Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver
18,506 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,969
Posts558,042
Members18,507
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,547
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (esshup, Boondoggle, Jason D, Angler8689, Sunil, Sryously, ghdmd, JoshMI, Ibanez540r, Bill Cody, FishinRod), 944 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I hope this does not seem like I am beating a dead horse, and don’t want to aggravate people on this subject, but this topic struck me HARD, when it came up on a much earlier post. From then on I have been doing research extensively on this.
Why have some people who have stocked Blue Catfish seem to have trouble with high mortality rate and “hardiness”, and others seem to have no problems at all. These problems have come up in the way of initial stocking, transporting, catch and release, or just in adverse conditions in the pond. This particular topic is THE single most important topic I am most concerned with.
From my research I have formed one Hypothesis so far. That is there are several genetic strains of fish out there. Two in particular that are well know among fisheries, D&B strain and the Rio Grand strain. The D&B strain is in most Hatcheries in Texas. It was originally grown from a hatchery that is no longer in business. The Hatchery sold Most of it’s Brood fish to all the other hatcheries in the state and even in other South Eastern states. The Rio Grand strain is one that is not heard a lot, and seems only a few hatcheries carry them. I found one hatchery in particular that had both and they said the Ro Grand strain is least desirable. The D&B strain seems to be some what decent, but not Great. I Have heard of one other strain called the Imperial Blue, out of Mississippi, but really could not find any info on them.
Now talking with these people who sell either of these strains, they will say, that these fish are Not, as hardy or robust to adverse situations as the Channel Cats. They say the Blue seems to “stress out” easier than the Channel in adverse situations, low oxygen, transporting, catch and release…what have you…..But they did say they were as hardy or more hardier than the typical bass or bluegill.
Also, I have talked with a third group of suppliers, who produce their “On Home Grown” strain of blues. These fish, I am told, are a mixture of a lot of different strain of fish from different places, and will even have part D&B strain in them. Like I said it is sort of their “Home Grown Recipe”. These people Have quite a different story! The claim their fish is JUST AS hardy if not MORE hardier the Channel Catfish!! It was hard for me to believe at first, but I heard this from a lot of different people who sell blue catfish and I sort of believe them…This seems the stem off several questions an topics on Brood fish, and Brood fish development.
I have heard once that the largest fish in the pond are usually the initial stocking and that the off spring are usually not as big because of the “same gene pool” being used over and over again. Which makes since to me. This might be the case with catfish. I don’t know.

Any way this is a very important topic even if you are just into Trophy Bass, because I think some of these practices carry over into that disciplined as well. I hope when Pond Boss writes there article they really do research in this area, because there seems to be a lot of discrepancies in the area.

Thank you

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I am working on a story about blue catfish. It will include facts about the fish as well as experiences I have had with them. I will call one of the key employees of D&B Fish Farms from early in the 80's (he and I went to college together), and will quiz him about D&B's practices. At the same time, I am looking at university research from around the world. So, hang tight, I'll have something cohesive, hopefully by the end of the weekend.
I do have strong opinions based on solid experience, but I don't want that to taint any "facts" about the fish. As you are learning, different people have different passions, and when it comes to fish, people have strong opinions. Fish, to some extent, are still mysterious creatures. We can't watch them graze, we can't watch them behave. We watch them grow, we watch them feed, we watch them on the end of a hook, or in a fish dealers haul tank. That's all most people know. Hopefully, this story will help solve a bit of the mystery. My plan is to run it in the Nov/Dec issue.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:23 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/29/24 08:00 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 06:59 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:45 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification