Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#491432 06/07/18 09:08 AM
OP Offline
I’ve got maybe 7 swimming around in our pond. Have had only one for the last few years. Although I found a raided nest last year along the bank. All the eggs had been dug up and eaten. So, I must have had at least two turtles last year. wink
They come over to the feeder every time it goes off. I’m ok with that, as the food is gone in seconds, and the turtles seem very slow.
So, the question is, what else are they eating? I thought snappers ate fish, I guess the painted turtles do too? My pond level is down due to drought and small leak. Am I losing fish, for whatever reason?
I’m assuming the painted turtles eat up the dead fish right away. So, maybe I’m losing fish and don’t realize it?
The other day I fished fairly hard for a few hours. Afterwards when I was hand throwing some fish food out, a larger YP came up towards the shore, swimming upside down. I thought maybe it was one I had on earlier, but didn’t land and was stressed. It hit the bank, flipped over and swam off.. I have no idea what that was all about. Practicing backstroke? Maybe my increased turtles are cleaning up??
These are fairly large painted turtles. In the 7 to 9 inch range across the shell..
thx
Jeff

Last edited by SetterGuy; 06/07/18 09:09 AM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
I think that most people worry about the turtles at first, but we tend to relax our concerns after a while.

First off, eradicating turtles will be a lesson in futility. Build a pond and they will come, and keep coming.

Secondly, I think of them more as pond vultures rather than something like GBH's or otters. I'm sure a turtle gets lucky every now and again, but they are not out there slaughtering our stock, and may be more of a benefit than we realize...by cleaning up the dead and dying.

Now, I told a bow-fishing buddy the other day that if I get more than three snappers showing up at feeding time that he was more than welcome to thin the herd. I have not seen any sliders or painted turtles at my pond this year, but there will be a limit to how many can be sponging off the feed too. I just don't think my buddy will eat those. I may have to feed them to the snappers if they get too abundant. Turtles will eat other turtles.

Turtles will eat just about anything they can catch. Vegetation is easy to catch and so are sick/dying and dead fish or other animals that die near by. A snake might be easier to catch than a fish.

The alligator snapper is very rare around my neck of the woods, in fact, I have only heard of people seeing them. But, they will actually lure a fish with it's worm-like tongue to catch them for dinner. These turtles are probably the biggest threat as they are considered the largest freshwater turtle. I would hate to see what a 200 pound alligator turtle would do to a stocked pond. "FEED ME!"

Fish on!,
Noel
OP Offline
Thanks Noel. We’ve had a few snappers over the years, but my wife will absolutely not swim in the pond if we have snappers or snakes. So, we don’t let them hang around. She’s fine with painted turtles, although the ones we have now are fairly large. You can also see the moss on their shells as they float around. Ironically we have no “turtle island” for them to hang out and catch some sun. These guys stay floating or swimming 100% of the time. No resting on the bank even.
Not much vegetation in our pond, so I’m wondering what they eat. Hopefully I’m not losing that many fish. I know they will catch very few if any healthy fish, but if I’ve got a lot of sick or dying fish, I’d like to know.

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
I'm not privy to the type of plants that turtles eat. It's probably a wide variety which may explain your lack of plants. Crawdads can really mow down plant life too if you have an abundance of them.

Animals, in general, will clean up dead fish in a hurry. When I drained my pond a couple years ago it had maybe 1000 - 2 to 4 inch GSF and the snapping turtles, raccoons, possums, herons, etc. had them gone in a couple of weeks which was a real blessing because it stunk to high heaven.

If you are worried about fish loss and the turtles hiding the fact by eating the carcasses before you can see them...I understand your concern. I would spend time at the pond looking for fish heads/remains, or scales sparkling in the shallows, or signs of a "turtle gatherings" at the banks. Apparently water turtles must eat in the water in order to swallow so any signs of half eaten dead fish will be in the water. Otherwise I would suspect land mammals if the remains are on dry land.

Fish on!,
Noel
OP Offline
Well, I’m not seeing any of that (fish remains or scales), and the fish I’m catching seem healthy. So, I’m guessing the turtles are just hanging out. I’ve got pretty steep banks, so I’ve got very little vegetation. Not super clear water either, which helps keep vegetation down.

Otter attack in 2023
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lusk sez, "anytime a turtle catches a fish, the fish deserved it".

I expect they catch an occasional fish but they perform a service by eating the sick, dying or dead ones.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
OP Offline
I agree. I’ve got no problems with them being there. Just wondering since I usually have one or two, and now I’ve got seven.. Am I losing more (sick and or dying) fish than I was before? I never see any at the pond. I’ve got blue and green harrons, kingfishers, coons, and possums that are regular visitors. So who knows if I’m losing fish or not.
Still lots are around when the feeder goes off, that’s for sure. grin

Otter attack in 2023
F
F
All this brings to mind a question I've been thinking about. How many sliders or red ear turtles are too many? My pond is about 2 acres and the fish are doing great. I have been fortunant to have a 6 ft tall stand of saw grass growing all around the pond in the very shallow water and it has served many purposes. But lately I have been seeing a lot of floating grass stems.I am at the pond 2 or 3 times everyday and at all feeding times. The most turtles I ever see at one time is always 4. They are about the size of a dinner plate. 2 years ago I had one, then two,then 3....Are they cutting down the grass stalks? At what point on a 2 acre pond would you suggest thinning out the heard> How many is too many?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
M
M
My painted turtles are feed trained and follow my row boat around...i love them

Last year i had teo snappers....the large female laid eggs but they were all eaten by raccoons

The painted turtles eat curly leaf, bugs/larve and injured fish

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP
OP Offline
I have always seen them lined up on logs. They seem to like getting out of the water and sunning themselves. I have no spots for them to sun themselves except the bank. I’ve never seen one on the bank, nor any evidence that they spend time on shore. Mine are always out swimming. Maybe a different variety? I’ve always had several bull frogs along the bank, but just a few smaller bullfrogs, none mature. Still lots of the very large tadpoles, which I believe are bullfrogs. Between the herons and the coons, it’s a rough life living along the shore.

Otter attack in 2023
M
M
my painted turtles only sun themselves on deadfalls if there isn't enough FA or curlyleaf for them to rest on - 99% of the time they're sitting in FA mats. I like having them around and my 4 y/o loves feeding them pellets

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP
Flame #491511 06/08/18 06:16 PM
A
A
Originally Posted By: Flame
All this brings to mind a question I've been thinking about. How many sliders or red ear turtles are too many? My pond is about 2 acres and the fish are doing great. I have been fortunant to have a 6 ft tall stand of saw grass growing all around the pond in the very shallow water and it has served many purposes. But lately I have been seeing a lot of floating grass stems.I am at the pond 2 or 3 times everyday and at all feeding times. The most turtles I ever see at one time is always 4. They are about the size of a dinner plate. 2 years ago I had one, then two,then 3....Are they cutting down the grass stalks? At what point on a 2 acre pond would you suggest thinning out the heard> How many is too many?

Flame, it is possible the cut grass stalks are signs of a beaver. That was the first thing I noticed when I got my unwelcome toothy guest.

Last edited by anthropic; 06/08/18 06:17 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

F
F
pretty sure no beaver but....I do have wood ducks roosting and on the pond. Could they be cutting the grass? I suppose it could be crawdads but don't think I have very many of those. Wouldn't 4 or 5 turtles be enough for a 2 acre pond just to keep any dead stuff cleaned up?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Lunker
Lunker
How about a muskrat?

Shorty #491521 06/08/18 10:31 PM
P
P
+1 on the beaver

T
T
YEP! +2 on the beaver if you see cut off green pieces floating on the waters surface. Look for a hole cut into the dam area under water.. If visibility is low, take a pole(like a broom stick) where u can feel while looking a hole. they will also build a den in the overflow area and travel daily to the pond.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
T
T
For the E Texas guys, Do we have Muskrats here? Never have seen them here.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
D
D
Grass clippings is a sure sign of muskrat. They love to eat the roots of just about anything but really love the roots with some substance. Bulb roots or tuber roots. When we trapped allot of them we grew parsnip in the garden to use as bait.

Look on the sun side of the pond at day break. The side the sun hits first and scan the bank with binoculars. You will see them grooming them self's right at the waters edge every morning. Just doink them with a 22.

I had placed painted turtles in our pond to clean up any un eaten food. After one year they were all gone. Something about our pond they do not like to winter in. Might be the 100% rip rap we have.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
TGW1 #491536 06/09/18 09:46 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: TGW1
For the E Texas guys, Do we have Muskrats here? Never have seen them here.

http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/ondazibe.htm

Shorty #491537 06/09/18 10:22 AM
P
P
Interesting info..... I have never seen any sign of them in my 66 years

F
F
Pat, I think because as you stated before everything is bigger in Texas.....we renamed ours nutria rats!!!! Ha

Flame #491547 06/09/18 07:40 PM
P
P
Now I have see nutria around here , neighbors pond has some

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??