Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,109
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
8 members (jbird5986, Boondoggle, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Deancutler, Angler8689, FireIsHot, Treeguy27), 774 guests, and 174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#495886 09/04/18 08:39 PM
B
Brad346 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello folks. I own and or manage several ponds in western Colorado. When most people think Colorado, they think trout. We are in an area that is just a little too warm for trout. They survive, but if you catch them in July or August, they die, and they never reproduce in our waters. I have one pond doing well with LMB, BG, CC, Black Crappie, and some FHM. I really wish it had more bluegill. I'm in the process of building a new dam and pond that will get flooded next spring. Stocking fish here, especially warm water species, is highly regulated, and very expensive.

Brad
1.5 acre pond with LMB, BG, BCP, CC, FHM and lots of crayfish, unknown type. .5 acre pond with FHM and GSF. 12 acre irrigation reservoir that I don't know what to do with. New pond, roughly 1.5 acres. Pond Boss Subscriber.
Welcome to the forum Brad. I'm down in the sw corner of the state near Dolores.
My pond is considered cool watered. YP do well in it; LMB can be prolific if not heavily culled. I'm having a hard time getting BG established. They went in 4 years ago; GSF went in 3 years ago. I rarely see or catch a BG. GSF are abundant and some have reached 11 inches. Chunks, for sure.
My pond is clay bottomed. I've added a few rock piles and a variety of other cover. Elodea is thick.
I haven't determined why I can't get BG recruitment. Our regional fisheries biologist states that our local lakes are just not warm enough for reliable, abundant BG reproduction.
I'd like to get some of our experts' advice on increasing BG productivity. Maybe whatever they advise for one of us will work for the other, too.
I'll be following this thread with interest.
Thanks for joining us. There are few Colorado posters on the forum.
Roger

B
Brad346 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
The bluegill I have in the pond that is established spawn after the bass. Probably a tempature thing, but I’d love to hear an expert opinion on that too.

Brad
1.5 acre pond with LMB, BG, BCP, CC, FHM and lots of crayfish, unknown type. .5 acre pond with FHM and GSF. 12 acre irrigation reservoir that I don't know what to do with. New pond, roughly 1.5 acres. Pond Boss Subscriber.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Roger, I find it strange that the GSF are prolific and BG aren't.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Brad346 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Roger,
Several of our smaller ponds have inherited GSF from upstream neighbors. A book about Colorado fish that my son brought home from school says they spawn at 55 degrees like crappie, and bluegill at 68. It probably takes an extra month for our ponds to make that change. That could be why we are seeing lack luster performance from our Bluegill. I have heard of one pond near Montrose that used to be GSF and YP, but is now almost all BG. It is a reclaimed gravel pit, so now I’m thinking gravel might be an answer.

Brad
DD1, yes I've found it strange that GSF increase in abundance while BG dwindle.
If indeed GSF spawn earlier at lower water temp than BG, the greenie fry and fingerlings could be gobbling up the later hatched BG?
The BG stockers went in the year I started hammering down the LMB numbers. I took out just over 100 LMB that year. The next year, the year I stocked GSF, I only was able to remove approx 45 LMB. Year after that, 30 something. This year it's down in the teens, and a number of LMB are eating Optimal BG, so have little need to eat sunfish.
It could be the LMB got too many BG early on, although the year after I stocked BG I could catch and release a few each day I fished.
Pardon my late reply. I travelled to se Colorado for several days of excellent dove hunting.
Brad, thanks for you posts. We may soon have some answers.
Roger

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Perhaps consider Pumpkinseed sunfish over Bluegill. Not only a gorgeous fish to look at that prefers cooler waters, they also grow to nice sizes, reproduce monthly like gills, and, they eat snails like Redear

Last edited by Rainman; 09/08/18 11:23 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I am reminded that this stuff is largely or often regional. In my area about 60 miles NNW of Fort Worth, I have a small forage pond that is mostly Green Sunfish. I never intentionally stocked them. Channel cats are the only predator. When I seine it, I find mostly GSF and readily dump both GSF and BG into my one acre pond. There, catching a GSF is not unusual but actually rare. The predators there are probably about 7 or 8 HSB and some unknown quantity of bass that survived a serious drought.

I'm also reminded that it's seine time again.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Rainman, thanks for chiming in.
Yes, I'm in agreement with you about the beauty and desirability of pumpkinseeds. I grew up catching them in eastern Pennsylvania.
As Brad mentioned in his first post, sourcing warm water species is not easy here in Colorado. We have no warm water fish suppliers closer than an 8 hour drive. Permitting is not a piece of cake. I've never heard of a fish truck passing through, although people got their LMB, GSF, YP, and BCP somehow in the past.
I'll track down some PS and make the long drive in cool weather.

B
Brad346 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
If you find a source for PS, I'd like to know about it. Maybe we could split the cost. I'm not sure how the permitting would be, but I got permitted for BG, so PS shouldn't be any different.

Thanks everyone for your input. I thought I knew what I wanted for my new pond, but reading the forum has got me thinking about a lot of different angles. Lots of fun!

Brad

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails