Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
EvanJ, Dbleclk, Chuck B, Muskyhunt, kdumph
15557 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15558 Members
36 Forums
35829 Topics
487605 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24028
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19414
Dave Davidson1 13498
Bill Cody 12416
Who's Online
16 registered (Tom M, Heppy, Quarter Acre, Jim Wetzel, Clay N' Pray, elb157, NEDOC, Brettski, Todd1978, canyoncreek, wbuffetjr, Redonthehead, Bocomo, EvanJ, Theo Gallus, snrub), 266 Guests and 434 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#494728 - 08/10/18 12:29 PM Reducing Nutrient Levels in Small Pond with Plants
Quarter Acre Online   content

Loc: West Central Missouri
I'm not sure how to quantify the amount of plants that would be needed to reduce the nutrient level in my 1/4 acre pond or how to describe the nutrient levels to begin with, so, I thought I'd start this discussion and see if it leads me to a new pond project for next year.

My pond is 1/4 acre, 10 foot at the deepest, with an average depth of about 6 to 7 foot (very steep sides). Secchi transparency started out this year over 36", but as soon as spring was in full swing it dropped to range between 18 and 22 inches ever since. I feel like the pond is running on the edge of a fish kill should an algae bloom get out of control. I feed this years 2 to 6 inch stockers daily about 1/2 pound in the evening and aerate from 9pm to 9am. The recent water temps are pretty consistent being 78 deg F at the bottom, 82 at 18" down and 86 at the top 6 inches.

Side note: The pond gets flushed out a few times during the rainy seasons so much so that the 15" drain pipe can get submerged. I am thinking that chemical or mineral treatment could be a waste of money especially during fall, winter, and spring.

I have thought about using water hyacinth and floating pvc containment corrals to help with nutrient levels, but certainly cannot afford the time to manage if a large portion of the pond would be consumed with floating plants.

My goal is to determine if the nutrient levels need babysitting and, if so, how many and what type plants wound be best suited. Thanks for reading through my windy post!

#494732 - 08/10/18 02:28 PM Re: Reducing Nutrient Levels in Small Pond with Plants [Re: Quarter Acre]
Mike Whatley Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Hey Quarter,
I've been considering the hyacinth corral project myself. Our ponds are very similar, yours being slightly bigger. Sounds like they're built exactly the same tho. I started out the spring with around 18" visibility, but going into summer it increased to over 4 feet for several weeks of very dry weather. Now that we've gotten back to more consistent rains, the visibilty has come back to around 18-24 inches. I'll be installing aeration in the coming weeks and am interested to see how that affects blume and temps. I've had as high as 99 degree surface water this summer. Luckily, with a small deep hole, my mutts have been able to get below the heat.

I'm not sure how all this pertains to nutrients as I'm still very novice to pond life. My interest in the hyacinth was to provide shade and cooler water, as well as more hiding places for forage. I'd really like to be able to introduce some grass shrimp, but there's no place for them to hide currently.

I would think, with hyacinth being as prolific as it is, it would consume a lot of excess nutrients, maybe too much if not controlled, and your visibility would improve. Control is definitely the key tho. Left to it's own devices, your nutrient levels may plummet to the point of endangering your phytoplankton as well as any other wanted vegetation.

My less than $.02!!!!

Edited by Mike Whatley (08/10/18 02:30 PM)

#494935 - 08/16/18 04:55 PM Re: Reducing Nutrient Levels in Small Pond with Plants [Re: Mike Whatley]

Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
I'll be installing aeration in the coming weeks and am interested to see how that affects blume and temps. I've had as high as 99 degree surface water this summer.

I bit of a highjack to my own thread (I guess I can do that)...I can't say what adding the aeration to my pond has done to the blooms as my old cattle pond is so freshly renovated that blooms have been heavy, consistent, and, at times, scary even after the diffusers went in. The water clarity (18-24")has been very consistent since adding aeration with the color varying every few days. But I can tell you that before the aeration system was added I had temperatures at the bottom in the lower 70's and surface temps in the mid/lower 90s. My pond has a lot of shade which helps temps, but is bad for wind action. After adding air, the bottom has risen into the mid to upper 70's, but the surface stays in the mid to lower 80's.

It makes since that if you raise the bottom temps by circulating the water, the upper temps will fall...until you over circulate and super heat the whole pond. I just run the air from 9pm to 9am right now.

I'll check my records (I take temps at the surface, 18" down and at the bottom by the end of the dock,7 feet down about every other day) and may post some "before/after air" readings.

Besides sideswiping my thread, I'm still interested in hearing from those hyacinth and/or water lettuce lovers.

#494939 - 08/16/18 10:00 PM Re: Reducing Nutrient Levels in Small Pond with Plants [Re: Quarter Acre]
Mike Whatley Offline

Loc: Louisiana
Interestin info QA.

I've had my aeration in for 3 days now. Still breaking the pond in. Ran it for 4 hrs earlier, and have the timer set to run for 6 hours later tonight. I have noticed the water clarity has reduced a bit, which is probably from bottom silt. I'll need to check my surface temp when I get home tonorrow. It has been lingering in the mid 90s. It'll be interesting to see if its dropped any after a day of summer heat.

#494941 - 08/16/18 11:33 PM Re: Reducing Nutrient Levels in Small Pond with Plants [Re: Mike Whatley]
anthropic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Last time I checked surface temp during hot afternoon it was 87. Hotter than fish like, but less than you are "blessed" with down in southern LA.

Hopefully we'll get some cooler weather soon. Up here we're still in a drought...

#494959 - 08/17/18 10:55 AM Re: Reducing Nutrient Levels in Small Pond with Plants [Re: Quarter Acre]

We got 1-1/4" of rain last night, pond is now 11" low instead of 12". I look forward to checking the temps this evening to see the effects (if any) and I'll try to remember to post the before/after aeration temp records.

#495000 - 08/18/18 02:08 PM Re: Reducing Nutrient Levels in Small Pond with Plants [Re: Quarter Acre]

I checked the temps last night and very little noticeable temp change due to the rain. The bottom was one degree cooler while the surface and 18" down were two degrees warmer. I can't conclude anything from that. At any rate, I have started a separate thread to document and discuss the before/after temp associated with my aeration start-up this summer. It's located here...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=494996#Post494996

I am still hoping to here from some hyacinth lovers...

Today's Birthdays
dchance, John Wann, jollyroger, Joshua Flowers, myrtle rosamore, Serrecko
Recent Posts
Building a garage-apartment with a pond view
by Brettski
22 minutes 46 seconds ago
Hello for NW Ohio
by Quarter Acre
30 minutes 9 seconds ago
Before & After Aeration Start-Up Observations-LONG
by wbuffetjr
45 minutes 35 seconds ago
BG Fish tacos
by snrub
Today at 10:28 AM
Big Thanks to PB-the Proof is in the Pond
by Quarter Acre
Today at 10:22 AM
Chronicles of stocking Hybrid Striped Bass......
by snrub
Today at 10:16 AM
Enjoyed my visit to Keo Fish Farm
by NEDOC
Today at 08:29 AM
School me on crawfish
by tim k
Today at 07:49 AM
Is this a YOY Tilapia?
by Clay N' Pray
Today at 07:40 AM
red and green surface algae