Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,783
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, catscratch, 4CornersPuddle, DON, FishinRod, BackyardTrout), 685 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 27 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 26 27
Was. 60, 90, 100, 90, 20, 40, 60, 30.. Percentages for rain over the next 8 days
Now. 40, 60, 90, 70, 20, 30, 20, 30, 40.. dropping chances. Oh well. Still hoping. Ha!

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
J
J
Jeff,
The weather forecast is biased toward forecasting more rain than will actually happen.

The main reason: people become angry with the weather forecasters when an event is rained out but rain not forecasted.

If rain is forecasted but no rain, most people are happy. Most are ignorant of farming and ponds and would rather it rarely rained. They like to live in the desert, but like to enjoy cheap water.

We pond owners and farmers are the exception.

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Those chances of rain always seem to get smaller and more scattered as the rain gets closer to me.lol!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
If I could do anything to push this system your way, I surely would. My pond was down about 20 inches on Sunday, it's plum full and has the 6" overflow pipe half full and its still coming down. Those parts of SETX that flooded for Harvey are holding their breath as the water continues to rise. Some areas reporting up to 9" of rain the last two days. We've had enough now. It needs to move on to those who need it.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 06/19/18 07:22 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Mike, my pond is down about 15', so I'll take all you can send me!lol!I think I got some of your rain last night, at least they say the rain coming our way is coming from your area.I got about .90" yesterday evening, that came down within an hour or so, with most of it coming down in about half an hour.When I got up I could tell it just stopped raining, and I had a total of 1.85" in the rain gauge.As happy as I was to get that much, when I watched the weather, they was showing areas not far from me getting a lot more, so I still felt short changed.lol!Then when I checked the pond this morning, I felt short changed again.lol!I'm not sure if I got as much at the pond as I did at the house.Their about 4,000' from each other.I didn't get as much in the pond as I thought I would, and things just didn't look as wet as I thought they should.My gravel road seemed to dry for that much rain.I did get about 6 1/4" in the pond, but that's about what I figured I'd get from the first .90", as fast as it came down.I'm still happy to have gotten what I did and they are showing a chance of rain everyday for the next week, so hopefully I'll get a few more good rains out of it.

Last edited by Bobbss; 06/20/18 11:25 AM.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
I know how you feel, Bob. Before this storm blew in, I was excited every time it drizzled (which wasn't often) and when it did rain, I'd be disappointed because my sandy ground would drink it all up. Even with rain the water level just kept shrinking.

After day one of this I only gained two inches because there was no shed. The ground kept it all. By the time I got home yesterday the pond was about 3 inches over the full pool line.

As dry as it's been for you, it's gonna take a serious rain to get you filled up. Fingers crossed you get what you need, but I hope it comes at just the right pace to keep y'all from flooding. That ain't fun brother. Been there, done that....twice in two years.

J
J
We got exactly one inch today in about four hours. It's been dry here too, so the ponds gained about an inch. We might get a little more rain this evening. I would like to see another inch fall over a span of about five to ten minutes.

Bob, it's going to take a serious flood to fill that pond another 15 feet. How much watershed does it have in acres?

Last edited by John Fitzgerald; 06/20/18 04:02 PM.
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Mike,it's been so dry around here,I only got run off from the area that was cleared for the pond.By time I got home from work,things had already dried out a lot.The sediment pond got no run off from the rest of the wooded water shed area.
John,I only have about 7 (steep) acres of water shed,which is on the low side for a 3/4 acre pond.After I know it will hold water well enough,I will probably have some work done to increase it.I also want to clear out some of the under growth in the wooded area,so it will get more run off.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
S
S
Only got a quarter of an inch here. Corn really needed it and it helped out. Supposed to have good chances over the weekend so this shower will hold things till then. Hope we get some more.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Do you have a well near by that you can plumb into? A venturi built in to the water line would ensure 02 was being injected before the water reached your pond. Or you could have it run over some baffles to aerate it prior to entry as well. You'd just have to regulate the flow so the pump ran continuously. Shutting on and off wouldn't be good for the pump.

Looks like the rain is pushing off to your East.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bob, my big pond went from about 1.3 acre to less than 1/4 acre of a muddy mess. Then the rains started and didn’t stop. I’ve heard that all droughts are ended by a flood and it darn sure happened to me. Due to leaks, I’m currently down about a foot.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Well, it’s all but over. No more rain in the FC. I ended up with 1.1” for all that rain was predicted. The trees and beans sucked up any runoff, so my pond is actually down a couple inches over the last two weeks. Looks like hot & dry through to the 4th..

I totally jinxed us by thinking we couldn’t miss.. mad

Last edited by SetterGuy; 06/21/18 09:18 AM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
J
J
It looked like on the radar that we were going to get another good rain early yesterday evening. It fizzled before getting here. Total yesterday was exactly one inch. No appreciable run off locally. Sometimes I wish my watershed was all concrete.

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Mike, no well at this time.We hope to build a new house on the property soon.We will have to put a well in, and I'm hoping I can upgrade it some to help keep the pond full.
Dave,I hope your right.I don't want to see people get hurt or have a lot of problems from it, but I'm ready to see some flooding.lol!In 2 months it will be right at a year since my pond was built,and I still only have a little over 4' of water in a 19' deep hole.lol!Even if it isn't going to hold water well enough, it would still be nice to see it full one time, after all the work, time and money I put in it.lol!
Jeff, I was still seeing some chance on the news this morning, but it wasn't looking as good as it did.The radar on my phone, just showed a small patch of rain going over my pond,but I've seen that before, and still didn't get any rain.Since you jinxed us,it's your turn to do the rain dance!lol!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Heck Bob, if you're planning on building on the property anyway, instead of putting $ into clearing ground to improve watershed, I think I'd invest in the well now instead!! I was really tempted to (and may still yet) tie into mine and route waterline to the pond. Of course I already live on my pond, literally 40 feet from the front door, so it would be easy to do for me. Luckily we got rain. Still are actually. Sure wish it would go park it's butt over y'all for a couple of days.

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Mike,the well will cost a lot, so I probably won't be able to do it till we build.I also need to know where the house will set for sure before drilling a well.I know the back of the house will only be about a 100' from the pond, but may be moved 50'-100' left or right.I talked to a well guy not long a go and he said some other problems with a well will be that most wells in my area over 600' deep, and at 600' it would take at least a 5hp pump to do me much good, and we might have to go 800' or more to find enough water.Which would take a even bigger pump.He also said that pumps that are good for ponds aren't good for house and vice versa, and that the bigger the pump the harder it will be to make it work and that a 5hp will probably be as big as I could use and make it work for both.I do plan to talk to another well guy, but I think I will have to see how deep they have to drill to know what I can do.Another down side is the monthly electric bill.All that being said, I hope I can do something with the well and I would think anything I can add from a well would be better than nothing,lol!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
A well to fill a pond would be tough to cost justify due to electricity costs. Water is hard to find on my place. A well guy told me that the average household uses, as I remember, about 250 gallons per day. My well, when initially dug, produced 1/10 gpm. But, it does it 24 hours per day and I pump into a big tank. Don't remember how many gallons it holds but I seem to recall that it is 2,500 gallons. It is shallow. We found water at 50 ft and no more below that. I have no reason to worry about running out of water for household use.

I can't pump into a pond or even have an orchard. We seldom get a lot of rain on my place. When we do, it is usually a gully washer.

I dowsed the well with a couple of bent brass rods. I walked around and one of them swung sideways. I marked the spot and it didn't happen anywhere else. When I went back over it, it didn't happen again. So, I hunted up a local dowser. He confirmed my finding but said there wasn't much. I went ahead and drilled there and things worked out.

The dowser used a small, forked, willow limb. While he was there a local cowboy dropped by. He tried it and could also do it. He found another spot. However, if I put my hand on the stick when he was holding it, it didn't pull down. I don't have the touch and others do. When they used my brass rods, it didn't work for either of them.

I called Lusk and asked if he had any idea how long it took rain water to perc 50 ft through the ground on my sandy, rocky place. He figured about a week.

So far, I've never run out of water but a lot of permanent residents in the area have had wells dry up. I might also if I lived there full time.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 06/22/18 04:39 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J

S
S
Many many years ago one of the major farm magazines did a dousing demonstration. There was a construction site where the dirt was going to be completely filled in or moved in a large area. Can't remember but something like 160 acres. They buried a bunch of thousand gallon water tanks and covered the entire site with fresh fill.

Can't remember all of the specifics but they had several dowsers do their thing and as I recall several were able to determine some number of positive hits that were far greater than what random guesses would have discovered.

Can't remember the specifics enough. That was way before on line stuff so don't know how a person would find it.

Last edited by snrub; 06/22/18 11:00 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
The well guy I talked to was saying it would probably be around $15,000.00 for a normal well in my area and another $4,000.00-$5,000.00 to go up to the 5hp pump.So not cheap.lol!
I had another 1/4" in the rain gauge this morning,that gave me 1 1/4" in the pond.That seems like a lot from a small rain, so I'm thinking I might of got more rain at the pond than I did at the house.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Dang, you have to pay a lot for a well up there!! Mine is 200 feet with a 1hp submersible pump at 80 feet. Only cost $3500.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
john, I didn't believe in the hocus pocus of dowsing until I saw it done. And, in my area, it's too scarce for random chances. I (well driller) bored 3 dry holes prior to the dowsing.

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Mike, I wish that's all it cost here, I'd put in two wells, one for the house and one for the pond. A couple of home builders I've talked to said they usually averaged around $10.000.00, but could be higher. The well guy I talked to said my area is one of the highest elevations in the state and that you have to drill deeper there.I know my property is one of the highest in my area, it was picked for a 911 tower, and has one on the back of it. I'm sure how high my property sets is one of the reason it wants to soak up so much water.Not much ground water setting that high up, especially after a bad drought.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
I'm sure you guys have to deal with a lot more rock than we do down here which would attribute to a higher cost per foot of depth. My driller went to over 300 before we decided to come back up to 200. There was a good vein there, and he figured he probably wouldn't find another vein till 400+. We had the right kind of sand and so far I can't complain about the quality. I was checking the pond this morning to see if our rain event had made any difference to the chemistry. While I was at it, I checked my well water. Its got better Ph, alk and hardness than my pond. It's actually got me wondering if I wouldn't be better off supplementing my pond water on a regular basis from the well (say one day a week for 10 - 12 hours). Maybe someone more in the know will chime in on it.

I don't think they ever hit solid rock. Just a lot of gravel and shell.

I can't imagine having to pay 10k+ for each well.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 06/23/18 11:25 AM.

Page 19 of 27 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:23 PM
Pond needs help!