Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#491520 06/08/18 09:30 PM
Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
I know that many GSH have an ovarian parasite that prevents recruitment after year 2 or 3. I caught a 7 to 8 inch female today that was literally exploding with eggs. My question is how does the parasite present? No eggs developed or eggs that are developed and spawn occurs but eggs are sterile?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Bump

The reason I'm asking is I will throw the big gravid GSH females back if they can reproduce and provide future forage. If they are sterile, I will toss them to the coons or chop them into cut bait.

[Linked Image]
Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been researching this some and found an old PB thread ...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=22336

with a post from Ewest....

"Sporozoan Parasites Sporozoan parasites are protozoans which produce a cyst in the fish that contains spores. Mitraspora cyprini infects goldfish and can be found in the kidney. The kidney enlarges and the fish appears bloated. Myxobolus notemigoni and M. aregenteus form cysts beneath the scales of golden shiners, making the fish unsightly. Pleistophora ovarie infects golden shiner ovaries, reducing egg production. Egg masses appear discolored, opaque, yellow or brown instead of light green. Treatments for these diseases have not been developed and prevention requires culling of infected fish and disinfection of ponds. Pleistophora infections may be reduced by removing golden shiner females from brood fish ponds after two years of age."

As my GSH eggs were yellow/orange, like for example BG eggs, my GSH must have the parasite as the natural color of GSH eggs are supposed to be light green??

Last edited by Bill D.; 06/10/18 08:41 PM.

[Linked Image]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Journal of Aquatic Animal Health

Volume 20, 2008 - Issue 1

Vertical Transmission of Ovipleistophora ovariae (Microspora) within the Eggs of the Golden Shiner

Nicholas B. D. Phelps & Andrew E. Goodwin

Fertilized eggs collected from broodfish infected by Ovipleistophora ovariae were tested by quantitative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and found to be positive for the O. ovariae genome at 7.77 × 102 to 3.26 × 107 copies per microgram of host DNA. Fry hatched from these eggs contained from 1.37 × 102 to 9.89 × 106 copies of the O. ovariae genome per microgram of host DNA. Surface treatments of fertilized eggs with 150 mg formalin/L (used by farms as a fungicide) or a 1.5% solution of sodium sulfite (which removes the adhesive egg matrix) did not reduce vertical transmission to fry. Treatment of eggs with a 10% solution of bleach or a proprietary commercial DNA denaturant did not reduce the number of egg-associated copies of the O. ovariae genome. Histology of ovaries of infected fish demonstrated spores within the oocytes. However, no spores were observed by histology in positive fry hatched from infected eggs. The PCR and histological demonstration of the presence of O. ovariae spores in oocytes and fry, and the failure of strong DNA denaturants to reduce egg-associated copies, give evidence that O. ovariae is vertically transmitted within eggs.

Our demonstration of high copy numbers of the O. ovariae genome in golden shiner eggs and fry from infected broodfish shows that the parasite is vertically transmitted. Histology of ovaries sampled from broodstock showed very high densities of spores within oocytes and, together with the positive PCR results from progeny posthatch, demonstrate that the infected eggs remain viable and that the spores are incorporated into the fry. Intact spores were not detected in fry by histology, so it is likely that the spores germinate and infect host cells within the earliest phases of larval development. In an earlier report (Phelps and Goodwin 2007 Phelps, N. B. D. and Goodwin, A. E. 2007. Validation of a quantitative PCR diagnostic method for the detection of the microsporidian Ovipleistophora ovariae in cyprinid fishes. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms, 76: 215–221. ), we showed that male broodfish test positive for O. ovariae by qPCR, but not by histology. This may be the result of early development of the parasite in the testes that is later arrested at a prespore stage, when the gonad begins to differentiate into a testis rather than an ovary.

Last edited by ewest; 06/11/18 01:15 PM.

J
J
Before I found this site, I was messaging with a recently retired state fisheries biologist. He warned me against stocking GSH in my ponds because of the ovarian parasite. He indicated they could possibly transfer to other species in a confined environment like a small pond.

C
C
Would that be bad? it seems that all of us with ponds under 1 acre are trying to control numbers of both predator and forage at one time or another so a self limiting factor like ovarian parasites might just be the ticket?

I can't stop NBG or LMB because it is nearly impossible to keep the balance in a small pond like mine.

I have to remove YP eggs to keep things in balance which so far has been easy to do and helpful for the waters where the eggs end up being donated to.

I don't have GSF but I imagine it would be a bonus for those who wish they didn't have them.

I guess if you stocked a few SMB you would want some recruitment there.

I'm starting to get huge numbers of GSH so a little ovarian parasite would help me get them back in check.

Not sure I ever able to identify GSH eggs in order to do a positive ID on what color they were.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??