I have not used the Hiblo but do own 5 of the Pondmaster AP100 pumps which I believe are of the same type of linear motor driven diaphragm type.

I was drawn to them by the low initial cost and low electrical operating cost.

They have worked pretty well for the first three years with each one lasting about 9 months 24/7 run time before the diaphragm failure and the need to rebuild. The rebuild kits are reasonably priced and are not too difficult to install. The first time probably took me an hour and thereafter 20-30 minutes depending on how fumble finger I am feeling that day.

rebuilding pondmaster AP100 pump

I originally started with one pump and a single Matala dual 9" membrane diffuser. The next spring I ordered three more pumps and ended up with three pumps driving three double diffusers in a 3 acre pond at about 8-9' depth with pretty decent results. The fourth pump drove two single diffusers, one in my 1/10th acre sediment pond and the other in my 1/20th acre forage pond.

I was pretty will maxing out the capability of the pumps at 8-9 feet depth. One negative thing about linear motor diaphragm pumps is the cfm output drops drastically with depth. This is one negative of this type pump. My pumps were down to about 3 cfm at my depth. Or at least that is what they claimed. After seeing the boil my new rotary vane pump makes I think it was closer to 2 cfm. Because of diaphragm failure at inopportune times I ordered a 5th pump just so I could have a spare when one went down.

pressure vs depth of linear motor type diaphragm pump

I started running into some problems. One is I raised the level of my pond a foot making the diffusers deeper by a foot. This reduced air flow a little more. And I ran into some problems after a rebuild. I had a couple pumps that would pump air fine and hold pressure but would only make about 3-4.5 psi. One would not even push the air out at my deepest diffuser. I switched pumps around and got them all to pushing air but I could tell a couple of the pumps were just "weak" despite having a new rebuild kit in them.

That brings me to this spring when I replaced 3 of the pumps with a rotary vane pump (Gast 1023). It uses more electricity but by the looks of the boils in the water probably puts out about double the air the three linear pumps did when they were at their best. I will post a link to that installation when I find it.

I still use one of the AP100's for my sediment and forage ponds. The others I will use as spares or perhaps for other projects.

The Gast rotary vane has only been running a short time. I am hoping it will be longer life than the linear diaphragm pumps with less "fiddle with it" time involved. The Gast definitely puts out more air as I am only running it about 8 hours a day for pond turn over compared to the three linear pumps 24-7.

My experience to date.

Installation of GAST 1023 replacing 3 Pondmaster AP100's

Last edited by snrub; 06/28/18 12:21 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine