Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,783
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, catscratch, 4CornersPuddle, DON, FishinRod, BackyardTrout), 685 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#494559 08/05/18 09:45 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hi all Just about to start construction on a 3 acre pond , will be 15 ft deep at the dike, It will be spring fed, with about 80 acres runoff , the springs them self do not flow enough volume to fill a 3 acre pond ,but easily fill the .5 acre pond they currently flow into , the .5 acre pond consistently has water flowing out of the overflow pipe. I am just curious as to if there is a guideline on if aeration is needed on the new bigger pond , depending on pond depth, water quality, any other factors?
Thanks

C
C
*not an expert

That said, several things come to mind.
1. What type of fish and at what density do you plan to stock?

2. Spring water typically has low dissolved oxygen unless exposed to air/agitated.

3.do lakes freeze over in your area?
If so, aeration will keep open water.

Half acre 30 year old farm pond, Mebane NC. Aeration & feeder.
LMB, CC, SC, BG, HBC, two no account welfare carp and nine seasonal Tilapia that all the other fish are terrified of.

I'm just a beginner too, but in my opinion...There are very few ponds that "need" aeration, but all ponds can benefit from it. ClayNpray has given some questions that will certainly help the conversation along.

The biggest benefits to aerations IMO are...

1.) to increase the amount of dissolved O2 in the pond so that you can stock/maintain higher numbers of fish.

2.) increase the aerobic decomposition at the bottom of the pond to reduce the aging process of the pond (the silting in of the nasty anaerobic sludge).

3.) to reduce the chance of a temperature shock or turn over due to a heavy cold summer rain event. This is more important with excessive watershed ponds like mine.

4.) improves the surface quality especially in small ponds.

Some additional questions.

1.) will your new pond get much wind action? Ponds with less wind will have less air to water interface, hence less do2.

2.) is 80 acres of watershed adequate for a 3 acre pond in your area? It sounds excessive as far as the rule of thumb of 10 to 1. My pond has excessive watershed and this helped me make the decision to aerate because a heavy cold rain could turn my pond over in a heartbeat. My thoughts are that if I can keep the water as cool and consistent from top to bottom using aeration, then the effects of a cold rain would be minimal. Not to mention, my pond will have O2 dissolved throughout the water column.

3.) Possibly the biggest question...does your desire for the pond hobby back up the money that will need to be spent and the time that needs to be invested for aeration? Neither the money or the time are that big of a deal, but it can be a deal breaker when you consider aeration for a 3 acre pond can cost several thousand dollars.

Anyhow, some stuff to think about.

Fish on!,
Noel
P
OP Offline
P
The watershed definitely could be excessive in heavy rain events
all of the watershed is overgrown pasture, No longer a active pasture,
and 10 year program CRP. My pond Builder has some ideas for an extra overflow big pipe for a extreme event, I could be off on that 80 acre quick estimate I did myself on a topo contour map. As for aeration I already have a windmill in service on the small pond up stream, It has never failed to stay open all winter except once for 1 week last year, the pond is about 10 years old and In NE IA its common for it to stay below 0 for 2-3 weeks at a time. The springs are going to be rerouted by pipe around that pond and into the new one, turning that pond into a silt pond, I planned on moving the windmill to the new pond. If needed I have the expenses budgeted for additional aeration
Thanks again!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:23 PM
Pond needs help!