Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,057
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch), 633 guests, and 184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I just learned it's time to do a rebuild on the Tieck Aire 1/2 hp double head compressor. So, just how hard or time consuming is it? Anyone here have experience? I have two that run in tandem for the 6 diffuser Kasco system. Can a dummy like me actually rebuild? I have found out that when I attempt such things, I usually have to forward the unit, along with parts or missing parts to the people that know what they are doing and that usually raises the price, where if I just shipped it out in the first place it would already be back repaired. Where if I do it , it might not ever be repaired. Do they make a book or youtube a rebuild for dummies? Thoughts

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Bump here guys. I saw where sparkplug rebuilt and describes with pics a Thomas compressor he rebuilt. He is mechanically minded, me not so much. Maybe I should purchase a new compressor to replace one of the two while in the process of me rebuilding one at a time, just in case I can't do the rebuild myself. Thoughts?

Tracy
J
Online Content
J
I think it depends on your comfort level. If it's affordable from your perspective, I would probably buy an extra and be covered.

J
J
Check YouTube. I frequently rebuild my own rocking piston pump and got good video tutorials on-line. Piece of cake now!

Buckeyedude
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
thanks guys. I did try looking up rebuild on utube but could not find it. Maybe because I used the pump brand name. I will retry looking for double head compressor rebuild.

Tracy
F
F
Reading this info I have a question, How often does a pump need to be rebuilt? Is this a scheduled thing for the pump? Never even thought about this issue.

half-acre pond, LMB, HBG, BG, GSH and CC ....goal is to
have fun fishing. And I subscribe!
C
C
Funky,
Probably depends on the pump technology, which moving parts and how many, and how many hours it is being used. I have a 1/4hp brookwood sold by Vertex and I'm not sure if you saw this post (I'll repost here) but they figured my late spring through early fall use over 5 years (less than 12 hours per day) would be time to do a rebuild. They also indicate a design flaw which is corrected in this rebuild kit. I'm sure this design flaw and rebuild issue is specific to my 1/4" compressor.

I'm going to take mine apart this winter and see if it really needs it. At over $100 per rebuild I surely wouldn't want to do this frequently.

CC

---------------
quote...
I noticed my aerator seems to run a little more loudly lately and the boil seems to be not as good as before. I have done the necessary cleaning and I store it inside in the winter, I don't run much in spring and fall and mostly nights (12 hrs or less) once weather is hot during the day.

I contacted Vertex where I bought it to see what could be up. They said check PSI, they recommend 4PSI on my single cylinder 1/4hp compressor. I had 4PSI.

They then looked up when I bought it (May 2013) and then the helpful technician told me this:

"Now with the system being that old and the fact that you let it sit during the winter and off at night. The Piston cup being Teflon coated and the sleeve being aluminum; after running and getting hot then cooling and sitting. The cup tends to stick to the sleeve and it takes a tiny piece each time it starts up. Over time it wears down and sticks to the sleeve. And the piston head starts to rub against the sleeve and that would create a louder sound and less air (blowby). The new replacement maintenance kits and replacement compressor are now coming with Teflon coated cups and sleeves to stop that sticking. That does sound like that is going to be the issue at hand."

He is quoting an upgrade kit for me and will give me instructions on how to do this myself. I also noted the rubber boot on my big capacitor is shredding/tearing and coming off. I should get one of those too.

I should have 'low hours' compared to those who run their compressors 24/7. Should I just plan to do the rebuild every 5 years?

Since it still gives 4PSI and some boil I may or may not tear into it this winter unless others tell me that I should. I may just see how much louder it gets?

Anyone do this and note a big change in boil performance or reduction in compressor noise?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB