Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bearman, awlakes, mountainman1, 5points, Engr. Mahfuzur
15489 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15490 Members
36 Forums
35705 Topics
486493 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24027
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19377
Dave Davidson1 13432
Bill Cody 12398
Who's Online
18 registered (Flame, NEDOC, LeighAnn, Hammertime75, DADx4, Quarter Acre, Cisco, Brad C, Nate W, Matzilla, SetterGuy, BrianL, Theo Gallus, Pondwish, FireIsHot, Dave Davidson1, Redonthehead, jludwig), 243 Guests and 465 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#490207 - 05/17/18 02:28 PM Cheap DIY algae rake
peachgrower Offline

Loc: Nashville, AR
Built this out of some old 4 wheeler ramps I found in our scrap pile at the shop. Its really ugly but does a great job pulling in the FA. Its a little over 5' wide so it gets a tad heavy. Its a pretty good workout also...lol. I have 20 dollars in it. Rope and pool noodles.

The battlefield. shocked

Oh and thanks Dr Luke for pointing me towards the imgur mobile page. works great!

The pond pic was the day we stocked 30# of tilapia from Rex. I will try to get some pics of what they have done so far. They are not messing with the mats..which is good, I can get those. They are hammering the submerged FA on the levee right now. Some in the shallows, but huge clearing on the levee. My water is SUPER clear, never had a bloom...but working towards it.

#490219 - 05/17/18 04:11 PM Re: Cheap DIY algae rake [Re: peachgrower]
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Loc: Dallas & Wills Point, Tx
Cool rake

Wow that is some large blankets of FA

Is the water shallow that far out?

Chems/Tilapia/Rake = all pieces of this puzzle

#490222 - 05/17/18 04:34 PM Re: Cheap DIY algae rake [Re: peachgrower]
peachgrower Offline

lol, no that is the deep end actually. We live on a hill, so wind blows most of the time. It was blowing out of the south that day so it was congregated on the levee. Its much easier raking when its like that. I raked a bunch on the day I took that picture. It got way ahead of me. Hope to get some pics of the bottom that the tilapia have cleared today. Really amazing how clean the spots are. They are just as clean as if fish had cleared them to spawn, but I never find beds where the clear spots are...and the spots are not circular...actually not any shape at all. They are very large also. Not a drop in the spots. You can actually see pebbles of gravel and the colors of the gravel. I haven't seen that in a long time.

I'm eyeing some vegetation in a couple other ponds in the area to put in also. Hopefully to take up some of the phosphorus. Between the tilapia binding it up and eating...introducing a plant of some sort that is NOT FA...as it is really the only plant I have...and raking, maybe I can fish something besides top water in the clear spots by the end of the summer...lol.

#490224 - 05/17/18 04:40 PM Re: Cheap DIY algae rake [Re: peachgrower]
peachgrower Offline

couple more pictures of the pond and FA

That is looking south then south west towards the house. That is the levee I'm standing on. Shallowest towards the southern most tip. The floating DIY Remington Feeder in the background. As you can see, little to no plant life. Except for FA. Will try to get pics of the plant I'm talking about and post to verify what it is. Would like to get it going in the shallows.

#490245 - 05/18/18 12:23 AM Re: Cheap DIY algae rake [Re: peachgrower]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
Nice job on the rake. I had FA almost that bad on my main pond a couple years ago. Not quite but almost.

The trick I have found is getting started controlling it early.

The tilapia are going to like the fresh fast growing stuff. Imagine if you were at a salad bar. Would you go for the fresh lettuce just put out, or stuff that had been there for a week all wilted and dead looking? The fresh green stuff on the bottom is the actively growing stuff with the nutrients for the fish. The floating mats are the dead/dying stuff the fish likely would only eat if they had nothing else to choose from.

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Today's Birthdays
4D Ranch, gunsmoke
Recent Posts
New to aeration, need help choosing system
by Hammertime75
Help Stocking my Pond in Central Virginia
by Quarter Acre
fhm question in 4 yr old pond
by SetterGuy
HOT!
by Dave Davidson1
10:17 AM
A Lighthearted Question for TJ
by Bob-O
10:13 AM
Chronicles of stocking Hybrid Striped Bass......
by NEDOC
10:10 AM
No bass recruitment in our lake??
by DavidB
09:30 AM
Sourcing alternate genetics in Iowa
by Acoursey
08:58 AM
Rotenone applicator in south central Kansas
by NEDOC
07:38 AM
how to watch podcast and when is it?