Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic, Brev), 714 guests, and 197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Four years ago I dug a pond. I found Pond Boss, the Magazine, the Forum with all the good moderators and other pond owners, and the Pond Boss Conference's. I planned for big LMB. Then, influenced by George Glazner, I added plans for growing out some HSB. I had a plan. I would manage a pond along side of managing the deer, turkey etc on the land. So everting is good, Right? Wrong, one does not know what one does not know. So, I have gone through many lessons at the pond/pond management. I learned about having good water after having problems with excess nutrients/detritus/excess blooms. Then I learned about balance in fish numbers. And then I learned more about about water turkeys than what I wanted to learn. Great Blue Herons and the damage they can do. Along with the big white herons, Oh! the Black Herons too. I learned about what snakes liked to hang out around the pond. Turtles to. And I met up with this Hugh Beaver, followed a year later by a female and her pup. I also met 6 or 7 River otters over the past three years. So now I am thinking of the movie karate Kid where they spoke of balance. Balance, there is no Balance!!! I am setting in the boat yesterday along with my 10 month old Golden Retriever. We have been training at the pond for the past 6 to 7 months. We are setting there in the boat and after making a few casts, looking for some bass to weigh and measure. Up pops this GATOR. It's like he was investigating us. He is 10' away from us. Now this gator was a small one, maybe 2 and a half foot long. But, it was like he was checking us out to see if we were eatable. smile So, now I am thinking of ZEP and his artificial gator heads floating on his water. And I think of Frank(Anthropic) who seems to think he has a goose and cormorant problem. Frank, I may have found a solution for you smile Come get this gator. Ponds have been a learning experience and so I just thought I would pass this experience along. smile

Last edited by TGW1; 09/14/18 07:27 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Tracy, I don't know if I should laugh or cry for you! At least you have a good attitude about it.

Maybe gators could be used farther north kinda like Tilapia or Water Hyacinths for pond management. You know, like a temporary fix for a pond problem. Once winter hits...the equalizer (the gator) ceases.

OR, there are people who bring in goats and fences to clear overgrown properties. Once the ground is clear they take the goats and fences away. I can see it now..."Tracy's Gator Solutions"! Do you have Water Turkeys, Herons, Beaver, Otter, Snakes, Nosey Neighbors, Trespassers, Poachers ruining your water haven? Say goodbye to them and hello to Al...

Attached Images
Al the Gator.jpg

Fish on!,
Noel
C
C
RentaGator.com !!!
Sounds like a great idea.

I bet i would end up with pellet trained gators...

A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Four years ago I dug a pond. I found Pond Boss, the Magazine, the Forum with all the good moderators and other pond owners, and the Pond Boss Conference's. I planned for big LMB. Then, influenced by George Glazner, I added plans for growing out some HSB. I had a plan. I would manage a pond along side of managing the deer, turkey etc on the land. So everting is good, Right? Wrong, one does not know what one does not know. So, I have gone through many lessons at the pond/pond management. I learned about having good water after having problems with excess nutrients/detritus/excess blooms. Then I learned about balance in fish numbers. And then I learned more about about water turkeys than what I wanted to learn. Great Blue Herons and the damage they can do. Along with the big white herons, Oh! the Black Herons too. I learned about what snakes liked to hang out around the pond. Turtles to. And I met up with this Hugh Beaver, followed a year later by a female and her pup. I also met 6 or 7 River otters over the past three years. So now I am thinking of the movie karate Kid where they spoke of balance. Balance, there is no Balance!!! I am setting in the boat yesterday along with my 10 month old Golden Retriever. We have been training at the pond for the past 6 to 7 months. We are setting there in the boat and after making a few casts, looking for some bass to weigh and measure. Up pops this GATOR. It's like he was investigating us. He is 10' away from us. Now this gator was a small one, maybe 2 and a half foot long. But, it was like he was checking us out to see if we were eatable. smile So, now I am thinking of ZEP and his artificial gator heads floating on his water. And I think of Frank(Anthropic) who seems to think he has a goose and cormorant problem. Frank, I may have found a solution for you smile Come get this gator. Ponds have been a learning experience and so I just thought I would pass this experience along. smile

Tracy, I bet we could train that gator to eat cormorant & goose filets, just to get him the right idea on his lawful prey. My daughter in law would have a conniption if we had a gator big enough to be dangerous to the grandkids!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
You know, you just have to laugh at it all and wonder what's next lol. On the good side I went back this morning and looked for the small gator. Did not see him. But I did manage to catch two lmb, one 14"er weighing 1.8 lbs so he is a little over 100% range on the relative weight charts and the 2nd was a 14 and a 1/2"er weighing 2.10lbs and she was way over the 100% mark. So, were good. I just need to find that little gator before he gets bigger. Hoping not to find it's mom. smile

Tracy
I don't envy you folks that have to share your space with gators. The occasional copper head around here is enough. One bite might ruin the weekend, but a gator can turn you into pond muck. I don't need that!

Fish on!,
Noel
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
QA, you are right, I don't need them either. The pond is not a grow out pond for gators. Course I don't need copper heads, or rattlers or moc's either. This is a lmb pond lol

Tracy
NE TX gators are partial to Oscar Myers bologna. No Hy-top brand for them.

AL

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Al, good to know smile smile

Tracy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images