Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (H20fwler, BillyE, esshup, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 746 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
It would take a lot of baitfish to grow Goliath that big, Plus about 37 years.

Even a small Bullshark could be dangerous to swimmer I think.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 03/03/14 09:35 AM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I think an episode of River Monsters where the host was trying for bull sharks he caught a very large Goliath grouper. That thing was amazing!

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I think an episode of River Monsters where the host was trying for bull sharks he caught a very large Goliath grouper. That thing was amazing!

I saw that one. It was pretty cool...

Im doing some pond stuff this weekend, Dumping a bunch of brood stock adult wild shiners in an attempt to boost any reproduction and try to maintain any recruitment I might be getting. I figured if I dump a bunch right before they spawn this spring it would help out.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
S
S
Does your pond have a halocline? Or do the fish keep it stired up enough so the salt stays in suspension permanently?

When diving along the Mexican Yucatan coast and in the cenote's I often ran into a halocline. The heavier sea water would sink, and the lighter fresh water would be on top. An intermediate layer a few inches thick in the transition always a shimmery area where view of anything was distorted. Above was clear, below was clear, but at the halocline the water was really cool looking.

Having not been exposed to it, the average person might assume the two waters would mix immediately, but the do not. It takes some wave agitation or time for them to equalize and the heavier and lighter water to become one.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: snrub
Does your pond have a halocline? Or do the fish keep it stired up enough so the salt stays in suspension permanently?

I have no salt to my knowledge..I have not actually tested the water. The well that feeds it is the same one that provides drinking water so I hope not.

S
S
ok, my misunderstanding.

I thought you living where you do you might have some brackish groundwater and you were putting salt water fish in water that had low levels of salt. You are putting them in completely fresh water.

My mistake.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: snrub
ok, my misunderstanding.

I thought you living where you do you might have some brackish groundwater and you were putting salt water fish in water that had low levels of salt. You are putting them in completely fresh water.

My mistake.

I have been thinking about getting a cheap salinity tester from the pet store and test it to find out...Perhaps I will remeber next time I am buying dog food.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Have you had your water tested by Fla. extension service? May have salinity as one of the tests. La. reports salinity on water tests.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I realesed 36 large wild shiners for a few extra breeders come this spring wich is only a few weeks away. I hope to do it a few more times before then.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Those were some nice sized GSH. Hopefully a few will not be eaten before they can pull of a spawn. At least with them being from the wild, they should have instincts to keep them from being complete easy pickings... That is the problem with hatchery raised shiners. They are kept in brood ponds without predators their whole life. When they get stocked into a pond with predators, they face a steep learning curve.

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Those were some nice sized GSH. Hopefully a few will not be eaten before they can pull of a spawn. At least with them being from the wild, they should have instincts to keep them from being complete easy pickings... That is the problem with hatchery raised shiners. They are kept in brood ponds without predators their whole life. When they get stocked into a pond with predators, they face a steep learning curve.

They were defiantly actively doing predation avoidance maneuvers, (real jumpy). As large as they are only a few of the predators can eat them at this point I think. (I am hoping)
Also, with the water being cold for the type of predators in this pond right now might add survival percent until spawn temps by slowing the predation down some.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 02/12/14 02:13 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yeah, I had not given water temps into consideration. What are the temps currently?

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Low 60's I would guess.
Pool was at 65 but hot tub cycled through it once over night.

Forgot again to get a thermometer for the pond.

GSH are pretty spry at those temps...My predators it's low 70's I think before they start getting real energetic.

Although Last time I went fishing in the river the Speckled sea trout and flounder were hitting artificial plastics on a steady retrieve, water temps were in the very high 50's. I think those two my be the lower temp tolerant of the bunch.

If I can get 50-100 more that size before spring spawn, That should help out what if any recruitment chances I might have for the GSH this year.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 02/13/14 08:32 AM.

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Toured the pond this weekend and refilled the feeder.

I saw lots of tilapia beds around the shoreline.

I think the CNBG have spawned already, I saw lots of 1-2" babies. Those are way to small to be last years and I didnt see them during the winter months.

I fished around the feeder with dead shrimp and live minnows, I caught two large "bream".

after most the pellets were gone I saw a flounder crusing the surface inside grass line along the bank not 2 feet from me. It sure seemed to me it was nosing around for pellets that might have drifted into the grass. Of coarse by the time I got my phone out of my pocket and fumbled with the stupid security code unlock it casually swam off.

The pond seems to be loaded with forage sized fish so I am thinking the predators are not real hungy. Maybe once the water warms more they will be feeding more heavily and I can catch somthing to show off.

I did catch a shark we estimated at near 200 Lbs off shore jax though.. :-)

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I don't think the CNBG babies are from this year; I think they were born late last year.

Did you put the shark in the pond? hehe.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
The shark was just too much biomass.....

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: djstauder
I don't think the CNBG babies are from this year; I think they were born late last year.

Did you put the shark in the pond? hehe.

could be from late last year spawn, but they are very small. we have had 70 - 80 degree days for at least a month with a few cool evenings. The tilapipa are in full spawn mode. I figured the CNBG would spawn first but it does seem a little early. either way it looks like I will have lots of small fish to be eaten.

the shark was a sandbar shark ... If it was a Bullshark, WHO knows...LOL

Wish I cold have gotten a video of the flounder crusing the shallow grass...

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I hope he doesn't get too spooked. Jack Crevalle are very much a schooling species. Without buddies, he may not be happy... Need to catch him a few buddies!

CJ,
I have been thinking and with how well the forage fish seem to be doing I am going to add a buddy for the Jack. I do want to wait and verify it made it through the stocking and cold season before I add another. Becuse if I add one then see one I will not know for sure wich it is. But I think you are right about it doing better with a partner than all alone.

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Visited the pond yeterday...Thought I would give an update

I found a spot I could load up on inland silversides and thought I would load the pond up with them.....Wrong...almost all of them died .... THey seem to very sensative...I will have to try a new way of handling them to get better survival. I read a thread once about how to handle threadfin shad gently....I try that way and see what I get .

Walked around the pond a did a little netting.
Seems the loads of small CNBG I saw earlier are very nearly gone. I am hoping more are on the way from this years spawn.. I think as the water warmed the predators started feeding more heavily.

I was seeing lots of recruitment before So I thought some of those would grow out and give me more breeders in time to feed the hungry mouths....Maybe not

I fished around, Had someting hit my beetle spin, it broke the hook right in half , never saw what it was.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"I fished around, Had someting hit my beetle spin, it broke the hook right in half , never saw what it was."

Great way to end a report!!! (especially from your pond)

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Operation Koi Removal has started...

I’ll start off saying I now know why the koi have not been thinned out naturally by osprey etc, as they are extremely strong and Wiley fish don’t let the pretty colors fool you. I had 4 in the cast net, they went bonkers and actually popped a small hole in the horn of the net and 3 of the 4 found it somehow and busted it open wider and flew through the air back to freedom. After one cast they disappeared for the day.

Here is the one I did remove, plus a bonus flounder in the net.
"See video". Flounder looked healthy and fat, they have not been in very long so not too much growth noticed yet but it sure seemed healthy so that’s a good sign.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 06/09/14 09:15 AM.

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
the koi are getting smart and Me jumping the gun, I tossed the net when they were a little off the bank and in too deep of water and they out ran the net and disapeared for the day. I did however pull these back in the net.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
That's a huge shiner (if that's what it is).

And nice CNBG!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
What is #3?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Isn't #3 a tilapia???

Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023