Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,071
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Bob Lusk, LeighAnn, Shorthose, catscratch, Justin W, Requa, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing), 775 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#489836 05/09/18 12:03 PM
DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
So I've been working through the archives on LMB stocking, harvest, culling, feeding, et al. I'm getting a pretty clear picture that a dominant (excess) class of 10-12 inch LMB can easily occur, and that many people implement either a cut-off (cull everything below 10-12 inches) or slot (at 10-12 inches). Seems logical with all that is documented in the archives.
For my BOW (2.5 acre pond, 14 feet deep max, ave 6-8 feet, 40 yrs old, aeration since 2016), I learned I didn't have any other species besides BCP and BG. That was based on 2 yrs of fishing AND a shock survey. I'd been catching 12-15 inch BCP the first year routinely, but after 2016 they became more rare, and lots of 5-7 inch skinny BCP began to appear. Per my discussion with the pond pro's who did the shock survey, we think there had been some repeated winter kills before the air went in, which effectively culled off all but the hardiest BCP, which allowed them to grow big based on nil competition.
I'm also well read on BCP now, and wouldn't have chosen to have them in this (too small for crappie) pond personally, but that ship had long sailed. SO, after rolling around different plans, I decided to stock LMB for my apex predator last October (I put in 150 5-7 inchers), along with RES (for snail control), YP (cuz I like them) and a small addition of BG (for new genetics). I've been working on culling every BCP that's caught as well. Goal is for 200+ this year.
So my question is, when would the ideal time be to begin LMB culling? I'm kind of hoping to see some 10 inch plus LMB by this fall. But I am also hoping to grow them big enough (with a mouth gape to match) to begin feeding on the stunted crappie. I was thinking on waiting till next spring before doing any LMB cull or harvest. Sound right?
FWIW, we've actually been catching some of the LMB stockers already, and they are 6-7 inches and FAT!
Almost forgot, at the recommendation of the pond pro, we also added 65 lbs (about 8 gallons) of GSH in mid April, to give my stocker LMB a boost. We tend to have lots of FA, and he was thinking the GSH may even get a spawn off under the FA.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
B
B
Start culling in year 3 for the LMB based on relative weights.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
P
P
From what I’ve gathered, with BCP you want small hungry LMB. It was suggested to remove LMB when they reached 14”. Maybe the pros will enlighten us with BCP in our ponds

DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
From what I’ve gathered, with BCP you want small hungry LMB. It was suggested to remove LMB when they reached 14”. Maybe the pros will enlighten us with BCP in our ponds

I almost went the HSB and SMB route for my apex predators, Pat. But my pond pro wasn't convinced they'd do very well in my small BOW (at least as the only apex predators). I think I'll still put both of them in for bonus fish, via ladder stocking a few advanced size fish.

After studying this pond for the past 3 seasons, I am convinced the theory that winter kill culls has been what allowed some of the BCP to get large. And the big BCP continue to do well, based on their body condition. Any of them over 12 inches are sure fat. (my scale keeps falling in the pond, cuz some knucklehead (ME!) keeps leaving it on the dock.)

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: BrianL
Start culling in year 3 for the LMB based on relative weights.

So that would be spring of 2020 correct (if stocked in Oct 2017)?
And WR of 100%? Or do some people dip down to 90% or higher?

B
B
Based off what my pro told me to do then yes spring of 2020, and you will cull based on RW less than 100%. if you are catching fish with numbers in the 90%+ harvest 10#s per acre, but if you have lower RW in 70-80s harvest 20-25#s per acre.

I think what I will do is have them do a shock survey and let them cull my LMB for me. That way I'm not culling my most aggressive fish.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline

I think what I will do is have them do a shock survey and let them cull my LMB for me. That way I'm not culling my most aggressive fish.

I was planning on a repeat shock survey in '20 anyway, and I love the idea of culling that way (to avoid taking the aggressive biters).
Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted By: DrLuke

I was planning on a repeat shock survey in '20 anyway, and I love the idea of culling that way (to avoid taking the aggressive biters).
Thanks for the tip!

If you shock would you mind posting the report, please? Always fun to see the population structure of different ponds.

P
P
How do you know that the shocked fish are not your aggressive LMB also

DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
How do you know that the shocked fish are not your aggressive LMB also

You don't, but it will at least be some smaller random number since they weren't caught via hook and line.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DrLuke it sounds like you are on track and well informed. I like your plan for your goals. I think the harvest info provided is good. Just a note here. Those first stocked LMB with the extra forage should have very good RW and you probably should not harvest them but instead manage and harvest from their offspring. The RW approach should give you those results as well. My best advice is to watch what transpires and formulate exact harvest plans based on what you are seeing. Decisions based on examined facts are always a good option. It leaves you flexibility to adapt to your circumstances. In the interim watch and check for all types of spawning and year class advancement and RW in the BC and LMB as well as forage species.

DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks ewest! I'm enjoying the journey and have a little quiet optimism for the future. In my entire life, I've never caught a LMB that was 2 lbs. If we are able to get a few up to 5 lbs, I would be extremely happy.

DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
Picked up a stocker LMB while fishing. Lovin that fat belly!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Nice looking little bass

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought so too, Dave. And I was thinking about that black stripe down his/her side. Reading through the LMB archives, there was a discussion about how to identify individual LMB by body marking. I might have to start a picture file of these young, aggressive biters and see if I'm catching them more than once.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ordinarily, due to body length, that would be a cull candidate. However, that sucker is a keeper.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
So I wanted to post an update on my LMB stocker growth. These fish were stocked Oct 2107 at 5-7 inches (here in south central Iowa). They have BG for a forage base, plus 8 gallons of GSH I added in April 2018. This is a 31 yr old 2.5 acre pond. Existing species are BG, BCP. Fisherwoman is the Perrin Pond Boss aka Mrs P. :-) This LMB was a bit over 14 inches. I lost my scale to the massive rains we've had, so no weight. Mea culpa. I've got one on order.

This LMB I caught the day before, and was right at 14 inches.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails