Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (esshup, Fishingadventure, John Fitzgerald, Bill Cody, Waxaholic), 1,116 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49208 08/10/04 09:19 AM
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
A co-worker lives in a development that is in the process of killing the fish in the lake to start all over again. Like many ponds like this, there are all sorts of "helpful" neighbors that "donate" all sorts of fish, so it is hard telling what is in it. Here is the problem. They have been drawing down the pond and on Saturday they are going to "shock it to bring the fish to the surface." I assume they are using Rotenone. The residents are being told that the fish will be safe to eat if you net them up as soon as they start floating. My questions are thus: Are the fish safe to eat? Could there be some other way to wipe out the pond to start over?

Shawn

J
J
I have a small 1/4 acre pond and about 3 years ago after 5 years of stocking hybrid bluegill which I don't like that subspecies, I decided to start over with coppernose. All I did was break the dam, and simply let the water drain, then cleaned house.

S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Thanks, J.A.G. I just did a search and found that info paper about the stuff, it says it is not recommended to eat the fish, but doesn't say it is dangerous either. Just that the EPA has not established thresholds for dangerous levels. Thanks for the help.

Shawn

J
JM Offline
J
When you say
 Quote:
they are going to "shock it to bring the fish to the surface."
that is exactly what they are going to do. They will use a specially made device that will put current into the water, that will sorta temporarily paralize the fish and they will come to the surface.

Rotenone would not make them float, only have them attempt to escape it and then suffocate. Some fish will run themselves into the pond bottom during this process and you would never see them. They will probably use rotenone after everyone has grabbed what they want from the shocking using their nets. Its pretty neat that they are going through the trouble to shock it to allow everyone this opportunity. I'd suggest getting a NET!! \:\)

John
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
The reason I used quotes is because that was the term that my co-worker used. Being a lake association, I doubt that shocking is going to be involved. Who knows, I could be wrong. Dave Willis recently posted that shocking only identifies 10% of the bass population, what about other species? I agree, it would be great if they did this, but I don't think that is in the plan. They have advertised that anyone is welcome to fish and keep anything they catch. Too bad it is about 30 minutes to my pond, it would be nice to have some channel cats.

Shawn

F
F
If they do electrofish the pond, it is extremely unlikely that they will get all of the fish out. Shocking is not THAT effective and isn't a technique designed to rid a pond of fish.

Personally, I wouldn't eat fish that were killed by rotenone, but I know lots of people that do.

J
J
I'm with you I wouldn't eat fish dealt with from that stuff. It may be ight for you to eat, but i'd rather go through a little extra effort with draining or as mentioned above netting. Another thing after using that stuff watch out cause i've read in some cases it may cause problems with your new stock.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hi Shawn. Let me tell you what I know about rotenone and fish. This, unfortunately, starts to get into that "grey area" where things get a little dicey.

For years, people ate fish after rotenone operations. Most state agencies would let people take the fish and eat them. Then, there was a study done in Spain (I believe) back in the late 70s that indicated that the rotenone caused cancer in rats/mice. I recall that others tried to replicate that study, but without much success. I think they used a very high level of rotenone, and that did cause a tumor. I'm not sure, and I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway, as a result, most state agencies now recommend that people do not eat fish from rotenone treated waters. I think it's one of those legal issues, where they are unwilling to accept liability. Similarly, a lake association or consulting company may not want to accept that liability either??

Electrofishing, as already indicated, won't get all of the fish. However, those that are caught could either be eaten, or transferred elsewhere.

Hope this helps somewhat. Just in general, I believe it's best to pass on eating fish killed by rotenone. Is it really worth taking a risk?

Dave

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Thanks to all who answered. I've sent a link to this discussion to my coworker, who is forwarding it to the lake association. What a great way to publicize this wonderful resource we call POND BOSS!

Dave, thanks again. I was hoping you would chime in. I hope to get up your way this fall, if Mayor Munsterman extends an invite to hunt \:D .

After sending that info paper from a previous post to my co-worker, it has already made the rounds to the association, who will probably encourage people to catch and eat PRIOR to treatment. Just another great example of why we love this place.

Shawn

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Shawn -- if you do end up in Brookings, be sure to get in touch. Pheasant numbers are looking pretty good, based on first returns from the brood counts.

I have many "volunteers" to help teach my advanced fisheries management class every other fall. :-) They only want to come in the fall; why do you suppose that is?? :-)

Dave

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
S
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
Thanks again to all who answered the call. My collegue said she was a little distressed to see how the fish died, but all in all, it seemed to work out OK. After looking at the lake, with a little effort they "might" have been able to net out some of the fish prior to treating, but that is just a guess. The lake is long and narrow, more of a deepened and dammed drainage ditch than anything. But then again, I'msure there were significant bottom obstacles for seining. But most importantly, residents were advised of the opinions and expertise of this forum, so I think that most passed on a fish fry, or at least were educated about possible risks.

Thanks again. More proof on the great people on this site.

Shawn

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?