019 [Re: Keaton72]
Keaton72 Offline

Well I did a quick search and found https://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/.

I did the Web soil survey tool and I am not sure if the results look promising or not. I know a thorough on site investigation would need to be done but this was easy enough to try and perhaps give me an idea of my soil. Ill post some screen shots and see what you guys think. It also says the PI is 17.7%.

Attachments
soil survey.PNG (24 downloads)
soil survey 2.PNG (13 downloads)
clay content.PNG (21 downloads)

Edited by Keaton72 (10/11/18 04:15 AM)

#497381 - 10/11/18 07:48 AM Re: Hopeful pond construction spring 2019 [Re: Keaton72]
Dave Davidson1 Offline
Lunker

Loc: Hurst & Bowie, Texas
You can have either fish or mosquitos.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

#497383 - 10/11/18 08:39 AM Re: Hopeful pond construction spring 2019 [Re: Dave Davidson1]
Keaton72 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
You can have either fish or mosquitos.

How much does stocking a pond help with mosquitos? Iím guessing pretty significantly but really donít have a clue.

#497386 - 10/11/18 10:59 AM Re: Hopeful pond construction spring 2019 [Re: Keaton72]
John Fitzgerald Offline

Loc: S. end of Elkins, Arkansas
If you stock with Gambusia, or even some type of sunfish, like Bluegill, the mosquitoes are completely eliminated. If no fish, you will have a big mosquito problem. The health department might even get involved if you have a mosquito pit.

#497400 - 10/11/18 07:00 PM Re: Hopeful pond construction spring 2019 [Re: Keaton72]
ZIGMAN Offline

Loc: NE OHIO
I would suggest you contact your County Conservation District. Mine was very helpful.

#497401 - 10/11/18 08:13 PM Re: Hopeful pond construction spring 2019 [Re: ZIGMAN]
Keaton72 Offline

Originally Posted By: ZIGMAN
I would suggest you contact your County Conservation District. Mine was very helpful.

I did call the local county NRCS and they said they will come out with my pond builder to do the test holes so I may have to wait because the builder acted like he wanted to do them next year closer to when I was wanting To start the pond.

Does anybody have any experience using the web soil survey tool and how accurate it was for them compared to what the test holes found? My soil looks to be pretty good if the wss tool is somewhat accurate, at least from what I have researched so far.

#497406 - 10/12/18 06:58 AM Re: Hopeful pond construction spring 2019 [Re: Keaton72]
Dave Davidson1 Offline
Lunker

Loc: Hurst & Bowie, Texas
Another possibility, that I havenít tried, is green dye. It cuts down on photosynthesis.

If you stock fish of any kind they will spawn. Possibly over spawn, and cause an O2 shortage with a resulting die off. Every fish needs a predator. So, you may need something like fatheads or gambusia matched with hybrid bluegills. Some have found that hbg have a tendency to nip swimmers. I havenít noticed that but it has been reported here.

No real sure thing, bullet proof answers.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Today's Birthdays
Brad B., JAWGADAWG
Recent Posts
Water Loss During Initial Fill
by Quarter Acre
One acre pond on hillside
by Quarter Acre
Amazing the variety of soft plastic fish attack
by canyoncreek
Red ear in nebraska
by NEDOC
My pond full of outcast
by bigpullerman
10:39 AM
Hi, everyone!
by Flame
08:50 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by jludwig
08:15 AM
Catmandoo birthday
by FireIsHot
08:05 AM
Adult gills vs yoy
by Dave Davidson1
06:20 AM
Stocking Plan
by Heppy
11:53 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID
Vegetation ID
Our new pond
CNBG
My Best Longear so far

© 2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide