Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (dg84s, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Fishingadventure, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 798 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#488851 04/19/18 09:29 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Alright so I think I opened my mouth and ruined my plans...

We built our 3 acre pond in Arkansas about a year and a half ago and I've had big plans for a cool water species fishery from the very beginning. It is a dug pond with no real dam/levee and one side is about 18ft deep. We had planned to use night time aeration in the summer to keep the water temps in an acceptable range. We were going to try and raise YP, SMB, HSB, with HBG and RES more than likely and possible WE someday. Sounded like a unique and fun fishery to me!

Well I was getting ready to try and get some YP and I came across a sheet that had been published in 2002 called approved species for aquaculture in Arkansas. It had all of my species listed except YP which was basically the most important one in my mind. Well I thought the list must be outdated and maybe they have since added YP, I mean Vive heard of people catching them in Arkansas, just rarely. Well a few emails and phone calls with the AGFC later and I now know that they are not approved and it would be nearly impossible for me to get approved to have them and even then sourcing them from an approved fishery would be very difficult.

So, back to the drawing board. At this point I'm thinking I'll probably abandon the cool water species because the YP were the ones I was most looking forward to. What recommendations do you guys have? I had originally wanted to stay away from LMB as they seem to overpopulate and stunt in most of the ponds Vive fished around here. I do realize most of those ponds are not really managed and that could have a positive effect if done correctly.

I guess some important information would be my goals for the pond. I like catching fish! They don't all need to be trophies and I would sacrifice trophies for consistent catches. I also like to eat fish so something that is good for eating would be ideal. I suppose those are my main goals, consistent action and edible fish. I am considering having a combination of Hybrid Crappie and Hybrid or regular BG as my primary focus/forage species. I would still like to do the HSB as they seem versatile and fun. In your opinion would the HSB be able to keep the Hybrid crappie and HBG in check? What other recommendations do you have?

I am a little discouraged that I wont be able to do the YP as I have really been looking forward to them. I kind of feel like if I hadn't said anything I probably could have just had Rainman bring me some and been fine but now knowing that I'm not allowed I just wouldn't feel right about it. Any ideas you guys have are welcome, only thing in the pond so far is FHM.

J
J
There is a yellow perch population in Bull Shoals Lake, in Arkansas.

Yellow perch are sold in Missouri.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Arkansas has an interesting read....the state says this on unlisted species....Restricted Species
Some species are well established in Arkansas aquaculture but under criticism at regional and/or national levels.
While we do not currently restrict the trade in these species, persons possessing or desiring to possess these
species are requested to apply to AGFC for a Restricted Species Possession Permit. .... Not required?

I know some large commercial Arkansas hatcheries have imported and sold YP fingerlings in the past. Kentucky only allows transport through their state only on Yellow Perch, even though YP are in most rivers and lakes in the state. Regardless, you wouldn't get me delivering a restricted species and violating the Lacey Act of 1900...been there, done that and am about $75,000 poorer for it....

https://www.ncrac.org/files/page/files/AquacultureCleanList.pdf

Last edited by Rainman; 04/20/18 04:49 AM.

I would certainly dig a bit deeper into the state regulations and see if you can get your dreams back. If not, I would explore bumping up the SMB and HSB stocking numbers to replace the YP in your original plan. Substituting HCP and HBG/BG sounds like a good direction to explore too. I don't have much experience in pond meistering, but my novice logic brings me to this advise.

Will you be feeding pellets?

Do you have a minnow population established?

What other forage bases does the pond have naturally?

Fish on!,
Noel
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Look into Rainman's comment - "are requested to apply to AGFC for a Restricted Species Possession Permit". Note in your application where in AK YP are reported besides Bull Shoals Lake. If your pond is isolated from stream impacts (flooding) note that in your permit application.

Options - HSB should be able with confidence keep limited reproduction of hybrid crappie controlled. It would be beneficial IMO to first establish FHM and GSH as food source. If you use SMB and HSB both should be able to control offspring from HBG. When small HBCP & HBG (1"-2.5") are common cut back on the pellet feeding of the HSB until fewer small hybrids are present.

Anyone know if hybrid crappie are available as pellet trained fish?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/20/18 09:02 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
J
I think that where you are, your pond water might get too warm for yellow perch, unless you have a continuous source of cool aerated water.

R
RER Offline
R
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
I think that where you are, your pond water might get too warm for yellow perch, unless you have a continuous source of cool aerated water.

I have a gut feeling if he babies them like he mentioned with night time aeration only during summer and with his pond size and depth YP should work.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I am not at all sure HSB can control hybrid crappie. The are not like HBG in reproductive ability. See yellow below.

Evaluation of F1 Hybrid Crappies as Sport Fish in Small Impoundments
MICHAEL L. HOOE and D. HOMER BUCK

Illinois Natural History Survey, Sam Parr Biological Station, Rural Route 1, Box 174, Kinmundy, Illinois 62854, USA

Abstract.—Growth and reproductive characteristics of reciprocal F1 and F2 hybrid crappies–white crappies Pomoxis annularis × black crappies P. nigromaculatus–were examined to determine if hybrids are better suited for stocking in small impoundments than their parent species. Relative weight gains of the reciprocal age-0 F1 and F2 hybrid crappies were not significantly different (P = 0.55), but the relationship may have been masked by differences in initial sizes of the test fish. Second-year relative growth rates of both reciprocal F1 hybrids were significantly greater than growth of either of the parent species and, with one exception, than growth of the reciprocal F2 hybrids. The reciprocal F1 hybrid crappies were capable of backcrossing with their parent species, and both reciprocal F1 hybrid male crappies had viabilities equal to those of their parent species. Egg viability for the F1 hybrid black crappie female × white crappie male appeared equal to that of the parent species and greater than that of its reciprocal hybrid. Recruitment in ponds was highest for the pure species, intermediate for the F1 hybrids, and lowest for the F2 hybrids. This study confirmed that F1 hybrid crappies may offer a viable alternative to stocking parent species in small impoundments, the F1 hybrid white crappie female × black crappie male being preferable to its reciprocal hybrid. We recommend that hybrid crappies be used only on an experimental basis pending a more thorough evaluation of the incidence and effects of backcrossing with parent species.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

SRAC
It is important to note that when hybrid crappie are stocked into ponds after successful feed training they can easily revert to natural foods. Hybrid crappie will not feed on floating pellets, which makes it difficult to observe them feeding in ponds. A slow-sinking feed can be used to keep hybrid crappie “on feed” once restocked into commercial ponds, but even with slow-sinking feeds it is difficult to observe crappie feeding on commercial diets.

https://srac.tamu.edu/serveFactSheet/277

Last edited by ewest; 04/20/18 10:51 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday