Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 719 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
C
C
Same here sparkie, we scrambled to put our taps in when we had freezing nights and warm days. The day we tapped we had gushers in most trees. Had to empty twice a day for a day or two.

Seems way to early to be putting taps in. Then warm day and night the last 3 days (not quite 70, but low 60s) Not much above a trickle. Supposed to have warm all week but chilly at night, just not freezing or below freezing. Then next week back to more typical daytime highs in 30s and below freezing at night.

Do we keep the taps in and hope that they slow down during the cold weather and then they start back up again when it warms up during day again? Or do we remove them and redrill new holes at the next warm spell?

We have only about 40-50 gallons and may just have to boil it down if more isn't coming soon. We have no way of telling the sugar content.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Don't redrill, too hard on the tree. It takes 4 weeks or so for a taphole to dry up, I would wait and see.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
D
D
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Don't redrill, too hard on the tree. It takes 4 weeks or so for a taphole to dry up, I would wait and see.

I fully agree with sprkplug too. Leave the ones you have.

How far north are you in Michigan? We are just north of London ontario and its just starting to flow good. Have only been tapped since this past Thursday.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
C
C
Dono, you are 42.98 latitude and we in Grand Rapids, MI are 42.96 latitude, so almost dead on in the N/S dimension.

Lake MI is a big heat sink and it has a considerable warming influence on us, plus the lake effect moisture. It can be 10 degrees warmer at our house than at the lake depending on the lake is cooling the air or warming the air (in winter).

We had the big heat wave over the weekend, last night was around 50 degrees, will get 65 this week during day, then by weekend go back to cold days and nights, snow, and below freezing a few nights next week.

We had a few days of cold nights and warm days and good flow. This weekend nothing to speak of and I doubt we get much today as it is steady warm, and a warm rain smile

I have a thin rim of ice left. We may have early ice out this week and then make some new ice/snow next week. I doubt the kids get to skate this year anymore but oh well, they had a few good weekends for that.

D
D
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Dono, you are 42.98 latitude and we in Grand Rapids, MI are 42.96 latitude, so almost dead on in the N/S dimension.

Lake MI is a big heat sink and it has a considerable warming influence on us, plus the lake effect moisture. It can be 10 degrees warmer at our house than at the lake depending on the lake is cooling the air or warming the air (in winter).

We had the big heat wave over the weekend, last night was around 50 degrees, will get 65 this week during day, then by weekend go back to cold days and nights, snow, and below freezing a few nights next week.

We had a few days of cold nights and warm days and good flow. This weekend nothing to speak of and I doubt we get much today as it is steady warm, and a warm rain smile

I have a thin rim of ice left. We may have early ice out this week and then make some new ice/snow next week. I doubt the kids get to skate this year anymore but oh well, they had a few good weekends for that.

Very cool that your just about the same as us here. We are about 20 minutes to lake Huron so the climate is just about identical. Have to get you to hook me up with some golf destinations in Michigan.

We only seen about 30 gallons yesterday from 170 trees. Hoping that after this warm shot here it runs again. We are going to finish off what we did get and get ready for darker stuff next week.

C
C
Dono, you are really all in on this project with 170 trees! Wow! We used home made spiles last year, our first year. This year I bought spiles with 3' drop tubes and modified my collecting buckets to allow for a cover with a tight fit around the drop tube. This should help with the bugs/debris in the collecting buckets. We only tapped 20 trees and some are 'duds' I wonder what makes some trees that look like good mature sugar maples not produce much.

It is also weird that in some of our trees the 3" drywall screw that we screwed in the tree below the spile to hold up the handle of our collecting bucket is gushing syrup in a plume down the side of the tree and the spile doesn't seem to be...

My wife started boiling yesterday am to process what we have. Had to shut down the boil over night but hope to finish today. We boil on a commercial stove in the basement. We try to ventilate but the house gets hot. We try to direct steam out basement windows. It is wild to be boiling sap when it is 60 degrees outside!

Last edited by canyoncreek; 02/22/17 09:37 AM.
D
D
The sap will run both directions in the tree up and down in one day cycle. The screw can let pressure off the vein your in and slow the sap production.

We finish with a propane turkey cooker or deep fryer. It is best to fill bottles with the syrup warm 180 ish then put the bottle on its top right away to clean or sterilize the cap. The cap will seal like caning and will keep mold free for very long time. Once open we keep it in the fridge because it is thicker when cold.

We have a stainless steel flask and a hydrometer to get the sugar content right. If you use a ladle you can get the feel for it how it runs off when pouring it out of the ladle. The size of the bubbles too is an indicator your close.

We have about 60 buckets and the rest on line. Its alot less work.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I second the tubing. It's a LOT less work. It does lack the romantic aspect of the buckets, however. We intend to up our tubing count next season.

D
D
Man I think we are done here now too. Only got one batch and the sap has started to look cloudy and the white moths showed up. Leaving the taps in with the hopes it runs next week with some cooler nights.

Last night with my window open I could hear the toads thrilling. Thats not good for the sap run.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 02/25/17 09:34 AM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Sorry to hear that Don. Our taps are still in, and it looks like there might be another run, but the damage is done. Trees are trying to bud, and that means the end is here. There was a piece in our local paper about it, and the sugar maker interviewed is claiming this to be the worst maple season in years.

Seems like the spring weather is becoming more unsettled all the time down here.

C
C
Hats off to my wife and kids who faithfully emptied the buckets and stored the sap till past weekend. The warm weather stopped the flow so we decided to boil what we had. This was our output. Seems like a tiny bit for how many totes of sap we boiled off smile

It looks darker than I remembered the first batch of the season being last year. I don't have a sugar percent meter but we watched temperature and 'sheeting' and I think we hit it pretty good on this batch.

Taps are still in but crazy cold on Sat and Sun, warm again today. We are supposed to have a few consecutive days of below freezing at night and in 40s during day so hopefully we will get a few more buckets to empty.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Way to go, canyon!

D
D
Well done. Our first batch was darker too this year.

C
C
bringing this thread up on the Autumnal Equinox of 2017, although it is going to be 95 degrees today and not in anyway fall weather. However we are seeing red leaves and leaves are falling...

I have a 6 burner commercial stove in the basement to boil sap and do very small runs maybe making a few gallons of final product a year for personal use and to give away.

My goal this year is to have better pans to boil down in. We were using metal roasting pans which worked OK but limited the future use of those pans for sure... I would like to make some custom stainless pans with pipe and valve piped in the front for easy draining.

The dimensions of my cooktop is 31x36. I have 2 options I'm weighing out.

I can make 1 stainless pan, 4" sides (would you go 6"?) 30x36 and cover all 6 burners at once. This is cheapest in terms of fabricating time and cost but would be a little heavy/bulky to ship.

Or I could make smaller pans that would fit over one set of burners (front and back) at 12" x 30" and do 2 or even 3 of them side by side. If I did 3 then figuring in width of the sides I would probably have to do 11 or 11.5" x 30" so they all fit side by side. Cost per small pan is about $150 plus maybe $20 shipping. If I make 3 of them group shipping might be $30.

rough cost for the single large pan is about $275 shipped.

(for those who understand these numbers this would be 18 gauge stainless steel of the 304 variety)

We aren't in any race to boil fast, we tend to just start it in the morning and tend it all day. If it isn't done we have been known to turn it off let it sit overnight and start again the next day although having confessed that, I hope I don't expose our extreme ignorance on the chemistry of boiling sap and not ruining a batch..

Should I consider thicker gauge steel?

Thanks for your advice in advance

C
C
One other dumb question. We had a really tough time getting one of our taps out of the tree this spring without cracking it off (plastic barb fitting) I tried with a few tools but didn't want to crack it off. I forgot about it and now just realized it is still in the tree. Will it start running again this coming spring? If I have to crack it off to get it out, will it fill in even if the part of the plastic part is stuck in the tree? I can drill out the remaining plastic I suspect but not sure of best timing to do that now.

I do notice that some of the holes we tapped 2 years ago are not filled in yet.

If I do have to crack it off and drill it out then I would want to use a new hole on a different side of that same tree for this year's sap run rather than crack it off in the winter, drill it out, put a fresh tap in the freshly drilled hole?

Last edited by canyoncreek; 09/22/17 01:30 PM.
N
N
I know nothing about make syrup but a large pan make warp with heat, may want thicker bottom on pan.

61 acre water shed lake. bass, channel cat, black crappie, wiper, walleye, redear sunfish, blue catfish and bluegill. To many bullhead and common carp
http://www.pondboss.com/news/videos/why-subscribe-to-pond-boss
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I don't think I would go any thicker. Stainless is a poor conductor of heat, and if you're using wood for fuel then a few extra sticks won't really matter, but propane is another story. A lot of commercial pans are 22 gage.

I see an appeal for multiple, smaller pans vs one larger pan for those times when you're only boiling a small amount....no need to accumulate "x" amount of sap before lighting the fire. And, if you have enough sap to use all three, then you can simply add the contents of one pan to another as it reduces. This would allow a safe level of sap, and keep you boiling on less propane. How many trees are you planning on tapping? Also, consider a 6" height on the pans unless you keep a very small boil.

I would leave the broken tap alone. The tree will heal around it. Re-tapping the same hole will likely lead to greatly reduced sap yield. The tree closes off the wound internally, so even opening up the old hole will not be as good as a fresh tap, moved 6" or so horizontally.

C
C
Thanks sprkplug! I see the value of having a few smaller pans. I use natural gas so supply and cost isn't an issue. We have a very small time operation and usually can finish the complete season boil in 2-3 days. I'll for sure go for the 6" sides.

Last season we tapped I think 18-20 trees. Some were duds and barely produced, others gushed even if we had 2 or 3 buckets per tree. Funny how you can't judge a sugar maple by its cover...

In fact I had some maple syrup and pancakes this am. The maple syrup in that jar must have gone a bit long as it was so thick it was stringy/tacky and had a very earthy/woodsy after taste. Most of our other batches is watery and just a hint of sweetness compared to the 'store stuff'.

L
L
I'm thinking of having a nice SS evaporator pan built up also. I was using a large 15 gallon + brewers pot on a raging hot fire pit, but when I got it to a good boil, the sap would splash up on the sides and caramelize to get rinsed back in again. It isn't a nasty flavor, but it just isn't right for syrup.

Not to mention the "fun" of cleaning the pot back off. It took a lot of stove cleaner!

L
L
Originally Posted By: nehunter
I know nothing about make syrup but a large pan make warp with heat, may want thicker bottom on pan.

I have seen a pan that had ridges across the inside to help with strength and another with a dam that could be pulled where a section is used for the new sap, and another is used for finishing in the same pan. That looked pretty "sweet" as it had a finishing area with a spigot in a lower area for draining the almost finished sap to be taken to a stove for completion.

A simpler version of this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/322676329620?chn=ps&dispItem=1

-Mark

C
C
Found the guy who fabricates for a fair/affordable price on CL and he can ship most anywhere.

C
C
Scheduled to have near 60 degree days and cold nights. The sap should be flowing heavy this week. Anyone else have their taps out yet?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
We aren't doing any this year, we still have a couple gallons left over from last year. Thanks.

Bryan

B
B
So a long time coming, but back in 2015 sprkplug was generous to share some of his Black Walnut Syrup. To prove that sometimes the turtle does indeed cross the finish line, this evening I opened the vintage March 2015 Black Walnut Syrup.

DELICIOUS!

I don't know if sprkplug sells their Black Walnut Syrup but if they do I strongly recommend it. Good stuff indeed.

sprkplug again thank you for the bottle and I apologize for taking SO insanely long to break the wax seal and enjoy your Black Walnut Syrup.

Attached Images
bwalnut0.jpg
A
Online Content
A
Hello.

Comparison between tapped and untapped maples.

https://www-lessucriers-com.transla...tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fr&_x_tr_pto=wapp
A+

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass