Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,764
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, Snipe, simon, Steve Clubb, Boondoggle, esshup), 756 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
motion3 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi folks, I live in South Washington State and am considering building a pond which I would eventually like to stock with rainbow trout.

Right now the water level is still pretty high from the fall / winter rains. It's probably about 5' at its deepest right now.

the part that is circled in orange in the google maps pic DOES dry during the summer months after maybe 2-3 months of dry hot weather.

I would like the main body of the pond to be about 15-20' deep (too deep??) and to excavate the marsh area in the back to be 4-6' of shaded water. I would like to connect it all so it's one big water system.

thoughts or suggestions? thanks for the help guys!

I know rainbow need between 40 - 60 degree water. The most extreme temps in my area are usually 1-2 weeks in the teens during winter, then 1-2 weeks in the 90's during summer.

S
S
Seems like it would be a very good pond site since it is already holding some water. Where exactly does the water originate (surface?, springs?), and where does it drain to during excessive wet weather? If it's just a low spot which really doesn't have much flow, then I would be a little concerned about oxygen levels and temperature levels during the summer for trout, and might want to take some temperature readings throughout the year. Yes, digging it deeper would help, but I'm not sure whether it would just stratify without much flow. If your climate doesn't stay too hot for too long, then it might work. Definitely ask neighbors in the county if they know of others with a similar situation.

M
motion3 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi sjkrck1, thanks for your response! The water is groundwater. Right across the road is a pretty major river. When the river is high the water hardly seeps but when it is low the water in the main area (and the overflow areas) drains more rapidly.

I had been thinking about the oxygen levels and was considering putting in an air pump. I think that should be more than enough air (amazon has some beefy ones for around $50)

I think what I'm going to do this summer is excavate three deep test holes and check out the soil composition at the bottom and sides. I'm fairly certain it has pretty high clay from some mason jar testing I did earlier but I might have been reading them wrong cause my clay reading well over %15. When I do it again I'll post here for the experts.

I was also considering some sort of pump / filter system

In fact here is my amazon shopping cart of stuff I was thinking about for my pond

http://a.co/hianFli

Thanks again

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Before doing any modification, you should understand any potential environmental laws or permitting so you do not get any "surprises" later.

M
motion3 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi RAH, thanks for the response, I'm not incredibly stoked by permits, fees and inspections, but I understand they're part of life and pond building...

I just hope they don't find any endangered species of flower frog porcupine berries or what have you that keep me from doing anything.

S
S
Originally Posted By: RAH
Before doing any modification, you should understand any potential environmental laws or permitting so you do not get any "surprises" later.

Yes, beware of "swampbuster" laws.

In reality, it will probably be cheaper to build a pond where there is NOT already standing water. You might be better off to leave that wetland as is and select a site above it. Working in muddy muck with large equipment is a slow messy process. Much easier to build a new pond than to renovate an old one.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
S
Is that your house in the lower right of the picture?

If it is, why not build the pond just to the left of it across that access road to the barn? Then you could have something like this to look out your house window like I do.

View of our main pond from our patio (and sun room and kitchen)

Leave the wetlands for the birds, frogs and critters. At least that is the way I would do it.

Last edited by snrub; 03/18/18 11:23 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
M
motion3 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
thanks snrub! Wow you brought up two really good points i hadn't even thought of! In my head I just saw the wet, low part of my property and automatically thought, thats where the pond goes. But whats the point of a pond if i cant even see it from my house where I am 99% of the time.
I'm going to seriously think about other locations. in addition to being more enjoyable and easier to work with, I bet that would also add a lot more value to the home too.

I think you're totally right that disturbing existing wetlands is probably not a good idea. both for the fight with the county and the sake of the ecosystem thats developed back there.

thanks again.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
This a great example of how this forum helps us all out!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
In Washington state, your enlightened legislature has determined the water rights of the entire state belong to cities that are in the various watersheds. Toss on top of that, the EPA drooling over easy money in fines because an existing wetland was disturbed, and life could change dramatically for you....

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

Last edited by RAH; 03/19/18 09:17 AM.
J
J
I would just move to a more favorable state if it was me and wanting a pond. The "red tape" in WA is impossible.

The permitting fees alone for a single 1/4 acre pond would cost more than I have total in both my 1/4 acre ponds. No permitting is required here if the disturbed soil is one acre or less, and if somewhat bigger, the permit is quick and cheap.

R
R
Since this is a big project don't go hasty on it. Secure the papers and whatever the law requires so that when you begin all you'll think about is the end product.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE
by Fishingadventure - 04/17/24 10:48 PM
How many LMB to remove?
by esshup - 04/17/24 10:35 PM