Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: ewest
PB meetings are top notch and a great time meeting everyone. If you can go - DO - you will be glad you went. I would be there if it was closer to me but Kansas is to far from MS.

Thanks Eric. A PBF get together that Highflyer had in east Texas is where we met the first time (the second one I attended). Sorry you will not make it but I certainly understand.

Last edited by snrub; 09/01/18 06:30 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Dang, sure wish I could make it but I will be airborne while this is going on. I would sure love to see your ponds and meet more of the PB family, every PB get together I have been to was well worth the trip. Steve

John,

It official, The boss and I are planning on attending. I'll bring a project or two.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I was hoping to meet you Shorty but I understand. Trying to pick a date for something like this is just a shot in the dark for picking a time people will be able to make it. We will hook up some day though.

I was hoping to have a RES catching expert to show me how big my RES are. I mostly catch small ones. grin

Great news Brian. Be great to see you again and glad you are bringing your better half also.

John

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I am planning on coming. Kids have soccer games Saturday morning and then I hope to head down. Might be after lunch before I arrive. Looking forward to meeting some PB folks. Thanks so much.
Mark

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Great to hear you are going to make it. Look forward to meeting you.

Had enough rain recently the main pond as well as sediment and forage ponds are full and in good shape. Old pond and RES pond still near a foot low but the water is in good shape.

Now just hoping for decent weather on the 22nd. We have all weather roads all around the ponds near the house and a good dock so even if it is wet it's no problem.

Edit: The picture shows our farmstead with the rock house I was born in (I was not born in a barn, but only a hundred feet from one) grin in the background. That house is now our farm office and the house where we will have lunch is the slate covered house next to it where I live.

Attached Images
20171022_184927.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 09/09/18 10:49 PM.

John

J
J
Good looking pond.

John, be sure and get lots of pics. Events like this are a great way to put a names with faces.

AL

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the pond compliment john k. We get a lot of enjoyment from the pond and many times over what I initially imagined we would.

Thanks for the reminder about pictures Al. I still go back to highflyers pictures for reference once in a while.

John

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Well, I don't think there was a cut off date, so my wife and I are planning on attending. We will drive in from Branson on Saturday morning. It looks like Pittsburg Is a college town and there is weekend activities, so the mentioned Hampton Inn has a two night minimum and the rate is over $200.00 per night. Since we will start back to Illinois after the event we will likely just stay in Joplin MO or Springfield, based on how late the meeting run.

Snrub, let know if this doesn't work for you.

I am sending you a message in an hour or so.

Fred

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
So glad to have you!

No cutoff date at all. We can handle anyone that wants to come.

Wow I did not know the motels were doing that or that there was anything going on in town. I don't follow sports so had no idea. Sheesk! I would stay in Joplin too. I think Bob lusk told me when he stayed there, IIRC, it was 88 dollars.

We are right on 171 hwy between Pittsburg and Joplin. About a 30 minute drive from Joplin depending on where you are staying at. Two or three hours from Branson. When you come across the state line into Kansas on hwy 171 it is about 3.5 miles to our place. When you cross the bridge at cow creek it is one half more mile. South side of road, there are 4 driveways into the farmstead, you can come in any of them but your final target is the last one and the slate covered house. Pond is behind it. I'll tack my Pond Boss cap out on the pole.

If you get to the Conoco truck stop and the junction of 69/400 highways, turn around and come back east a mile. You missed it. grin

Last edited by snrub; 09/09/18 08:53 PM.

John

J
J
We still plan to be there. Day trip, about 2-1/4 hours or so each way. Will bring ultralight crappie rods. Fun.

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Sounds great John. Be good to see you again. The BG are waiting. Ponds are in good shape.

I'm in Nebraska now. Going to Husker Harvest Days for a couple days to a big farm equipment show. Will meet up with Nedoc after work tomorrow to see him and his pond and HSB!

Last edited by snrub; 09/09/18 08:58 PM.

John

J
J
We went to the local farm show in Fayetteville this past Friday.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Snrub: Do you have any idea about how many are attending ?

How many wives ?

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
laugh laugh

No I do not. My best guess is between ten and twenty. I think there will be at least three wives. Unfortunately, even though we cleared both our schedules 9 months ago, my wife had something come up she could not get out of so will not be here. She really hates missing it. But my daughter will be here in her stead, thank goodness, helping out with the food and such.

I have not worried too much about the numbers because we can handle anything from 1 to 100. I think my wife fixed enough pulled pork and pulled chicken to feed an army. What we do not eat she has plans for the leftovers. She loves to cook and has helped with numerous catering events and is pretty darn good at it.

If I recall correctly both of the events I attended in Texas at Highflyers place ranged around 15 to 25 people and I would expect something similar. I think there has been about a dozen indicated attending so far and I hope some more will decide to come in this next week.

By all means, spouses are welcome and encouraged to come. We have an air conditioned sun room overlooking the main pond and activities should they get tired of listening to "pond stuff".

Last edited by snrub; 09/14/18 11:00 PM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What to bring:

Yourself is the most important. Everything else is optional. Anytime after 9am. Lunch at noon and the party stops when the last person leaves or it gets dark (which ever comes first).

Your spouse or significant other is most welcome to come, even if they are not an avid pondmeister themselves. Inside air conditioned viewing if they get tired of hearing about "pond stuff".

If you want to bring something to share to eat at lunch that is fine but do not feel obligated to do so if it is inconvenient. The menu for lunch is pulled pork and pulled chicken, buns and fixins, with a side dish of mac and cheese. Cookies and Texas coco cake for desert. So if you want to bring something, bring something complimentary to those foods. Bottled pop and bottled tea (diet and regular) along with bottled water will be supplied to drink. If you want beer bring your own. All I ask is that you consume responsibly if you do.

In case of rain might want some rubber boots. We have all weather roads around three of the ponds and room to get in out of the rain for lunch so unless it just pours down rain, a little wet will not stop the party. But rubber boots to keep the grass from getting your feet wet around the pond would be good should the weather become inclimate. Should have a better idea of the weather and I will post the forecast a couple days before. Weather forecast Pittsburg, Kansas

Lawn chairs. We have a number of folding chairs so if you forget don't sweat it. But your own canvas folding chairs are probably a lot more comfortable.

Anything you might want to share with other pondmeisters in the way of projects, fishing, etc. I know Highflyer is planning on bringing his low power solar aeration creation and DO meter to demonstrate. I have a small cast net I can embarrass myself demonstrating and anyone can give it a try if they want. So if you have something you think others might be interested in, by all means bring it.

Fishing gear. I've got some home made cane poles you are welcome to use but I suggest you bring your own gear. I would really like people to show me the fish I am not catching. grin Get some good anglers that can show me what is really out there. Weather has moderated and water has cooled some and the water condition looks good. No live bait brought in from outside please (other than worms) but if you want to fish with live bait I have a cast net, minnow bucket and a forage pond full of GSH.

I'm going to ask people to take pictures. If you see a good shot of the gathering or somebody catches a memorable fish or anything interesting take a picture with your phone. At the event I will post my phone number and email address. Snap a picture and send it to me and then I can post some good pictures here on the forum later. I will try and remember to take some but if you all will help, the results will be much better.

All I can think of for now.

Edit: directions to my place link to an earlier post in this thread. Or if you are coming in from Joplin Missouri on 171 hwy this post gives those directions

Last edited by snrub; 09/15/18 08:32 AM.

John

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Wish I could make it. My regrets

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Wish you could too Dave but I understand that it is a long and expensive travel for many. I do not expect a huge crowd. If I have as many as Highflyer gets at his gatherings I will be tickled pink. I mostly just want it so anyone who can and wants to come is welcome and knows about it.

John

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Sounds like a great time. Too far for a home body like me.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Online Content
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I will definitely be there. If we can get a good idea of numbers, I'll bring along some Pond Boss swag. We've got a few hats and other stuff. Plus, if anyone wants to hold court and talk about your ponds, I'll be up for that, too.

Mike Otto is trying to figure out if he can come or not. Will know by Wednesday.

Looking forward to it.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Good to hear from you this morning Bob! You caught me by surprise. I was doing some field work in a big tractor, which I don't do that much of any more.

You ask me if I had everything ready to go and as far as I know I do. I fed the fish this morning and they seemed to be excited about it. Ponds are mowed around and gussied up. My wife is doing the yoemans work with the food preperation and all and she has that lined out. We have some name tags to associate the handles we are used to hearing on the forum with real names.

My wife, bless her heart, tied up a bunch of fishing flies thinking of what George Glazener did for Highflyers event, and has them on cards to give to each attendee.

We just need attendance! I was going to tell everyone you would be here but you beat me to it.

This is your chance, everybody within driving distance, to pick the brain of the Pond Boss himself. Or just good natured harrasment if you prefer.

I'm looking forward to it and I'm kind of an anti-social kind of guy. For normal people it should be lots of fun. grin

Last edited by snrub; 09/17/18 02:11 PM.

John

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I'm afraid Cathy and I will be unable to come now...We are closing on a home Friday, and the long drives both ways would be tough. We'd originally planned to vacation in Branson this coming weekend and that is a bust also now.

K
K
I would really like to be able to be there and meet some other pond people that have the same type of water passions as I do. This weekend is the Hockett memorial race in Wheatland Missouri. Jesse was my cousin and we raced together and I volunteered to help out. The weather forecast looks like rain so who knows what will happen. If anyone is a sprint car fan, this is a don’t miss show. There will be around 80 non-wing Powr-I cars and at least 50 national ASCS wing cars, 3 day show with final on Saturday night. Lucas speedway is the nicest dirt track facility in the country. It is about 2 hours from John’s place. I hope I can make it to the gathering, my pit is only about 50 miles north.
Thanks, John King

I know this does not account for much, but count me in for a "definite MAYBE".

My original plan was to make a weekend out of it (friends, hotel, racetrack, etc) and my work and my wife's has stopped that (I've had to travel to Texas for work and my wife cannot get time off friday). I hope to be back in time to do the one day trip...we'll see.

Fish on!,
Noel
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump