Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BobMoff, unclewilco, audio21, Hidden Acres, GrandBob
15652 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15652 Members
36 Forums
36023 Topics
490081 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19533
Dave Davidson1 13559
Bill Cody 12468
Who's Online
14 registered (Quarter Acre, LeighAnn, canyoncreek, Bobbss, Theo Gallus, roundy, bigpullerman, Hidden Acres, NEDOC, Brettski, FireIsHot, RStringer, anthropic, blavis), 137 Guests and 450 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#497218 - 10/05/18 09:32 AM Tiger Muskie
mbj4ksu Offline
Lunker

Loc: Kansas
I've done some reading here and elsewhere about Tiger Muskie to "cull" lmb. My pond is only 1.5 acres or so. I can't get to it as often as I would like and my relative weights are telling me I'm not culling enough small bass. Has anyone had direct experience with them in a similar scenario? Is my pond too small? I would consider 1 or 2 Tiger Muskie and would certainly enjoy catching one from time to time.

#497219 - 10/05/18 10:17 AM Re: Tiger Muskie [Re: mbj4ksu]
NEDOC Online   content
Lunker

Loc: SC Nebraska
I'm in the middle of a couple experiences like yours. Just last week I stocked 2 TM in each of 2 ponds that were just under an acre. My biggest concern in the lakes that I stocked them in is water temp exceeding that which allows TM to survive in the summer. So that would most likely be a concern with your pond as well considering you are south of me. Unless you have spring fed pond with cool water refuge in the summer. Where are you located in KS? You may be able to drive up and get 1-2 TM from me.

#497221 - 10/05/18 11:16 AM Re: Tiger Muskie [Re: mbj4ksu]
mbj4ksu Offline
Lunker

I live just south of KC but my pond is another hour south of that. What is the upper temperature tolerance for a TM?

#497224 - 10/05/18 12:37 PM Re: Tiger Muskie [Re: mbj4ksu]
NEDOC Online   content
Lunker

Iíve researched that quite a bit but canít get a definitive answer. I believe it varies according to size with larger tiger Muskie needing cooler water than younger smaller tiger Muskie. From people Iíve talked to and according to State of Nebraska stocking plans pure strain Muskie tolerate warmer water than tiger. And Iím fairly certain thereís 0% chance youíd have to worry about reproduction. So that may be a better option. In fact itís probably a better option for both of us. But I wanted to play around with TM for a few years before moving on to pure Muskie.

Side note: I did have a northern pike, the least warm water tolerant of the 3, survive up to 37Ē in my 2/3 acre pond. That pond does have a deeper section than my large pond, but it does make me hopeful that tiger Muskie can survive.

#497227 - 10/05/18 02:10 PM Re: Tiger Muskie [Re: mbj4ksu]
mbj4ksu Offline
Lunker

Hmm? Maybe I'd better dig deeper. My pond has pretty steep banks and gets to about 14' deep over a good portion of the total area of the pond. I'm not sure where I could source them from. It's a long drive from Nebraska back to my pond. We get up to Omaha a good bit. It's probably 4.5hrs from Omaha to my pond.

#497228 - 10/05/18 02:57 PM Re: Tiger Muskie [Re: mbj4ksu]
teehjaeh57 Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Agreed Corey - of the Esox NP have the least warm water tolerance, then TM, then Muskie. Makes sense when you review a map of their native ranges - NP are common from Northern NE all the way up to the Artic, but Muskies Northern range, like SMB, seem to end about 50-100 miles over the CA border. I have read about Muskies in TN and KY reservoirs which also host SMB populations and they routinely grow into the 40-50 LB range. If I were stocking TM into a small BOW in KS I'd set my aeration diffusers in 3/4 max depth in order to allow a thermocline to establish and provide cool water refuge during the dog days of Summer while still allowing for the benefit of aeration. I harbor concerns depending on Esox species to manage LMB populations as they will also hammer other species - I'd recommend angling to cull/manage LMB especially in a small BOW, it's easy to catch 25-50 LMB daily between a few anglers. TM aren't worth the risk due to the impact on entire fishery, IMO...plus fishing is a lot more fun!

#497229 - 10/05/18 03:13 PM Re: Tiger Muskie [Re: mbj4ksu]
NEDOC Online   content
Lunker

Originally Posted By: mbj4ksu
Hmm? Maybe I'd better dig deeper. My pond has pretty steep banks and gets to about 14' deep over a good portion of the total area of the pond. I'm not sure where I could source them from. It's a long drive from Nebraska back to my pond. We get up to Omaha a good bit. It's probably 4.5hrs from Omaha to my pond.

I'll get you a couple if that's the route you choose and if I have a few extra. But its 3:45 to the KC airport for me. So 5 plus to your pond. Tigers are hard to source. I believe I saw a website with some pure strain in Missouri. I'll look to see if I can find that again.

#497281 - 10/07/18 11:06 AM Re: Tiger Muskie [Re: mbj4ksu]
mbj4ksu Offline
Lunker

Thanks for the input guys! NEDOC, let me chew on this and get back to you if think I want to give this a try.

#497292 - 10/08/18 07:59 AM Re: Tiger Muskie [Re: mbj4ksu]
NEDOC Online   content
Lunker

Here's the website with pure strain advertised. They also have pike, which is interesting.

http://www.harrisonfishery.com/speciesEcoSys.htm

#497297 - 10/08/18 09:39 AM Re: Tiger Muskie [Re: mbj4ksu]
Quarter Acre Online   content

Loc: West Central Missouri
I can put in a good word for Harrison's. I went to the fish farm last April to pick up my HBG, HSB, and RES. Kurt (owner) was good to meet and deal with. He is very personable and you can tell he enjoys what he does. I do not think that the HSB were breed/raised at his farm. I would be willing to bet that the more exotics for the area are not as well. I would call them and ask, he may even offer a recommendation for a farm closer to you. I think they make a heavy percentage of their income delivering fish, not so much the small guy like me showing up with some barrels and a pick-up truck. Therefore, they work closely with other farms which allows them to offer more species as they can pick up species that they do not carry on there way to/from a delivery and store them in their stock tanks for the customer.

#497309 - 10/08/18 01:27 PM Re: Tiger Muskie [Re: mbj4ksu]
NEDOC Online   content
Lunker

I'll be honest, even though it could be a mistake in managing your pond, I'd love to see you stock a few tiger muskie. Selfishly, I just wanna see more small pond management experiences in muskie management. I think tigers would be a better option for one reason only..... they're easier to catch. So if they aren't working to improve your pond it should be easier to remove them.... In theory.

#497354 - 10/10/18 09:48 AM Re: Tiger Muskie [Re: mbj4ksu]
mbj4ksu Offline
Lunker

I'm tempted NEDOC. It would be an interesting, albeit small, case study.

Today's Birthdays
Brad B., JAWGADAWG
Recent Posts
One acre pond on hillside
by Quarter Acre
6 minutes 33 seconds ago
Amazing the variety of soft plastic fish attack
by canyoncreek
8 minutes 59 seconds ago
Red ear in nebraska
by NEDOC
48 minutes 44 seconds ago
My pond full of outcast
by bigpullerman
58 minutes 10 seconds ago
Water Loss During Initial Fill
by Hidden Acres
Today at 10:33 AM
Hi, everyone!
by Flame
Today at 08:50 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by jludwig
Today at 08:15 AM
Catmandoo birthday
by FireIsHot
Today at 08:05 AM
Adult gills vs yoy
by Dave Davidson1
Today at 06:20 AM
Stocking Plan
by Heppy
Yesterday at 11:53 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID
Vegetation ID
Our new pond
CNBG
My Best Longear so far

© 2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide