Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Tom M Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Really glad I found this place.

I've got a pond that I inherited when we bought our house about 10 years ago. It was originally dug to provide grade material for the house in 2003 and I don't think it was ever intended to be water tight as it basically fluctuates with the height of the ground water - except in spring when the rains flood everything.

The original owner did stock it with 3 different types of fish but I don't recall what they are other than the BG. He also had a floating fountain using a sump pump but it was dead when we moved in.

Anyway, when full the pond is somewhat triangular shaped and about 8000 square feet according to google earth. As far as I can tell it's about 12-15 feet in depth at the deep end. When full the shallow end is about 6 feet and then drops off rapidly another 3 feet and continues to the deep end.

Haven't done much with it other that get the fountain working to help with aeration. I did install a waterfall and just recently replaced the dead pump for that. It draws from the deep end and probably pushes 2000 GPH. The water from it doesn't smell bad, which is good, and the fry love it(not sure what they are) as they hang out there in the current. Right now it's running about 18 feet over rocks so it should be helping with any DO issues from the deeper water.

I also installed a secondary pump with a venturi to get the entire pond moving as the shallow end was fairly dead as far as water movement. Being it's now summer the pond level is down about 6 feet. I'm thinking of putting in a well specifically to keep the level up during the summer but haven't done so previously due to the cost.

In spring time we get a decent number of ducks & geese and a GBH has it as a regular stop. All 3 can be seen in the picture.

Right now it's down about 6 feet. I added some pond blue earlier today and it appears there's some minimal water movement in the middle based on the water color there. Makes some sense as the water makes a complete clockwise several times per day. Not sure what's causing the lighter color but visibility is only about 8 inches max even after a week of the increased aeration.

I also get a fair amount of FA when the weather initially warms due to all the runoff from the fields as the drain tile runs through our yard. I'm also fighting with pondweed but other than that there's basically no cover when it's this low so I just made some habitat stuff to put in. Not interested in fishing it but there's no harm. Never done anything special in the past and never had any issues with the fish surviving and reproducing. I used river rock in the buckets to hold them down. Couldn't see spending money for the porcupine fish attractor sphere so I 3D printed a couple that work just fine.

Well this is turning into a long intro so I'll leave it that. I do have an aerator system arriving next week so I'm sure I'll be asking questions about that.

Last edited by Tom M; 08/12/18 03:22 PM.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Welcome to another Hoosier! The pond looks very nice when full. At 8000 ft2, there might be an economical fix for the leaking, but in might mean draining and restocking after sealing it up. Not sure how much a well will help if its connected to groundwater by a significant flow?

T
Tom M Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm not looking to spend a ton of money since I'm hoping to retire in 3 years or so and we likely won't be remaining at this location. I've also done some looking at chemicals to seal things but that can also get expensive.

In the late spring, between rains, the water level will drop several inches per day so I was thinking if we could get a well that could produce enough to offset that all would be good.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Moving in a few years certainly changes things. Best of luck with the pond!

T
T
Welcome to the forum Tom!The forum has proven to be a great resource for me and I am sure you will be able to find forum members more than willing to answer your questions.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Welcome and nice homemade structure items. Cleaver idea for an underwater tree. Good job!

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/12/18 07:08 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
Tom M Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks, Bill. I had several rolls of edging going to waste along with some left over drainage pipe and realized I could put it to use.

S
S
Welcome to the forum.

If you are not interested in fishing, you might want to buy a bag of fish food and just feed the fish.

I get about as much enjoyment from my fish hand feeding them as I do fishing. Some can become almost pets as they approach when they hear your footsteps wanting to be fed.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Another welcome from a fellow Hoosier. Very nice post, explains everything with clear description. Good job on the pics and explainations.
A compliment from Cody on your first post is a real feather in your cap. Took me more than several yrs and then I did'nt know if he was serious or being cynical.
Good advice fron all.
My pond is a ground level pond and I fretted about it for yrs. Frettin did'nt help. Eventually figured out ta just accept it and it is doing just fine.
If ya ever venture up to NE In you are welcome to visit.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump