Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,133
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Bill Cody, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B), 964 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#488547 04/13/18 11:02 AM
T
Twar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have around 60 3 hole cinder blocks I am planning on using a structure in a 1 acre pond. I have seen pictures of round cinder block reefs and also seen some people scatter small piles of random cinder blocks.

What will work better, 2 cinder block reefs or more smaller piles of cinder blocks.

I don't have a ton of structure currently and am limiting it to one side of the pond. Other side will stay clear for swimming. I have a few x-mas trees to put in and have half a dozen of the fish hiding pvc structures in currently. Other than that, I don't think t here is much else out there in the pond.

Reef example:

https://cdn.instructables.com/FHP/BIIJ/GBVJ83K6/FHPBIIJGBVJ83K6.LARGE.jpg

I think multiple stacks out benefit one large stack IF the stacks are tall enough to outlast the normal silting in of the pond. E.G. One - 6 foot tall stack would be much better than six -1 foot tall stacks because within a few years the shorts stacks could be sunken/buried and no longer useful. Unless, of course, you are trying to promote the spawning of catfish...then multiple low stacks will be more conducive to catfish spawns.

At what depths are you planning to place these stacks, what is your goal for the pond, what types of fish do you wish to grow?

Oh, and welcome to the club!

Last edited by Quarter Acre; 04/13/18 11:59 AM.

Fish on!,
Noel
N
N
Is this an existing pond or one you are building? If it is an existing pond what are you plans for building such a structure underwater? I would love to have a neatly stacked structure like that, but can't think of a way to do it in an existing pond. I would think that it would more likely turn into just a big pile of cinder blocks. That wouldn't be bad either it just wouldn't provide that nice big safe haven in the middle.

Last edited by N.TexasHalfAcre; 04/13/18 01:35 PM.

NTHA - North Texas Half Acre
Cattle Ranch Ponds
T
Twar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
This is an existing 1 acre pond with bluegill, pumpkinseed, and largemouth. We just go the place last summer. Last summer I added windmill aeration with a vertex diffuser.

There is a stunted LMB population that I believe is caused by a lack of food due to no cover for young BG. I don't think the little ones are getting big enough before being eaten. I have found zero structure in the pond, so I added some last fall and plan to continue this summer. I pulled out 25#+ of LMB last year and will remove some more this year. The 8-12" LMB were like a school of sharks circling the pond and I took out every one I could catch. The only BG and pumpkinseeds I could catch were full grown.

To stack the cinder blocks I would simply drop them in a pile from a boat and then get my snorkel gear on. I was thinking of going smaller around than the picture so I could do more, but still go 5 blocks high if possible without it falling down. That would get me to a little over 3 feet tall. I would aim to have it at least 2 feet below the surface, so in a area 5-8 feet deep.

They are free so I plan to use them, just want to have the most efficient use of them. Maybe put low ones in shallower?

I also want to build some type of structure around the 6" PVC pipe where water runs into the pond. Most the year I get good current and it seems to attract fish on its own, but I figure there must be an opportunity to use the current? I was thinking of creating a channel with rocks to contain the current out further into the pond. Pipe dumps in at water level and created a 2'x2'x2' deep pocket and there are always fish in and around it.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have no empirical evidence to support my personal preference, but I would make a small number of larger structures. I think cinder-block colloquiums would be great for fish. This is based purely on gut feel, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

J
J
I don't know about cinder blocks, but my brick piles have flattened considerably. Maybe the 4 to 5 lb CC I used to have pushed them around. I think if you pile the blocks more than three high, they won't stay without some means to lock them together.

T
Twar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I built a circle, 4 block base by 2 block high structure in 2.5' of water over the weekend. That was difficult as the clay got stirred up after setting the first blocks. Going 4 or 5 high will not be easy.

But the small fish love it and were already using it. Some 3-5" bg were also hanging out around it.

I also started a stacked rock peninsula on both sides of the inflow. Problem is after I go out 10' it gets deep quick. Also first winter ice will knock everything down. I need to rethink my approach and goal.

Last edited by Twar; 04/19/18 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
M
M
does your pond freeze? if so I would build those cider block reefs on the ice, tie the blocks together with wire or heavy duty zip ties and let them fall through the thawing ice in the spring.

There's a large pond fish aquarium at my local conservation board office...the only fish in those aquariums that use cinder blocks for cover are the catfish - not saying other fish wouldn't use them, just saying if you had catfish they would definitely use them.

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP
T
Twar Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yes I am in NY so it freezes quite solid. My goal is to build up the forage base by protecting the small fish. I added 2 standing x-mas trees this year in 8-9 feet of water. I think I will drop a few trees and add them as well.

I have an essentially unlimited supply of rocks (shale), so I think I will try and create some piles of rock along the shoreline. I want to get rid of the cinder blocks, so I figured I would use them where possible. Structure is so limited that the small fish get chased into the shore and eaten. It is quite common to watch a larger bass chase fish into such shallow water that its back fin would out of the water.

The pond itself is semi-square. The south east corner is the deepest and will be the swimming area once I build a dock. I have been focusing on the north side for structure, specifically the corners. The West side is the shallowest and that appears to be where the bluegill are spawning. I can see an area covered with craters. Should I add some protection to that area? How deep?

Any other advice?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you are using artificial cover as refuge for small fish it takes a lot of it to be successful; as in one whole side along the shoreline lined with cover. For small fish refuge you should be trying to imitate a sizable weed bed - natural cover. Basically, the more cover you have the more small fish that will survive. If you are not getting adequate amounts of small fish surviving there is not enough cover.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/19/18 11:15 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday