Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
2 members (teehjaeh57, Reno Guerra), 856 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#493018 06/30/18 07:12 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Just want to confirm ID as GSF.

Thanks.

Attached Images
20180630_133235.jpg

Half acre 30 year old farm pond, Mebane NC. Aeration & feeder.
LMB, CC, SC, BG, HBC, two no account welfare carp and nine seasonal Tilapia that all the other fish are terrified of.

No sir....BG. By the looks of the earlobe, it's a male.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 06/30/18 07:28 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
C
OP Offline
C
I pulled these pics off the net.
To my untrained novice eye it sure looks like a GSF.
What is the giveaway that shows bluegill?

Attached Images
90731.jpg 3936.jpg

LMB, CC, SC, BG, HBC, two no account welfare carp and nine seasonal Tilapia that all the other fish are terrified of.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Clay - Mike is mostly correct. The 1st pictured fish is a BG, but it is very likely a female because it does not have black spot scales on the nape behind the head that often extend down onto the gill cover. Mature male BG almost always have the nape spots especially around spawning time. See all BG pics even CNBG in the link.
The 'ear' lobe (opercule) on the st pictured fish is roundish as in femaleBG (see link) compared to more a 'boxy' shaped ear lobe of the typical male BG. See both adult male and female side by side from any one pond and the gill flap shape becomes apparent once you know what shape to look for. One other important feature of the BG and GSF ear lobe. The GSF and HBG ear lobe will ALWAYS have a lighter colored thin margin sometimes light orange/yellow-redish on the back of the ear lobe. Sometimes you have to lift the ear lobe to best see the light color margin especially on smaller individuals. Back Ear Lobe Margin of the pure strain BG will always be pure black with no margin. Any lighter ear lobe margin indicates some other specie or hybrid of sunfish.

2nd pictured fish is likely a hybrid, immature, and not the typical GSF, but it is has lots of GSF genetics due to the color of the ear lobe / flap. I am not sure what John Lyons called that fish but IMO it is not your typical GSF.

All pure strain GSF on the lower side of the cheek below the eye will have emerald streaks often two sometimes 3 streaks or one that branches into a Y. Look for the streaks on good pictures of GSF on this PBforum link and other Google GSF pics.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92482#Post92482

Also pay attention to the size of the mouth esp the length of the upper jaw and how far it extends backward toward the eye. GSF jaw mouth extends to or almost to the front of the eye. BG jaw is noticeably shorter. Do some comparing of good pics of BG/GSF. Again see pics in the link. There are several other noticeable physical characteristics that separate BG-GSF, but the two I mentioned are easiest ones to notice.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/30/18 08:27 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Thanks for correcting my mistake Bill. I was looking at the length of the opercule, not so much the shape of it. I've always considered the opercule on a female to be shorter and more rounded, whereas the one on Clay's pic is more elongated. But as I look at it again I see the tip is more rounded than squared off like a male would be.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
For numerous good pictures of GSF and some HBG look at pics in this lengthy, very good thread started by forum member 'snrub' about green sunfish.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=397661&page=1

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/30/18 08:30 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Clay, you'll find the BG body to be, in laymans terms, more coin shaped or broader across the side than GSF, which have a more elongated body and longer tail. And as Bill pointed out, the mouth is more Bass like. If you're looking at the two side by side in the water, the GSF nose is more blunt or broad, where the BG is more pointed, each due to the gape each have. Other than distinct color variations, IMO the GSF is built like a Warmouth, which is more brown, and devoid of all those brilliant green stripes on the gill plate.

C
OP Offline
C
This is one instance where I'm happy to be wrong! I was studying on how to remove as many of the green sunfish as possible.
Traps, hook and line, cast net etc.

I will continue to catch and keep larger panfish each week throughout the summer.
They are already getting smart about the hook!

I'm still looking for green sunfish but now have a much better idea of the distinguishing features.

Last edited by Clay N' Pray; 07/01/18 06:45 AM.

S
S
If I want to catch a GSF I use a small hook and bait on a 1/64 or 1/32 oz jig head and bounce it along in about a foot deep water or less right along the shore line. Or around the posts of my dock.

GSF tend to associate with the shore line or structure, even more than BG. The larger ones will venture out into open water but if I want to catch a small one for my wife to use as CC bait flip a small morsel of about anything right along the shore and that is where they hang out.

Using a minnow trap for 2" ones put it paralell to the shore with about 6-12" of water covering the top with some dog food, fish food or bread as bait. They like shallow water right along the shore line.

The Purena Large Mouth pellets or the Optimal Hand Toss pellets are the perfect bait for baiting minnow traps. Large enough to stay in the trap in one piece for a while and has the fish oil and attractants fish like. I keep a plastic container of these big pellets in my UTV when running traps to use as bait. Or for fun, just to toss a couple out in open water and watch the BG go nuts knocking them out of the water trying to eat them. Till a CC comes along then they are gone.

Last edited by snrub; 07/01/18 11:31 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
I built a couple cloverleaf traps and bait with dry dog food in a plastic bottle punched full of holes. GSF are usually pretty eager and willing to go inside and you can catch a couple dozen at a time. When you run the traps, bring a bucket to put water in, dump everything in the bucket so you can sort thru the catch. Cull all the GSF and anything else goes back in the pond.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM