Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,800
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
13 members (FishinRod, Donatello, DrewSh, shores41, Steve Clubb, Justin W, Joe7328, catscratch, Knobber, John Folchetti, Snipe, Sunil, FireIsHot), 979 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49435 08/24/04 09:40 AM
L
Lance Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Looking for a little input. I have a 3acr lake that I have to drain do to a leak somewhere. I have my contracter coming back to fix the problem. My question is, Is there a way to place my fish in somesort of plastic or rubber tank temporarily (1-2weeks)? I have apprx 100 catfish 1-2 pound range and some apprx 1-2 pound bass that I'm trying to save. I called my local feed store and they have a 700 gallon tank that I was looking at. I also know I would need an aerator. Any input would be great. My father always told me learn from your experiences son. Let me tell you this is one painful lesson. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lance

Lance L.
#49436 08/24/04 11:06 AM
N
N
You might look into going to Wal-Mart and spending about 300 dollars on a couple of above ground pools. They hold way more than 700 gallons, and come with a filter.

I would suggest setting them up early and filling for a while to allow any chemicals in the liners to leach into your water, then draining and replacing the water before actually putting in fish. To minimize your fish's exposure to those chemicals.

I know that I have seen Kid-Fish using that type of ponds for their events in which they allow kids to fish for catfish at carnivals and such.

Yes, you would need a good aerator. Might even consider (if you use my idea) not pumping the water from the filter back into the side of the pool, under the waters surface. But building a sprayer type device (PVC with holes drilled in it) that mounts above the water to spray the return water onto the surface of your pool for aeration.

Due to previous experience with brim, I am guessing that the fish will dirty your water quickly upon being introduced to the pools. You would need a vacuum with which to clean the bottom of the pond. They sell these to attach to the filter. Im my experience with brim, they will crap a lot, and dirty the water. But after a couple of hours, once they settle down; this slows way down. When keeping brim in tanks, we have to clean the water every hour for the first two or three hours, then about once a day after that. But I am talking about keeping 100 brim in a large sized ice chest. A lot of fish per gallon of water. Your situation would not be that radical .

Maybe some others will chime in with criticisms of this idea. I have never tried this. It is just an idea. So listen to the more experienced.

Nick Smith
#49437 08/24/04 11:13 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Lance, I've been in that boat before! 700 gallon tank is probably more than adequate if you have access to a garden hose and well water. You can go to Home Depot and buy what's commonly referred to as a "sweeper nozzle". If you attach this to a hose it will deliver about 3.5 gpm extremely high pressure water. If the water is sprayed into the tank at the interface of the water and side of tank it will oxygenate your water extremely well. You will need to run continuously to keep that many fish alive but it will work and will only cost you three dollars for equipment and the cost of electricity for bringing the water up. The cooler well water will also decrease the fish's metabolism and oxygen needs. Believe it or not, the fish will actually feed in a couple of days. Check the water every day or two for algae buildup and bucket out any floating organic debris.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#49438 08/24/04 11:45 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm a little confused. You want to hold the fish for 1 or 2 weeks? that may be enough time to fix the leak but do you get rains that regularly to fill the lake back up?
Another option. Could you drain the lake down pretty far and have the contractor who is already out there dig a hole opposite the dam and drain the last of the water and fish into it. A friend did that here once but in Texas we have a lot of clay so there wasn't much risk of breaking through and leaking.
If you keep the fish in a holding tank, do like Nick said and change the water regulary. If it is left in the sun it will turn green pretty fast and if you can shade it (best bet) the water will turn yellowish. In both cases you need to change some of the water. clean oxygenated water and dipping out any dead fish fast is the key.

#49439 08/24/04 01:53 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
...by the way, Lance, I'm not recommending feeding the fish in the tank. I'm just saying they will feed if given the opportunity. Better to not introduce any extra organic matter by feeding them. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have an extra tank to place any live fish that may appear to have injuries or fungus. If you use a seine to collect your fish they will sustain small injuries that often become fungal. These fish, or any mortalities, should be quickly separated from your main tank.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
#49440 08/24/04 07:25 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I recommend you rethink this "saving the fish" plan; make sure this is what you want to do.
1. The cost - benefit analysis to save these fish may not be worthwile especially if you lose them or most of them in the end or the stress of saving then causes them to die when restocked into your pond.

2. The fish are youngsters and 200 new fish (100cats, 100bass) could be regrown to this size quickly in a year to two.

3. Consider what 100 bass will need to eat to stay healthy over this next winter after they are restocked. 100 bass at a minimum should have one pound each of forage fish to faten up before dealing with winter conditions. Winter is the hardest season on fish. And your fish will have just gone through a real stressful situation. So stressful many may not make it to restocking.

4. Consider eating / cleaning most of the fish. Or see if Jones Fish Hatchery will come and seine them for resale, pay you for the fish, or trade for products and or new fish when pond refills.

5. Starting over with all new forage and sport fish when the pond is repaired might be a less stressful situation for you and the fish. $300+ dollars (holding tank cost) will buy a lot of new fish for restocking. Plus you may want to restock the pond with pellet trained bass (6" -10") which could be regrown to abt 2 lbs in around one year or 18 months in your location. Contact Cecil Baird or read about this technique on this forum site.

Whatever you dercide to do, let us know how it all worked out.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#49441 08/24/04 08:30 PM
K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
not worth the effort. like Bill said , see if somebody wants to buy whats in there or give them away. i would also make sure the work to fix the leak worked , before putting anything in. stock in the spring with a bunch of 6" normal bluegills and some minnows. let them have some fun , then stock some small bass and cats in 2 springs. patience is the key. \:\)

i only wanted to have some fun
#49442 08/26/04 02:20 AM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Eat the fish.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe