Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,770
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
8 members (ArkieJig, Bigtrh24, rjackson, Dave Davidson1, Freunb02, Bruno616, catscratch, Theo Gallus), 849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
Originally Posted By: ewest
Originally Posted By: DRG
Ewest, I was not super excited about LMB but after reading through the site and listening I have decided that a healthy balance in the pond will be hard with only HSB so I have decided to use both HSB and LMB. I am actually a little excited about having the LMB to catch now!!! Based off 350 bluegil and red ears combined I have put 20 4-6” HSB and 20 6” LMB in my pond (thank you Todd Overton. A very professional fishery). I have heard some say to overstock the predator but I figure I can add more if needed so I tried to stick with the 10:1 ratio.

When walking around the pond I did notice some super small fry all over the shallows!!! I would assume fatheads ? I would take a picture but they are super small.

Thanks,

David

Its not the original fish (with adequate stocking) that will need managing its their offspring.

In most southern locations 10 t0 1 will result in LMB overcrowded in 3 years without harvest. 30 to 1 is suggested for trophy LMB. 10 to 1 is an old recommendation for food production from southern LMB/BG ponds from the 1930s.

I think another big issue besides pure numbers is timing and perhaps even the size of the fish.

In my initial stocking my ratio was 4.3 BG to 1 LMB. By numbers only I should have had excessive bass production and a "big bluegill" type pond. But I ended up with over crowded BG and a few large LMB with limited or even no LMB recruitment. By the numbers what happened should not have happened.

But I think timing and size of fish in my case came into play. I stocked the BG on March 19 and for fingerlings they were very nice fingerlings. Most around 3" and a few even pushing 4". Obviously the previous years spawn. Then it was September before I stocked the LMB fingerlings which were also decent size but not large. Probably 4-6".

Had my initial stocking of BG been the size I got from another fish farm for later stockings of different ponds that were more like 1.5-2", maybe the BG would not have got the upper hand on the bass. Or if I would have stocked them at the same time.

But looking back and knowing what I know now, a lot of those 3" BG placed in March for sure spawned later that summer and it is very possible they could have spawned a couple of times or more before the bass were introduced.

Considering maybe a fourth to half of the fish spawned at least once before the LMB were introduced, and possibly even early enough before the bass were introduced so the fry were already big enough to escape the fingerling bass predation, the ratio at the time the bass were stocked could have grown into a ratio of hundreds to one.
I think there are a number of things that come into play besides just the stocking ratio. My 4.3 BG to 1 LMB got me a trophy bass type pond with overcrowded BG.

Edit: Another fact is I fed the FHM and BG, giving them even better growth and reproductive capacity.

Last edited by snrub; 03/24/18 10:02 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
So right on the size at stocking. Keep in mind what Bill noted about the differences North to South on this subject. In new ponds 3-4 inch BG will spawn quickly in warm water possibly multiple times. While LMB up north often don't spawn until year 2. That can easily lead to overcrowded BG with suppressed LMB spawning. Look in the next PB Mag issue for an article with surprising science on that topic.

That is not as common in the South as LMB stay active longer and usually spawn in yr 1. It can happen anywhere when large hoards of BG are present.

No matter the location achieving and maintain BG/LMB balance is like balancing on the knifes blade. Balance in BG/LMB ponds is not a normal state but is the exception.

Last edited by ewest; 03/27/18 03:29 PM.

D
DRG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
All good info. I ended up stocking the LMB at a 18:1 ratio with the CNBG/re. The remaining 20 bass are HSB so they should not reproduce but will hopefully help put some pressure on the CNBG offspring??? The 20 LMB that I put in we’re all 6-7” fish (not sure if they would spawn this year or not? And the HSB are 4-6” fish. CNBG and red ears hit the pond in December and were 3” bass hit the pond in March so I don’t know how my timing is after all!!! I have seen the HSB and LMB patrolling the shallows a bit!!! I do have what I believe to be fat head fry around the edge of the pond but I don’t think the bluegill have just yet!!!

Last edited by DRG; 03/24/18 08:30 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Please return and periodically keep us updated as time passes as to the apparent balance of species in your pond. You and us will learn from your pond stocking project. Until your bass are spawning expect to be aware of and manually manage the excess CNBG until the bass numbers can start reducing the BG offspring.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/27/18 09:17 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
DRG Offline OP
OP Offline
D
absolutely. Thank yall for the tips and info!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Braggin Time
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 07:12 AM
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by Theo Gallus - 04/18/24 06:14 AM
How many LMB to remove?
by Foozle - 04/18/24 05:59 AM
Opportunistic Munchers