Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Linacat, rivershed, glc482, RGC3, deewayne2003
15419 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15419 Members
36 Forums
35574 Topics
485055 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24027
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19351
Dave Davidson1 13386
Bill Cody 12367
Who's Online
4 registered (Clay N' Pray, Redonthehead, Dave Davidson1, dreams of ponds), 58 Guests and 459 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#491810 - 06/14/18 09:40 AM Aeration killed fish overnight
DADx4 Offline

Loc: Texarkana, TX
Put in a HiBlow 100 pump and a diffuser in the deepest part of a 3/4 acre pond. Depth at the moment is 9 feet. Pond is 25 years old. Water feeds in during heavy rain from a couple other upstream ponds. Murkey water. No surface algae or heavy vegetation. Clay foundation.

I ran the new unit for 5 or 6 hours yesterday. This morning there were tons of fish on the banks. Some were laying there still getting Oxygen and many others were dead. I saw a couple of my big bass (10lbs) laying there trying to get Oxygen, but tons of Bluegill and crappie were dead. I didn't notice any of my catfish on the banks or floating.

Any tips on why a short duration of aeration introduction caused such a harsh fish kill so quickly. I could smell a bit of 'fishyness' when the aerator was running but not overwhelming or sulfur smell.

Edited by DADx4 (06/14/18 09:41 AM)

#491811 - 06/14/18 10:06 AM Re: Aeration killed fish overnight [Re: DADx4]
Acoursey Offline

Loc: West Lafayette, IN
Aerators are more about water movement than aeration. With the idea being that they mix the water layers so the deepest water is brought to the surface. You should have started while the water was cold and a thermocline had not yet set up, or installed the airstone in shallow water and slowly moved deeper( 1 or 2 feet a day) to prevent the anoxic water from mixing too quickly. You likely released an incredible amount of nutrients as well with it being an old pond.

#491812 - 06/14/18 10:13 AM Re: Aeration killed fish overnight [Re: DADx4]
Journeyman Offline

Loc: wisconsin
That's a tough lesson to learn! It's likely 25 years of decaying matter made the bottom a toxic wasteland that the fish were able to avoid.

#491813 - 06/14/18 10:30 AM Re: Aeration killed fish overnight [Re: DADx4]
BrianL Offline

Loc: Paris, TX
There are start-up procedures for aeration systems to prevent that from happening.

You start at 15 minutes a day until no smell is coming up from the water. Once no smell double time, Stop at any interval that smell returns, until no smell then continue to double time.

The aeration system itself does not add O2 to the water, it is about water movement.

Edited by BrianL (06/14/18 10:32 AM)

#491829 - 06/14/18 12:50 PM Re: Aeration killed fish overnight [Re: DADx4]
Quarter Acre Offline

Loc: West Central Missouri
Terribly sorry to hear about your fish kill!

I would say that you have brought too much water up from the bottom, too fast, that was void of oxygen. This bottom water mixed with the upper levels of water WITH oxygen. This would reduce the overall oxygen levels and cause the fish to suffocate or nearly suffocate.

This water movement that occurred also brought up gasses that typically collect and stay near the bottom. These gasses can be poisonous.

I'm no expert and hopefully you will get a more specific explanation to the cause, but at this point you need to know how to move forward without making things worse. Is your aerator running now? I would suggest that it stays off until your situation has been thoroughly evaluated.

#491830 - 06/14/18 12:57 PM Re: Aeration killed fish overnight [Re: DADx4]
wbuffetjr Offline

Loc: in the mountains
That's terrible. Sorry to hear it.

I had to run mine 15 minutes per day for a week due to the smell before I could increase to 30 minutes per day.

It can be a very slow process. It took me quite some time to be able to get up to 4 hours.

#491840 - 06/14/18 02:15 PM Re: Aeration killed fish overnight [Re: DADx4]
DADx4 Offline

Only ran it for about 6 hours but during the heat of the day here in Texas, with turnover probably already going on. I see now why this happened. I've been sick to my stomach all day. Big clean up this afternoon in store for me.
Will start slow with 15 minutes a day moving forward. I did run it for an hour the day before with no issues, so I moved to 6 hours the next day. I know now that was a poor decision and have this terrible incident as a grim reminder for anyone else that might see this thread when starting up an aeration for the first time.
Most things you read on the web talk only about adding aeration and the huge benefit, but few places get into the proper way to introduce the system. Thank you all for your input. I'll be back with more on this thread as things evolve if you are interested to hear.

#491846 - 06/14/18 02:43 PM Re: Aeration killed fish overnight [Re: DADx4]
DrLuke Offline

Loc: Grinnell, IA
Hang in there bud. Many of us have been there, and really do know how you feel. Won't be too long and you'll have healthier water to work with, which is one of the key foundations to a great fishery.

#491874 - 06/14/18 05:32 PM Re: Aeration killed fish overnight [Re: DADx4]
BrianL Offline

Loc: Paris, TX
This is a WAG on my part, but I would wait a couple weeks before doing anything else with the aerator. Give things time to settle out, then start back slow.

#492000 - 06/16/18 11:20 PM Re: Aeration killed fish overnight [Re: DADx4]
DADx4 Offline

Day 1, approx 50 fish.
Day 2, 10 fish.
Lost mainly BG, some smaller bass and crappie, along with one big channel cat.
Today there were none dead.

Will start slow on the next go-round with aeration, only 15 min a day.
Any product recommendations to speed up the toxic muck clean up? Bacteria?

#492012 - 06/17/18 06:58 AM Re: Aeration killed fish overnight [Re: DADx4]
Clay N' Pray Online   content

Loc: Caswell co NC
Originally Posted By: DADx4
Day 1, approx 50 fish.
Day 2, 10 fish.
Lost mainly BG, some smaller bass and crappie, along with one big channel cat.
Today there were none dead.

Will start slow on the next go-round with aeration, only 15 min a day.
Any product recommendations to speed up the toxic muck clean up? Bacteria?

My opinion, run aeration for a complete summer season before considering any chemicals. Keeping DO in that deep water will do more than any chemical will.

(I'm in the first summer of aeration in a 30 year old farm pond)

The smell will get worse before it gets better. One thing I've learned so far- everything has to happen slowly.

#492036 - 06/17/18 05:39 PM Re: Aeration killed fish overnight [Re: DADx4]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
Originally Posted By: DADx4
Put in a HiBlow 100 pump and a diffuser in the deepest part of a 3/4 acre pond. Depth at the moment is 9 feet. Pond is 25 years old. Water feeds in during heavy rain from a couple other upstream ponds. Murkey water. No surface algae or heavy vegetation. Clay foundation.

I ran the new unit for 5 or 6 hours yesterday. This morning there were tons of fish on the banks. Some were laying there still getting Oxygen and many others were dead. I saw a couple of my big bass (10lbs) laying there trying to get Oxygen, but tons of Bluegill and crappie were dead. I didn't notice any of my catfish on the banks or floating.

Any tips on why a short duration of aeration introduction caused such a harsh fish kill so quickly. I could smell a bit of 'fishyness' when the aerator was running but not overwhelming or sulfur smell.

Like others have said, you mixed the nasty bottom water too quickly with the good water the fish were living in. It could have caused an O2 problem but the more likely cause of the fish kill was all the nasty toxic gasses of the lower water ruining what good upper water you had.

Ideally you would start up aeration in such an old eutrophic pond in the cool of late winter early spring when O2 would be less likely an issue. But even then you would want to mix the lower toxic water slowly with the upper good water. This gives the toxic gasses time to off gas in small amounts over time at the surface. In the heat of the summer the slow start up just becomes even more important.

Edited by snrub (06/17/18 05:46 PM)

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Today's Birthdays
Rksisk108
Recent Posts
Female only LMB concept debunked?
by Dave Davidson1
Chronicles of stocking Hybrid Striped Bass......
by Dave Davidson1
Never been much for fishing, but maybe someday....
by snrub
01:58 AM
Pond Mission Impossible?
by PerryNZ
12:34 AM
3 year old bg size
by scott69
10:47 PM
male cnbg die after spawn?
by scott69
10:41 PM
Intro