Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
Originally Posted By: tmilhon

It's not covering any significant portion of the pond yet. Just wondering if it was helping or hurting.

If duckweed is not controlled, it will cover the entire pond by summer's end. I would go around in a small boat and dip it out with a pool skimmer net.

T
tmilhon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
Originally Posted By: tmilhon

It's not covering any significant portion of the pond yet. Just wondering if it was helping or hurting.

If duckweed is not controlled, it will cover the entire pond by summer's end. I would go around in a small boat and dip it out with a pool skimmer net.

Will do. In spending a lot of time out there right now anyway.

T
tmilhon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Ok. Went with a Gast 1023 and a Matala 4x9" diffuser. I am going with 5/8" sinking hose. My understanding is the Matala base can actually be separated into 2 units if I decide I want to later.

T
tmilhon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I do have a question, how do you guys retrieve your diffusers? Can you just pull them up by the hose?

C
C
I prefer that my hose stays buried as much as possible. I tied rope to the four corners of my 'base' and brought them to a central knot. Then tied a pop bottle above that with its height designed to be just under the surface of 'average depth' so that it isn't visible. Some have purposely tied a duck decoy or other asthetically approved item that floats to mark the spot of the diffuser all the time.

Even if I have high water and can't see the float, I take a landscaper rake with me to the area where I think it is and can usually snag the rope at the knot and pull it straight up. I hang on to the rope over the side of the rowboat, clean the diffusers and let it go back down. The trick is getting it to set back down upright. I added a big plastic tote under my diffuser to try to get it off the bottom (less silt plume) and to try to keep it upright when I release it but I still often release and wonder if it is setting upright.

the other trick is to turn it on, then snag the rope in the plume. It seems easier to clean the diffuser membranes when they are blowing air but I feel like I have to be very careful (use gentle finger pressure only and no brushes)as to not make the tiny holes bigger or scratch the membrane when under pressure.

Last edited by canyoncreek; 06/27/18 03:09 PM.
S
S
You need to see this post of mine.

Modification of Matala dual diffuser base

Here is some additional information on the diffusers and my continuing effort for a aeration system. I also am now using a Gast 1023 and Matala diffusers with two small ponds still using a Pondmaster AP100

First installation of Matala diffuser and initial experimentation

Home made pump housing

Gast 1023 pump upgrade

Last edited by snrub; 06/27/18 03:31 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
T
tmilhon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks to all for the replies. I appreciate the ideas.

S
S
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
I prefer that my hose stays buried as much as possible. I tied rope to the four corners of my 'base' and brought them to a central knot. Then tied a pop bottle above that with its height designed to be just under the surface of 'average depth' so that it isn't visible. Some have purposely tied a duck decoy or other asthetically approved item that floats to mark the spot of the diffuser all the time.

Even if I have high water and can't see the float, I take a landscaper rake with me to the area where I think it is and can usually snag the rope at the knot and pull it straight up. I hang on to the rope over the side of the rowboat, clean the diffusers and let it go back down. The trick is getting it to set back down upright. I added a big plastic tote under my diffuser to try to get it off the bottom (less silt plume) and to try to keep it upright when I release it but I still often release and wonder if it is setting upright.

the other trick is to turn it on, then snag the rope in the plume. It seems easier to clean the diffuser membranes when they are blowing air but I feel like I have to be very careful (use gentle finger pressure only and no brushes)as to not make the tiny holes bigger or scratch the membrane when under pressure.

I have pulled mine up to clean them and even took them out one winter (plugged the end of the air line, attached weight and a line with buoy so I could find it next spring).

But the method I like best is to snorkel out with mask fins and snorkel to the bubble plume, dive down while holding my breath, and lightly scrub the surface with the cotton gloves I am wearing. Usually have to grab on to the diffuser to keep from floating to the surface. Sometimes takes two or three times because I can't hold my breath long enough to get it done in one dive. Have done it with SCUBA gear but that is overkill for a quick job.

Cleaning diffusers

Last edited by snrub; 06/27/18 04:33 PM.

John

T
tmilhon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Parts are starting to show up. I have my airline, and my diffuser will show up tomorrow. I had the utilities located so I know I wont hit anything with my trench. My pump should show up early next week.

T
tmilhon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well, I have completed aeration system Mk1. Gast 1023, 40' of 3/4 PEX, 125' of 5/8 sinkng airline, Matala 4 x 9" diffuser. I ran it for about 10 minutes. It smells like sulfur. I think I am going to run it in the mornings during start up procedures. I feel like I am probably going to want to split the diffuser base and have two 2 x 9" bases, but I am going to run this for a while and see how it goes. What are everyone's favorite start up procedures? Our pond is 20+ years old and heavily stratified right now. With the dry weather, it's about 8 ft deep, 1.5ac.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Your 1023 is providing more than enough air volume to the 4 Matala diffusers. Double check their maximum air volume rating. Depending the size and shape of your pond the 1023 could adequately operate another 3-4 diffusers.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/04/18 09:12 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
tmilhon Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Right. The Matala 9" disks need between 1.4 and 4.2 cfm. The 1023 puts out 10cfm at 0 psi. Accounting for depth (8ft), air line, and the pressure of the diffuser it self, I should be a little above 5 psi. Which, if I remember correctly, puts my air production down between 8 and 9 cfm. 9/4=2.25 cfm. I need a pressure gauge so can keep an eye on things, but even at 10 cfm, I am still safe on Max airflow right? Or am I doing this wrong?

S
S
You should be fine. Even three of the 9" diffusers would handle the output of the pump.

I am running 6 Matala 9" diffusers (three doubles) at around 9'. I will shut two lines off momentarily (for 3 or 4 seconds) to flex each double out to clean them once a month or so. One double diffuser would "almost" (8.4 cfm would be the max for 2 diffusers) handle the output from the 1023 but it would over flex the membrane and likely damage it if done continuously. So I just do it for a few seconds while watching the pressure gauge rise to balloon the membrane out to maximum flow temporarily. This should help clean off the junk that gets built up over time.

I get very good boils from six diffusers. You should get really good water boils from 4.

John

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump