Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shorthose, rjackson, Dave Davidson1, catscratch, Foozle), 691 guests, and 146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
wow Rex that was educational.

it seems my Tilapia survive at least 6 months of the year,
I guess if they were Blues they'd go 8 months or more?

Fishing has never been about the fish....

F
F
Originally Posted By: Rainman

The topic of this thread began asking "Tilapia Cost Questions". The answer depends! Actual dollar costs vary based on species, availability, order volume, transport and production expenses. those cost can be as low as $2.00/lb for a wholesale, 1000 pound order of food fish hybrid Niles that are virtually useless in a pond for algae control and/or forage production, to $40/lb for pure strain Blues that are custom stocked based on an on site survey, goal assessment and guarantee of annual goal attainment.

A better answer to this particular question would consider your particular pond, available sourcing, location and desired goals, then compare the cost of an annual Tilapia stocking to the seasonal costs of aeration, feed, chemicals, labor, etc.....you will almost certainly discover that at even the highest price I know of, $40/lb, you will spend less on tilapia that you would on "traditional" controls to attain your individual goals.

Very nice read Rex. Thank you for the time that it took.

I highlighted the one part above because for those that are reading this and only interested in what the cost is. I thought you really summed it up pretty good with that paragraph.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Here is a really well done video about stocking Tilapia in ponds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJBjcTB4KhE

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Zep
wow Rex that was educational.

it seems my Tilapia survive at least 6 months of the year,
I guess if they were Blues they'd go 8 months or more?

In Texas? YOU would get 8 months, or more! grin

They go in the water 10 degrees cooler and last 10 degrees cooler than Mozambique. Sexual maturity and age are near the same, yet you can expect 2-6 more late season spawns in a season from Blues. Since these late spawns include not only the stockers, but also surviving, matured YOY, the last spawns are MASSIVE just when the MB and other predators prepare to gorge on the lethargic buffet.

In Alabama, in your latitude, 10 months survival is pretty well expected for the Blues. Mild winters get an occasional overwintering population. There is no reproduction in late fall and winter due to an inadequate photoperiod, so most get consumed anyway when lethargic.

Last edited by Rainman; 05/09/14 07:02 PM.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Rex, this in response to your previous long response. I think I learn something from you almost every time you post!!! Thank You "buddy" wink. Now nod your head, tell them to pull the gate and hang on for the longest 8 seconds of your life.... If you get in trouble, some of us "rodeo clowns" will help you out grin.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
MRHELLO, Nilotica's (Niles) don't do very well at all for algae control. They have a narrower food preference, reproduce less often, become sexually mature FAR later than Blue or Mozambique, and still die at the higher water temp range of the Mozambique.

This lower and slower reproduction rate is why Niles are the preferred fish for food production. That is also why one should use great care if using a food fish producer's stock for algae control.

So will Niles eat anything else that is in the pond if not the algae? I may have to find another source for my Tilapia this year then. Maybe I have received some hybrids before. Not too sure they care for the algae but they reproduced well in my tank. That is what makes it bad when you do not know for sure what you purchased.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
MRHELLO, Nilotica's (Niles) don't do very well at all for algae control. They have a narrower food preference, reproduce less often, become sexually mature FAR later than Blue or Mozambique, and still die at the higher water temp range of the Mozambique.

This lower and slower reproduction rate is why Niles are the preferred fish for food production. That is also why one should use great care if using a food fish producer's stock for algae control.

So will Niles eat anything else that is in the pond if not the algae? I may have to find another source for my Tilapia this year then. Maybe I have received some hybrids before. Not too sure they care for the algae but they reproduced well in my tank. That is what makes it bad when you do not know for sure what you purchased.

Legit question... I've seen them fight over crawdads that just shed... Anyone have a list of types of algae that the "blues" won't eat?

Oh, by the way, we had some friends over last fall and they caught a couple nice ones using turkey bacon. I've never caught one out of my pond confused (except with a net).

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: hang_loose

Legit question... I've seen them fight over crawdads that just shed... Anyone have a list of types of algae that the "blues" won't eat?

Oh, by the way, we had some friends over last fall and they caught a couple nice ones using turkey bacon. I've never caught one out of my pond confused (except with a net).

No algae I know of to put on a list. I think Bill Cody even saw them consume Blue/Green algae. I'll let him say if they were a toxic variety.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO

I am sure Niles eat many things in a pond, it is the comparably inferior reproduction rates and narrower preferred foods that, again, by comparison to Blue or Mozambique Tilapia, make them a far less economical "goal to cost" choice in a pond, but preferred choice in food fish aquaculture.

C
C
Mudhole,

I sent you a PM. I have the cheap Tilapia hookup and a good way to transport them.
I'm in Mebane also.

Ryan
Nine one nine two 36 3312

Last edited by Clay N' Pray; 06/16/18 06:29 AM.

Half acre 30 year old farm pond, Mebane NC. Aeration & feeder.
LMB, CC, SC, BG, HBC, two no account welfare carp and nine seasonal Tilapia that all the other fish are terrified of.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner