Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
SlabSeeker, wannapond0001, gameP, Oddo, Marizanne
15702 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15703 Members
36 Forums
36157 Topics
492176 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19621
Dave Davidson1 13633
Bill Cody 12556
Who's Online
8 registered (Theo Gallus, snrub, Bing, Vortex 4, Shorty, Chris Steelman, anthropic, bigpullerman), 139 Guests and 407 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#496605 - 09/20/18 12:13 AM Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor
aeb Offline

Loc: Texas
Looks like I am going to have to replace the upper motor on one of my TH fish feeders. Was getting late when I made it to that pond this evening and there wasn't enough light for me to really see how it is attached. How do I remove it?

#496649 - 09/20/18 09:32 PM Re: Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor [Re: aeb]
aeb Offline

A little daylight helps a bunch.

Removing the plexiglass funnel cover will give you access to the upper motor.

The spinner plate then can be removed by loosening the shaft's setscrew.

Once the spinner plate is out of the way, the two small screws holding the upper motor can be accessed through the hopper.

Now that I have it torn down, I'm also going to replace the lower motor.
Unfortunately, the set screw on the bottom motor is being ugly. Time to break out the penetrating oil.

#496662 - 09/21/18 08:09 AM Re: Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor [Re: aeb]
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
I am having problems on 1 of my 3 TH feeders. I hope the problem is solved by replacing the battery. Problem I have is with the timer, and when I checked on it yesterday it posted 12 pm as the time of day but it was 8:30 am. I have had a problem with the timer awhile back due to the sunlight being blocked from the solar panel in the early morning hrs. Caused by growing plants. I cleared the problem so for now I am hoping its just an older battery. This TH feeder I bought used and I have had it for a little over 3 yrs so I am not sure exactly how old it is, so it is possible it's the timer panel that needs to be replaced.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#496669 - 09/21/18 09:21 AM Re: Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor [Re: aeb]
Flame Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas
Tracy, any idea how old that battery is? I read 18 months is average for a battery. Our local lumber company sells a "generic" batterythat is an exact fit for only $17. That's a cheap fix or test whichever way you want to look at it. Also,If you have electricity acess you can hook a battery charger to it to determine if that's the problem. Or remove the battery and take it to your garage and try to charge it. Note: When mine acted up I replaced the battery and problem solved and....it was exactly 18 months!! Let us know what you find out. Always need knowledge about these feeders. There may be a TH feeder trouble shooting guide on the WWW somewhere??

#496672 - 09/21/18 11:12 AM Re: Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor [Re: TGW1]
aeb Offline

Tracy, I have had no problems with my control heads....except for the one that took an extended bath during flooding.

My first thought is that you just may need a new battery.

When you press the "Menu" button, what comes up on the screen? If you often see "charging", that is a good indication that the battery is not holding a charge.

Also, check all the connections. Corrosion in the battery terminal connections is not uncommon and is pretty easy to check. I have never had corrosion problems with the other connections but it might be worth your time to break them apart and do a visual check for tell-tale white powder.

The first question anyone dealing with electronic will ask you is, "Have you unplugged and then plugged it back in a bit later?" Probably will not help in your situation but I have wasted time chasing ghosts that disappeared after a reboot.

I use the SLA 1075 from Interstate Battery for my replacements. Best I remember, they run about $20.

Hope this helps.

#496744 - 09/23/18 06:57 AM Re: Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor [Re: aeb]
TGW1 Offline

Flame, if I kept records like you, I would know how old the battery is. smile I am not good at record keeping and my memory storage is not what it used to be smile I bought a battery from Academy, I think the battery I am replacing came from there also, so it might not be the best battery choice out there. And aeb, after running game cameras for several years now, I have tried out many different brands when it comes to double AA batteries and discovered the best AA batteries are Interstate and will out last others by far. The problem is the only place I can find them is at the Interstate battery dealer and none can be located from other places or stores. So, I would bet Intrastate would also have the best battery for the TH Feeders. I need to check and see if they carry the 12 volt battery at the Intrastate battery dealers. I have not had a chance to change out the new battery, it's been raining for a couple of days and so I've not made it to the farm.

I will say it again, Intrastate battery has the best double AA batteries for your game cameras. And will out last other AA batteries. I have tried most every brand on many different brand name cameras, I think we have 6 out right now and have ran 11 of them in the past, and went through a lot of double AA's till we found Intrastate brand. And 2nd place was believe it or not Tractor Supply batteries. But only the ones that had the brand name Tractor supply and not their other double A's.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#496761 - 09/23/18 02:11 PM Re: Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor [Re: Flame]
anthropic Online   content

Loc: East Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Flame
Tracy, any idea how old that battery is? I read 18 months is average for a battery. Our local lumber company sells a "generic" batterythat is an exact fit for only $17. That's a cheap fix or test whichever way you want to look at it. Also,If you have electricity acess you can hook a battery charger to it to determine if that's the problem. Or remove the battery and take it to your garage and try to charge it. Note: When mine acted up I replaced the battery and problem solved and....it was exactly 18 months!! Let us know what you find out. Always need knowledge about these feeders. There may be a TH feeder trouble shooting guide on the WWW somewhere??

18 months, plus or minus a couple, is what I've gotten on my TH feeder batteries. That's usually the problem I run into, other than plants growing in the path of the feed and fire ants.

However, I did experience one instance where the solar panel was defective and had to be replaced. If you never see "charging" on the Menu, even when you put in a new battery, the solar panel is likely the culprit.

Edited by anthropic (09/23/18 02:18 PM)

There are only 10 types of people; those who understand binary and those who don't

#496782 - 09/24/18 08:00 AM Re: Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor [Re: aeb]
TGW1 Offline

I have to agree with the 18 months but this time not so much. I seem to remember replacing this battery not so long ago. And that is why I am not sure it's the battery. I will make it out there today to change it out and hope it's just a bad battery. There are a few ants around the feeder but nothing like I had at another feeder. I did have to clean another TH feeder a few weeks ago because of ants. I never had an ant problem using the Cargils feed for 3 yrs but it started when I tried the Optimal and continues with the MVP, but it could just be that the ants would have shown up anyway.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#496784 - 09/24/18 08:32 AM Re: Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor [Re: aeb]
Clay N' Pray Offline

Loc: Caswell co NC
I just think of ants as extra protein.
They hold on to the pellets and take the long ride.

#496827 - 09/25/18 08:28 AM Re: Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor [Re: aeb]
TGW1 Offline

Like you said, I considered ants were a plus when the feeder threw them into the pond. But I found out yesterday the ants were all up in the electronic parts of the feeder and that was causing the problem. Had to take the timer apart and blow air all through it removing the ants. I had to do the same to another TH feeder timer a few weeks back. What is it about electricity that attracts ants to nest up inside where there are electric panels, currents etc? When I noticed the problem with the timer the other day I did not see all the ants, but yesterday there were ants all over the timer, so I knew the ants were the problem because I had the same problem a few weeks back on another feeder.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

#496829 - 09/25/18 10:02 AM Re: Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor [Re: aeb]
FireIsHot Offline

Loc: Emory TX
Tracy, try Tanglefoot on your feeder legs. I've used it on hummingbird feeders and TH legs, and it stops ant movement almost instantly.

Applying it with an old butter knife, and and some throw away latex gloves will keep you from cussing me later.

Edited by FireIsHot (09/25/18 10:02 AM)

#496866 - 09/26/18 08:01 AM Re: Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor [Re: aeb]
TGW1 Offline

Thanks Al, I will have to give it a try. cleaning out the electric panel of ants is time consuming and just a pain.
Outlaws and proud of it

Tracy

Today's Birthdays
andedammen, Lucky Larry, tdh10147
Recent Posts
My pond full of outcast
by snrub
Today at 04:36 PM
No vegetation=no large bass
by Mike Whatley
Today at 01:01 PM
How much do TFS change the fishing?
by jpsdad
Today at 09:42 AM
adding a artesian flow
by Bill D.
Today at 08:09 AM
TP in Mid East OH this spring?
by Theo Gallus
Yesterday at 06:49 PM
Long-time stocked rainbows
by Bill Cody
Yesterday at 11:48 AM
2019 ice fishing "pre"season results
by Bill Cody
Yesterday at 11:42 AM
PB Magazine arrived!
by FireIsHot
Yesterday at 11:32 AM
Using tarp for structure?
by FireIsHot
Yesterday at 11:07 AM
Ice Fishing on Bremer Pond
by Sunil
Yesterday at 10:58 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Pond site
Pond dig
My recent haul
Hello From Lufkin Texas!
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide