Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
larry yaley, Webster, bassjamn, Used Apple Macbo, Skeer
15617 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15617 Members
36 Forums
35959 Topics
489169 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19488
Dave Davidson1 13533
Bill Cody 12446
Who's Online
19 registered (John Fitzgerald, snrub, Heath Lawrence, Mike Whatley, Tom M, LeighAnn, Pat Williamson, Dwight, travism, Johnny98, Bing, Shorty, Theo Gallus, ewest, Flame, Clay N' Pray, Brad346, Rick O, rjackson), 152 Guests and 464 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#494720 - 08/10/18 11:20 AM How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?!
Stevie Ray Pond Offline

Loc: Louisiana
So I bought a new house that has an existing pond at the back of the property. The pond is approx. .05 or 1/25th of an acre, 5.5 feet in the deepest part. So I started feeding some catfish food just to find out what was in there. It looks like about 8 green sunfish 4 inches in length and 1 bass maybe 9 inches in length. So I was excited to get started and purchased 200 hybrid CNBG/GSF. I have noticed Bucky showing up at feeding time and making runs at my hybrids once or twice. He doesn't acknowledge the 2-3" fish but makes runs at the 1" fish. Is Bucky going to eat all my hybrids?!

#494722 - 08/10/18 11:35 AM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]
Quarter Acre Offline

Loc: West Central Missouri
Rule of thumb, I believe, is that a large mouth bass (LMB)can eat fish that are 2/3rds it's length OR is it 1/3rd? Either way, Bucky is big enough to eat your stockers. I'd get him out along with the green sunfish (GSF). The GSF can become an overpopulation problem in most cases.

Check out this very long but very informative read on keeping/growing blue gills...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=189988#Post189988

The linked read is what got me accelerated into my pond hobby AND welcome to the club/forums!

EDIT: I would do some reading on aeration...a pond that small with that many fish could use some extra insurance against DO2 crashes. especially if you continue to feed and they get bigger.

Edited by Quarter Acre (08/10/18 11:39 AM)

#494726 - 08/10/18 12:22 PM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]
Bill Cody Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Northwest Ohio - Malinta OH
Assuming the newly stocked HBG (hybrids) are the 1" length expect the 9" bass to eat on average 3 maybe 4 of the 1" fish per day when water is above 60F.

#494738 - 08/10/18 05:54 PM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]
Bob-O Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Butler In. Very NE corner
Stevie Ray Vaughan...err umm I mean SRP, welcome to the forum. 1/4 acre gives good advice. If Mr Bucky?(sounds like a name better suited to a beaver) eats 4 newly stocked 1" hybrids, you will have hybrids for 50 days. Kinda pricy snacks.
1/4 acre, I believe it's 1/3their own length. However I recall yrs ago on this forum someone posted a pic of a 15" LMB tryin ta swallow a 11' LMB. End of snacking for both.

#494741 - 08/10/18 07:47 PM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]
Stevie Ray Pond Offline

Well, all bad news haha. So I guess I am going to let it play out while trying to get Bucky the buck bass to bite so I can mount him on my wall with a hybrid hanging from his lips. The GSF I will try to catch with a perch trap for now. I may pump it down next summer if all my hybrids are gone and dig it out a little more before re-stocking.

#494742 - 08/10/18 08:58 PM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]
Stevie Ray Pond Offline

It is a little irritating to have to start over because feeding time is one of the highlights of my day.

#494743 - 08/10/18 09:02 PM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]
Pat Williamson Online   content

Loc: Oakwood,Texas
When delt lemons..... make lemonade....let it play out and see what happens. Itís all fun no matter what kind of fish you have. Welcome to the forum

#494758 - 08/11/18 12:34 PM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]
Mike Whatley Online   content

Hey Stevie Ray (way cool name BTW),
I'm a DIY'r when it comes to my fish. Everything has either been self propagated or bucket stocked. Back in early summer I transplanted 3 LMB ranging from 10.5 to 13 inches. At the time, I had loads of 2-3 inch BG and GSF and ranging upwards to a few near 7. Since their introduction, I've seen those smaller class fish steadily be reduced and lots of new fry/fingerlings take their place.

My hopes is that come spring, my LMB will now be able to have a successful spawn, whose newborn (if only 5 or 6 survive) will target those YOY BG and GSF. At which time the 3 original LMB will be removed (If I can catch them) and the process starts all over.

I've learned it's a waiting game and patience is indeed a virtue regarding crowd control on your pond' s inhabitants. Timing and size class of stockers is also very important. If you stock small, you're buying food for your larger fish. If you decide to restock, try to get larger breeders who can avoid being eaten. I haven't bucket stocked anything smaller than 3 inches.

Edited by Mike Whatley (08/11/18 12:38 PM)

#494760 - 08/11/18 12:52 PM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]

On another note....if "Bucky" likes those small HBG, sounds like catching him should be pretty easy!!! Hint, hint.

#494762 - 08/11/18 03:08 PM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]
Stevie Ray Pond Offline

Right now I am hoping that I can feed the little guys enough Optimal to get them up to the size he doesn't like. Take advantage of the hybrid growth rate.

#494767 - 08/11/18 09:41 PM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]

If your initial 200 stocked fish were ranging from 1-3 inches, the the larger fish will have a better chance. Bucky will definitely make life rough on anything smaller than 3 inches. But consider this...the more Bucky eats...the bigger Bucky gets....and so does his food needs.

My largest LMB was maybe 13" when I put her in the pond. She's every bit of 15" now in just a few months. When she opens her mouth full gape, it's easily 4" in diameter. The only reason she's still here is I need her to spawn.

Edited by Mike Whatley (08/11/18 09:56 PM)

#494781 - 08/12/18 10:43 AM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]
Stevie Ray Pond Offline

Well, good news for this mornings feeding. I still have a large amount of Hybrids that showed up to eat and bucky didn't make an appearance. A combination of dropping water line and lots of shallow vegetation might give these guys a fighting chance. I noticed that some of the Hybrid have grown enough to start feeding beside the bigger perch in the pond.

#494782 - 08/12/18 12:15 PM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]

That is good to hear. Having some hiding places will definitely benefit those little ones. You'll find Bucky won't always be a threat. Mine don't show up every day either. I think it depends on how long it been since they've successfully fed.

Now that the smaller fish are taking to feed, they'll grow much faster.

Edited by Mike Whatley (08/12/18 12:17 PM)

#494838 - 08/13/18 08:41 PM Re: How many fingerlings can a single bass eat?! [Re: Stevie Ray Pond]
Stevie Ray Pond Offline

I skipped yesterday evening and this mornings feeding. Showed up to feed and my hybrids really showed up, hungry and waiting for feed. I guess they are really getting in tune with my footsteps. When I walked up to the edge they were in a pile waiting for feed. I am jacked up! Ready to see my little monsters grow and survive the Bucky attacks.

Today's Birthdays
Brenda Greer, kingfish, PeterF
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Mike Whatley
6 minutes 46 seconds ago
Which Bass Type - F-1 Tigers or Native
by ewest
54 minutes 19 seconds ago
Texas Hunter Fish Feeder Upper Motor
by Flame
54 minutes 42 seconds ago