Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bobbss, anthropic, Fishingadventure), 519 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
I have had my aerator going all winter at 7' depth. I see quite a few dead BG and a lot of BG &LMB w/ fungus spots. I think next winter I'm going to pull into maybe 3-4' of water to keep deeper water from cooling to much. I just hope the fungus disappears cause I've got some nice 10+" BG now. I shut it off yesterday since weather is warming up. I don't know if that was right thing to do.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Farmer I would say that's a bit to deep to be running during the winter. The fish are somewhat stressed out already and now you have maybe a super cooling event going on. Hope they are ok too!

Good Luck,

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Max depth (at least from what I've observed) should be no deeper than 1/4 to 1/3 the total pond depth.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Yep. Works great to keep his dock and pond barge ice free all winter long. Very reliable too. After a bit of set up woes, it has worked many amiss free winters.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
H
H
Aeration help to control algal blooms, weed growth in pond and introduce oxygen in pond water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Henry, do you have any data to show how aeration controls algae blooms?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
mpc Offline
M
I have a 2 surface acre pond that's never been aerated before other than a fountain. I've got muck, weeds, algae, etc. I'm looking to hear from people/customers who've put aerators in existing ponds that may have been suffering from ??? and their results.

Just first hand results from existing pond owners. Someone who's had a aerator system in their pond now for a few years would be welcome with open arms!

Edited by Timinator (09/07/13 06:21 PM)

I read your Q. and all the reply's which were good. For my two cents and IMHO as a novice PB'er with aeration,why I put one in. Of course there a re a lot of Q&A's on this subject and after looking at you pictures one might say WHY? Great looking pond. The reason I did install a diffuser aeration system was fish load per acre 1#, #2 to help reduce muck and smell and just because it happens the reduction in or elimination of pond stratification and the horrors of turnover that can, but does not always, cause a fish kill.
The stratification issue may not be as big a problem in Ohio but it is in the south. Has it done it's job for the goals I have set, yes. since you posted this q in 2013 you may have already made up your mind, but if you have interest still you could contact Sue and she would most likely have documented success with the muck issue you speak of and you would probably need significant surface aeration to affect algae and weeds are a different story on top of that IMHO. IN short I do not think Diffuser aeration nor surface aeration is a end all to your stated issues. But aeration can help in some of your stated issues.
In short my aeration system did help in one of the issues you stated and others you may not be concerned with. It is really basically dissolved oxygen, where it is and where you want it in your BOW. Good luck and let us know what you decide, why and the results, if you get the time.

Last edited by mpc; 03/13/14 09:46 AM. Reason: added statment

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Diffused air mixing helps slow the eutrophication process of the pond and improves overall average water quality throughout the year.

Here are my comments from another thread that is very similar to your topic.

To all. Don't fall into the mental trap of thinking an aerator will solve overabundant algae issues. Firstly there are thousands of species of algae. Many with specific growth requirements that allows them to live in a wide variety of surface waters just about everywhere from your rain gutter, to snow banks & under ice, to thermal hot water springs of Yellowstone National Park.

Algae grows because there are excess nutrients that are not being consumed by some form of other plant. Thus the 'ever present everywhere' algae form massive growth parties 'slurping up' those available dissolved nutrients. 'Party hardy type guys'. I still continually look for scientific literature that tested and proves aeration reduces nutrients.

Don't get my meaning wrong. I love pond aerators and their ability to mix the entire water column and the many benefits that provides overall better water quality. Once you have a proper designed aerator system and see its benefits, you will not return it to the store for a refund. This activity overall improves water quality within the pond ecosystem. If aeration significantly reduced algae growth, I would have 20 aerators per acre in my pond.
Source was from this thread:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=27398&Number=367975#Post367975

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/13/14 10:06 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
What I have been told and read (but not a scientific paper)is a bottom diffuser will mix the water providing oxygen throughout the pond which results in more aerobic bacteria throughout. The bacteria helps by using up nutrients, similar to how plants do but on a microscopic level. Less nutrients = less food for the algae. If you have watershed always flowing directly into your pond washing in more nutrients then you might not see as much benefit. A berm or plant buffer around the pond can help reduce incoming nutrients.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Only some bacteria species use nutrients. Many or most of the bacteria cause, produce, or release nutrients (decomposers) from larger chemical compounds such as proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Basically all plants consume the basic or elemental nutrients and probably most of the available nutrients esp plants of phytoplankton and attached algae communities. When the pond is weedy then these plants consume most of the nutrients.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/14/14 08:52 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
M
My pond is about 1 acre x 13 feet deep. I want to aerate it but am almost a mile from electric. Does anyone have a wind mill aerator or solar aerator? If so, how do they work?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Mrbill,

I have a 1 acre pond as well and if I had to choose which of these 2 options to use I would try the solar first. Neither are 100 percent reliable. I don't know much about solar but I do know that you don't have to have direct sunlight at least for it to work for you. Where as if you don't have any wind your in big trouble!! Here is a post from AP about solar air. Maybe it will help you.

"As far as solar aeration your probably gonna need some deep cycle batteries, power inverter, and 2 or 3 solar units like these to power your air pump especially if you want to aerate at night to keep D.O. up and help cool the pond in the summer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-90599.html

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
T
OP Offline
T
Well, here's my take after aerating the pond.....then treating the pond.

Aeration is.....ok.

Treatment is the BOMB!

I put in one quart of Sonar (full strength stuff mixed with water then sprayed around the pond with a 20 gallon cart sprayer). My pond has been clean of weeds now for two years. I had one algae bloom, which I treated with very little copper sulfate and, with the aerator going, it killed all of it overnight. I only treated a small area of the pond too. But, for the problematic Asian Millfoil I had growing and some other stuff as well as too damn many lily pads, it's all gone and stayed gone.

I can't tell you how many dozens of hours the Sonar saved me. Yea, it's expensive as hell, but it works miracles and I'd probably pay it if it was twice as much. That's how well it works.

D
D
Originally Posted By: snrub
What did it help?

Juvenal fish recreation. Probably not an important criteria or goal for most pondmeisters.

I only had aeration on for about 3 weeks last fall as I put a temporary diffuser in and temporary pump setup to see what would happen.

When I would boat out to the column of bubbles and water that were coming up from the bottom, there would be a fountain of fish mixed in with the bubbles. Small 2" long BG and FHM bubbling up with the bubbles and water. I don't know what level they were hopping on for the ride, but it appeared they would enter the column and ride it up to the top. There the water would spit them out and most would disappear deeper or a few would leisurely mosey over to the float I had attached to the diffuser and rest under it for a short time.

It reminded me of kids riding on a carnival ride. A continuous flow of small fish coming up from the depths to the top. I visualized them hopping on for the ride over and over, but do not know that for sure. As I paddled too close they would stop for a short while, but once my boat stabilized against the anchor rope (flow from the aeration constantly pushed the boat away from the water column) in a few seconds they would be there again, riding the carnival ride.

Was quite a site to watch. Something I had not expected to see. Submerged cedar tree cover was nearby.

LMB and CC fingerlings had just recently been introduced so no large predators. 6" BG biggest thing in pond at that time.

We have seen something similar but I think the minnows are at the surface schooling at the edge of the air letting the current run the plankton right into their mouths.

I don't think we would have as many young minnows or young crayfish if it was not for the aeration in out pond. Our pond has had it from new so I can't say it helps with muck.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
J
J
We had a watermeal invasion that would cover the pond during low water throughput. We installed an aerator and 4 years later the watermeal is still present but not a problem. I would like to say that it helped wit the algae but I can't be certain. We generally have one major spring bloom that we mechanically remove(or a storm removes) and then its not bad the rest of the year. The pond is old as it was a irrigation pond for the fields that now contain our development. It is 1/2 acre and bean shaped but around 10 ft deep throughout except by the inflow side and around the edges.

T
OP Offline
T
Dwight, is your circulator one that blasts across the surface, or one that sits just under the surface and bubbles up over and round the ring float?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
Pond needs help!