Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
SlabSeeker, wannapond0001, gameP, Oddo, Marizanne
15702 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15702 Members
36 Forums
36153 Topics
492101 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24029
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19619
Dave Davidson1 13631
Bill Cody 12550
Who's Online
14 registered (4CornersPuddle, highflyer, DrLuke, Shorty, DannyMac, dreams of ponds, Bocomo, Augie, hawkeyes, Rainman, wannapond0001, Flame, John Fitzgerald, anthropic), 125 Guests and 478 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#488225 - 04/05/18 06:28 PM Pointers: South Central Florida - Turtle Ponds
Raul G. Offline

Loc: Brownsville TX
I joined this forum, a few years ago and was never really able to research or look up things on here, at the time I was just day dreaming, and looking for sites, that provided good resources for future questions regarding pond builds.

-I recently closed on a property with a few acres of land in Highland County FL

-I keep and breed a few species of turtles and lizards and it has always been my goal to provide some of my animals big naturalistic setups outside. I have seen a few turtle breeders setups here in florida whom setup pond liners with a "stand pipe" through the liner? Is there an actual name for this style of setup of pond?

I would like to setup individual ponds for individual species of turtles I keep. The soil here looks to be sandy, I have well water w/a pump. What do you guys suggest? I live outside the city limits, do I Just dig a hole and see if I hit water? do I do a test run, and dig a hole, and try to fill it up with water? Do you think I'll need a liner? I really cant put down all my thoughts and questions on to here, but basically, I want to do individual ponds, whether liners or natural, I want to setup a trickle system (maybe not a trickle, but enough water to keep it from getting super cold,) I keep certain species of turtles that cant handle the cold. I'm rambling, but if anyone can give me any pointers, or point me to the right links I can read up on that would be great.

I'll try to comeback with a game plan, I'll make time to read some posts, and hopefully within the coming weeks, i'll have a better example of what I'm trying to convey, and the questions/concerns I have.

Thanks

#488279 - 04/07/18 07:16 AM Re: Pointers: South Central Florida - Turtle Ponds [Re: Raul G.]
Dave Davidson1 Offline
Lunker

Loc: Hurst & Bowie, Texas
Welcome back Raul. Never thought of turtle ponds. My immediate thought is that they like to roam a lot. Some type of fence would be needed. At any time I will have between two and ten at my place.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

#488291 - 04/07/18 10:55 AM Re: Pointers: South Central Florida - Turtle Ponds [Re: Raul G.]
Raul G. Offline

Loc: Brownsville TX
These are not my photos but photos of a breedres setup.. do you see how they have the drain/stand pipe. I bascially want to copy this, but wanted to know if there is anything I should be worried about, or anything to consider.

g"/></a>

#488295 - 04/07/18 12:05 PM Re: Pointers: South Central Florida - Turtle Ponds [Re: Raul G.]
Pat Williamson Online   content

Loc: Oakwood,Texas
Raul
Here is a dumb question, why are you raising turtles? Is there a market for them?
Or just for fun

Today's Birthdays
Dustin Pratt, redfinger
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by John Fitzgerald
06:29 PM
Non fed ponds
by jpsdad
05:46 PM
A couple questions
by Vortex 4
05:26 PM
My pond full of outcast
by Matzilla
04:53 PM
Hopeful pond construction spring 2019
by John Fitzgerald
04:04 PM
Happy Birthday DonoBBD!
by stickem'
01:55 PM
A Pond Log by QA
by Bocomo
11:36 AM
Long-time stocked rainbows
by Mfitzs70
06:00 AM
European (redfin) Perch
by ItalyBASS
05:08 PM
PB Magazine arrived!
by Sunil
03:36 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Pond site
Pond dig
My recent haul
Hello From Lufkin Texas!
Cant seem to Identify what this is.  Any thoughts?
Evaluating and adjusting Fish populations and ID

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide