Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,132
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, FishinRod, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689), 948 guests, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#492742 06/26/18 05:09 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Any thoughts on the ideal pond gun?

Dispatching cotton mouth, snappers and the occasional rabid pointy beak feathered fish rustler are the primary uses that come to mind.
I'm thinking either a 22mag or a 12ga would be about right. A combo gun (drilling?) Might fit the bill.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Clay N' Pray; 06/26/18 05:09 PM.

Half acre 30 year old farm pond, Mebane NC. Aeration & feeder.
LMB, CC, SC, BG, HBC, two no account welfare carp and nine seasonal Tilapia that all the other fish are terrified of.

I carry a 22 long rifle pistol when I have a snake or gator that needs tending to. If it's a snake or rustler, I use rat shot. If it's a gator....hollow point!! Luckily I haven't had any poisoness snakes so far, but ain't nothing eating my fish that ain't gonna feed me! Turtles don't eat enough fish to really matter, but I ain't beyond giving them an invite for dinner if they get big enough to mess with.

Gator on the other hand...yum. And if he's inside my fense, he's just become a threat to my 4 legged kids.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
S
S
I'm not a gun guy although I do own a few, but my favorite rifle to shoot is a Henry lever action 22.

I like the way it feels and I bought it with the idea my grandsons would be shooting it. For them I like the lever action over an automatic because you have to physically put a live round in the chamber and once you shoot there is no live round in the chamber till you physically move the lever again. I just felt the lever action was safer for them than a semi-auto.

But I really like shooting the rifle also.

If you want a 22 pistol my wife and I both have different models of the Buckmarks. They are a nice small caliber gun to plink with.

Last edited by snrub; 06/26/18 05:34 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Taurus Judge with .410 shells. I have one and love it

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I am not very knowledgeable about this either, and also use a .22 LR, but this is not supposed to be a good gun for water critters due to poor water penetration and ricochets off the water. Know what's behind what you are shooting at.

D
D
Yes the 22 LR will skip.

If it was me looking for a utility gun it would be the 22 mag with the 10-22 clip bolt action open sites. You can slip the clip in and out with ease. The open site keep dirt of any scope lenses. It is big enough to take out a coyote and I expect any gator too.

If I was going to get a varmint gun to get the job done over and over that will last for many good years.

This would be the one.

Cheers Don.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 06/26/18 07:04 PM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
T
T
Don, I have to agree with your choice. My go to pond gun is the 22 mag. It will bust a snake into two pieces and will make a Cormorant take to flight from 400 yds away. I like to adjust my windage as it sets on cover at the pond. I do like the variable scope I have on mine and prefer it over an open sight. Not very often but sometimes I will take my lever action 4/10 just for a change.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
T
T
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Taurus Judge with .410 shells. I have one and love it

C
OP Offline
C
What range do you get (useable pattern) with the judge and #7 shot?
I'm not normally a fan of Taurus firearms but I'm intrigued by the concept of a revolving shotgun.
I always thought of it as gimmicky, due to the rifled barrel throwing the shot pattern all over the map.
I'm thinking it's a 10 foot away type tool, or am I mistaken?

LMB, CC, SC, BG, HBC, two no account welfare carp and nine seasonal Tilapia that all the other fish are terrified of.

Lunker
Lunker
Savage Model 24, 22 lr over 20 gauge.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
TGW1 #492778 06/27/18 07:52 AM
D
D
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Don, I have to agree with your choice. My go to pond gun is the 22 mag. It will bust a snake into two pieces and will make a Cormorant take to flight from 400 yds away. I like to adjust my windage as it sets on cover at the pond. I do like the variable scope I have on mine and prefer it over an open sight. Not very often but sometimes I will take my lever action 4/10 just for a change.

The scope can make this into a tack driver for sure. When hunting coyotes the scope becomes more of a problem in the snow. By the time you get the cover off and the yote is in a run it can be hard to get the good shot off.

This model has an easy remove scope rail. Do you have a 3X9 on yours?

K
K
It's hard to pick just one gun to do everything. Here in Ohio I find a .22LR with a scope and 12ga will do just about everything for my needs around the pond.

I have shot a Taurus Judge and it's a decent gun. I would consider having on hand when walking my property. There have been times when I've walked up and spooked Coyotes at very close range and wished I would have had something on me..

Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Savage Model 24, 22 lr over 20 gauge.

I'll second that! My savage 24 22lr/410 is the brush gun I take out on the place. My second choice would be the Taurus Judge if I needed my hands free.

Both guns take shot or slug, you cant' go wrong.

Now, some of you folks with bears and the like...you're on your own. Get a big gun or stay home. You can find the Savages in larger rifle bore and shot gun sizes. Get your wallet out. Even the smaller caliber 24's in good shape go for $300 to $500.

Fish on!,
Noel
M
M
I use a marlin model 60 - cheap and reliable. Other than having a heavy trigger pull it is a very accurate out of the box 22lr

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP
S
S
Originally Posted By: Clay N' Pray
What range do you get (useable pattern) with the judge and #7 shot?
I'm not normally a fan of Taurus firearms but I'm intrigued by the concept of a revolving shotgun.
I always thought of it as gimmicky, due to the rifled barrel throwing the shot pattern all over the map.
I'm thinking it's a 10 foot away type tool, or am I mistaken?

Like I said, I'm not a gun guy so this is just from a search to see what you all were talking about.

Tarus Judge
Tarus Circuit Judge

Looks cool!

Last edited by snrub; 06/27/18 09:08 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
K
K
+1 The Marlin Model 60 is what I have.. probably about 6 years old now.. dirt cheap, accurate and reliable as ever.. I hate to admit but I don't think I've cleaned the poor gun once yet the entire time i've owned it.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have a Model 60 and like it.

Another fun thing. I have an old Marlin bolt action 22 single shot. A couple of years ago I developed a flinch. I actually live in a suburb of Fort Worth so getting to the range is pretty inconvenient and costly. I built a 100 yard range on my land but that's 70 miles away. I don't shoot there after September due to the approach of deer season.

I found a 22 short round made by Aguila called a Colibri. It has no powder, isn't accurate beyond 30 to 35 feet but is whisper quiet. My back yard is wood fenced so neighbors can't see what I'm doing. I probably shoot 200 or so rounds per week with these things. I have a small, steel, swinging target that I back with a couple of folded flat rate boxes and a steel piece behind that.

As deer season approaches, I'll have to change over to my bigger guns and do some range time.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
OP Offline
C
Anyone else use a suppressor?
I own several and find them very handy to protect my hearing. I don't always have time to grab muffs.
I'd not drive a car without muffler, so a gun muffler is just good sense.
Here is my Ruger MKII with silencerco sparrow. It's pellet gun (movie) quiet with standard velocity ammo.

Last edited by Clay N' Pray; 06/28/18 07:14 AM.

DonoBBD #492869 06/28/18 07:29 AM
T
T
yes, a 3x9. I use both high and low range around the pond. Never use a scope cover, it's to big of a hassle. I will use an untucked shirt bottom and wipe the sights when I pick it up to hunt. We don't see much snow around here but I could see where I would need a scope cover if I was hunting in the snow. Believe this or not but I can kill a snake easier with this riffle over a 4/10 with #6 shot. The riffle ranges out farther. I like that it will make two snakes out of one, no matter where I hit the snake.

Last edited by TGW1; 06/28/18 07:36 AM.

Tracy
D
D
I own several and find them very handy to protect my hearing. I don't always have time to grab muffs.
Here is my Ruger MKII with silencerco sparrow. It's pellet gun (movie) quiet with standard velocity ammo.

In Canada you need your restricted firearms license to own a hand gun. Suppressors are 100% against the law to own.

All rim fires you are only allowed 10 rounds.
All center fire you are only allowed 5 round.
More than that you are breaking the law.

To get a gun license you must do a 2 day course and pass a test at the end with 80% or more. You then need to send in your back ground check to the RCMP for approval with two people that will vouch for your character.

Restricted is another course and another back ground check.

Cheers Don.

DonoBBD #492891 06/28/18 11:14 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD

In Canada you need your restricted firearms license to own a hand gun. Suppressors are 100% against the law to own.

All rim fires you are only allowed 10 rounds.
All center fire you are only allowed 5 round.
More than that you are breaking the law.

To get a gun license you must do a 2 day course and pass a test at the end with 80% or more. You then need to send in your back ground check to the RCMP for approval with two people that will vouch for your character.

Restricted is another course and another back ground check.

Cheers Don.
I'm

That sounds alot like Europe.
Peasants can't be armed.

Last edited by Clay N' Pray; 06/28/18 11:16 AM.

CnP, I have a Savage Mark II 22lr that's suppressed. Very nice little rifle, but it won't stop anything much bigger than a raccoon.

I know the Benelli brother's are probably rolling over in their graves, but I keep my SBE 12 gauge in the utv at all times. Flat land here, and we're surrounded by cows, horses, neighbors, and more cows, so a rifle won't work for me. I keep dove loads, and steel 3 1/2" goose loads with me too. The dove loads are for noise, and the 12 gauge goose loads will reach out there when needed, and they will take down a critter the size of a beaver.

AL

B
B

Mostly shoot suppressed, except for the Savage A17 that is my go-to thinning out the vermin pond gun. If walking the pond at night a shotgun would be a better choice for snakes. I have a SilercerCo on my 17 WSM.

Last edited by BrianL; 06/29/18 09:23 AM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
T
T
Speaking of Beaver, I removed two from the pond the day before yesterday. I was looking (hunting) with the 22mag for an otter at the time. I popped one yoy beaver and one large beaver. Had to wait till they floated to the top yesterday to remove them from the pond. I was not aware there were any beaver in the pond. I am always looking for otters and beavers. In the past three and a half years I have taken 3 beaver, 6 otters. It's a never ending battle. I will keep traps out most of the year but since we have been training Golden Retrievers I only keep out one trap at the far end of the pond and watch over the dogs carefully. I don't like it and will probably remove the trap soon, it's only been out for a week. Anyone know of a live trap for otters? I have looked at live beaver traps but not sure they would work on otters.

Tracy
Tracy, I have a double guillotine trap from Advanced Traps, and it's been well worth the money. I really like mine in underwater entrances, because all you need to do is drive by and see if the gates are down. If they are, you more than likely caught something.

AT is redoing their website, but you can look at all the traps at trappintales.com. They have 7-8 traps that are designated for otters.

AL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday